The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

∧ That Fuji X10 looks sick! Fixed lens right? What focal length equiv. and aperture is that thing rocking?

I have just ordered the new lens.

Went for the 17-40 in the end, as I will be shooting at f/8 or f/11 for the majority of the time, which negated the need for a fast prime, since I never shoot low light handheld or anything like that and am willing to sacrifice some optical quality for versatility. Also there aren't any primes with focal lengths of 16, 17 or 18mm within a suitable price range, and I would have ended up paying a lot more than the cost of the 17-40 for coverage of the same focal lengths.

Thanks very much for the help though guys, you're input was/is much appreciated :)

Received the 17-40 L on wednesday, and the aftermarket hood today, so I thought I'd show you all :D I am incredibly pleased with the IQ, TACK sharp at f/5.6 at all focal lengths, peaking at 28mm where the detail is unbelievable. Not seen much CA, and vignetting and distortion aren't much of an issue on my APS-C body. Also running a Hoya Pro-1 UV on there for some protection.

tumblr_mh70cgnFjm1ruvflao1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Thinking of picking up a cheap camera to get into some mild photography and wondered if I could get some advice??

This came about with Joe Maher selling a cheap Nikon D100 body on ebay, I almost bought that to get me started but after reading a few reviews thought better of it. I don't want to spend a fortune to begin with, I'm thinking old, 2nd hand, £200 altogether tops as this is just purely to get my head around the basics and pick up some knowledge on the differences between various lenses and the like.

Once I start to get to grips obviously I'll look toward picking up something a bit more substantial but for now I just want to try my hand.

Is there anything anyone would suggest as a starting point to go off?

• Like 1

This is the same camera I have and it has served me well for four years, never missed a beat. The kit lens will do you just fine for learning the ropes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290848125217

It may end up for a little bit more than £200 but its got everything you need to get started.

You could probably pick up 400d or 350d but the 450d gets you a larger screen and a few more pixels to play around with. It's also a good base to start with as once you get to know what your doing some nice glass will still create some stunning results.

If you want any more info feel free to drop me a pm.

Joe

• Like 2