The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

I would guess is the only important thing is to light the green screen so it is completely flat with no shadows on it. Or at least so its even around what you want to chop out ?

So I guess light your subject to fit with the new background and essentially blitz the background separately with a cfl or summut ?

Never done it before but you need a good rim light too I think, this helps separate the background and the subject.

first one is my personal favourite. any way to get on board? i imagine the interior shots would be amazing.

Somthing i shot the other day, a little rushed as it was freezing. i forgot my remote so couldn't do anything longer than 30

8339874274_90c8aff68a.jpg
_MG_6654 by Jimyjoe, on Flickr
and another because i love hats

8339873978_e7c668e7f6.jpg
i-love-hats by Jimyjoe, on Flickr

Don't think you can go onboard to be honest. Meant to be haunted though :S Interior stuff would be awesome though yeah. There are some christmas lights towards the front of the ship which were actually lit up when I was there today. They changed colours but by the time I left they were switched off again :S Spooky!

Both great photographs. I take it you used off camera flash behind the couple for the second photograph? :)

Cheers, top one if a single flash under the stairs to balance the flash bounced into an umbrella next to our couple.

Bottom one is a bare flash behind the couple. Light spilling off them helps to light them on my side too.

Hi,

I am wondering if any of you guys can help me out here.

I am looking to purchase a new set of sticks, but don't have a huge budget. I have decided on the head that I want to get (Manfrotto 496RC2), but am struggling to find the legs I want. The legs I am after must have twist locks, the legs must be able to fold outwards for low angle shots, should weigh in at at least 2kg when combined with the 496RC2 (which weighs around 400g) to remain steady in rough conditions/fast flowing water and cost no more than £100.

The legs I am thinking of getting are the Hahnel Triad 90 (I will be replacing the pistol grip head for the 496RC2) ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hahnel-Triad-90-PG-Professional/dp/B0081G0QMW ) as they have all of the above features I need, and out of the few reviews I have been able to find online, they have all given this tripod 5/5.

I would really appreciate any recommendations, as nearly all of the tripods with the spec I want are super expensive such as Gitzo and similar.

Thanks very much,

Lewis

I have five or six photos in this month's (January) Red Bulletin magazine. Nothing that isn't on my website, but thought I'd mention it. Nice to see how the colours look on paper...

That's very cool indeed! How do you get your hands on a Red Bulletin anyway? I've heard of it, but never touched a copy!

Nice work dude!

We seem to get copies of it turning up here sporadically. Some good stuff in there sometimes, although it's not exactly what you might call in-depth for the most part.

Totally unrelated to that - I went home to Wales this Xmas and found a really good condition Tokina 10-17 fisheye in my room that I'd totally forgotten about. The reason I'd stopped using it was that either the aperture blades are jammed or there's an issue with a connection somewhere. You can shoot photos with it, but only with the lens wide open. You can adjust the aperture on camera, but as soon as you press the shutter button it does some generic Canon error message shit. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them with a lens before, and if so how much is it to have something like that repaired?

i reckon jessops would do you a deal on repairing that ;) i had this issue on a sigma it would only shoot wide open on my 450d but on my mates 400d it was fine. im sure i read somewhere its to do with the chip in the lens, it can be fixed but im not sure for how much.

Great news on those shots look cracking.

In other jessops related news, i was just about to put an order down a 70-200 f4 on interest free only to find out they had gone into administration.

Joe