The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Probably shouldn't post this publicly with my real name, but what the hell it's only a month before it's revealed anyway...

DSC_391816x9.jpg

(Shortlisted for Professional Photographer of The Year 2012)

Quoting this because more people should see it, amazing photo!

Went to Pyestock for the second time over the weekend, already planning a return trip. It's getting demo'd soon so I really want to see the parts that I've missed.

8505729371_1a6b721f88_c.jpg

Shot's ill Mike!

My d200 has just broken (a snapped CF card pin that I'd previously bent back into place so I was always expecting it to go eventually) and I need an upgrade but I haven't paid attention to new kit for so long I'm a bit lost to be honest. Which Nikon's should I be looking at?

I was originally looking at the d300 which I can get second hand for £550-600, but I've just clocked it only does 720p video and not 1080. Are there any Nikons in a similair price range with 1080p video that aren't plasticy entry level models? Good high ISO performance is also a big priority.

Edited by Max Quinn

You can pick up second hand D7000 bodies for around £550. They're partly magnesium framed (top and back plate, so where it counts) and shoot 1080p from what I remember, much better colour and tone rendition and noise handling than the D300 from what I've experienced too.

Thanks for the positive responses on the picturegraph too people!

You can pick up second hand D7000 bodies for around £550. They're partly magnesium framed (top and back plate, so where it counts) and shoot 1080p from what I remember, much better colour and tone rendition and noise handling than the D300 from what I've experienced too.

Thanks for the positive responses on the picturegraph too people!

Cheers! Gonna have to find somewhere I can try them both I think. It's really a toss up between 1080p video and build quality/ergonomics. I love how bulky and solid my d200 and the feel of a more pro body. Wiith my shooting style it's forever getting knocked about. But 1080p could definitely be useful.

Edited by Max Quinn

Look for the D300s over the D300. Mike's advice is good though - the D7000 is very impressive. I opted for the D300s because I was used to the heavier more 'pro' feel of the D200 chassis, which is more or less what the D300/s one is developed from. With a heavy lens it feels much better - if I put my 17-55mm f/2.8 on a D90 for example, it doesn't feel so balanced. That said, the D300 is a 2007 model and the D300s is 2009 (I think that's right?) so the technology is getting old. I'm sure my Fuji X10 gives better dynamic range than the D300s.

Look for the D300s over the D300. Mike's advice is good though - the D7000 is very impressive. I opted for the D300s because I was used to the heavier more 'pro' feel of the D200 chassis, which is more or less what the D300/s one is developed from. With a heavy lens it feels much better - if I put my 17-55mm f/2.8 on a D90 for example, it doesn't feel so balanced. That said, the D300 is a 2007 model and the D300s is 2009 (I think that's right?) so the technology is getting old. I'm sure my Fuji X10 gives better dynamic range than the D300s.

Cheers! (And to Mike again). Just went in to a shop and had a play, although I much prefer the shape and ergonomics of the d300s (as I've come from a d200 like you), I think I'm gonna have to go with the d7000 for general quality and better video. Although it feels a bit small it doesn't feel flimsy in any way so I'm sure I can get used to it.

Edited by Max Quinn

Photography, For my final major i'm testing the theory that beauty can be mathematical and wanted to incorporate my skills on photoshop so i set about to create a human face in my own image, measure them and see what the results were. Turns out i made a slightly more mathematically beautiful human male than the real males i have measured.. if that makes sense lol

• Like 1

That's on point Dave, other than the (obviously intentional) wonky ears I wouldn't have guessed there's any trickery in there at all and would have skimmed straight past the photo. But the more you look at it the more wierd it seems and you can't work out why.

Edited by Max Quinn

Im sure you have seen this before, but I'm interested to know if you think this has gone through post production? I just cannot imagine having that much colour whilst being able to see the milkyway so vividly. I know shutter speed will play a big part in the night shots, So using something like a gopro at night would be useless? Have to be a DSLR with adjustable shutter speeds?

Im new to all this so sorry if any questions seem dumb.

Also, with the movement (panning) in the shot does that mean his camera is set up on a timed track or could he have done that in post production? As in, zoomed in on the whole shot then panned it across the original shot? Does that make any sense?

There's almost certainly some colour grading there, which is normal as footage straight out of camera will generally be pretty flat to encompass as broad a range of tones as possible.

Saying that, photos I've taken of the Milky Way have been as colourful... And the vivid orange glow from light pollution is normally pretty intense.

And yep, using a GoPro at night would be useless. You'd need something with a large sensor to collect as much light as possible and full control over ISO/aperture/shutter. I normally find ISO6400 f/2 and 15secs is a good starting point for the milky way.

The panning is done during shooting. The dynamic movement between layers in the scene is only achievable by physically moving the vantage point of the camera, doing it in post afterwards would result in just a flat black layer in the foreground sliding across the frame with no separation or depth perception.

• Like 2

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/ASK-Direct/19031224?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_74&a=1664

Hopefully it works for you. If not, then its a Canon EOS 550D (as used by Mark W in some/all his videos I believe) with Canon EF-S 18-55mm and Canon EF 75-300mm lenses for £496.

Haven't done much research but seems a fairly decent deal.