Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Yeah I was happy with that.

But anyway, I learned a lot about 4k over the last few days. For a start, it seems that the only mainstream place I can watch 4k content is youtube. Amazon and Netflix offer 4k, but only to certain devices. 4k tvs and the new xbox one and ps4 for example. I didn't know this so when I went to watch the latest episode of The Grand Tour, it was still in 1080.

From what I've read to get 4k from those two services you're going to need the newer processors (Kaby Lake) to watch videos in 4k. Has something to do with copywrite bullshit.

Secondly. A 27" monitor is too small for 4k. Running hearthstone in 4k made me realize that to get the full benefit from 4k on a 27" monitor you have to have your face less than 12 inches away from the screen. My normal viewing range can be anywhere from 1.5ft to 5ft depending on what I'm doing. Reclining back and watching a 4k movie you don't see a doubled improvement over 1080 that's for sure, maybe not even a 50% improvement from that distance back.

Because of that I'd certainly recommend a QWHD (1440p) for a 27" monitor or smaller rather than 4k if that gets you better bang for the buck, but with 4k becoming more popular you might just get a better deal with 4k than QWHD anyway. I honestly have no idea why anyone would want a 4k monitor 24" and smaller, but they do make them.

In hindsight I probably should have waited for 32" monitors to be more common and affordable, but who knows how long that's going to be.

Yup, it's massive screens that benefit from higher res. the need for HD really became apparent on early 42" plasmas, as they were shit unless you sat far enough away that you couldn't see much at all...

Makes me laugh how phones have super high res screens now, it's totally pointless.

Your size seems alright, but I wouldn't get anything smaller.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Long time no post from me. I'm about to try sell my desktop computer because I'm moving from New Zealand to Canada and I want to downgrade to a laptop for convenience. I just know nothing about how much computers drop in value. I bought it mid 2013, built up as a video editing and gaming PC so I got decent stuff at the time and I honestly can't even tell if it's slowed down yet. Still seems to go like it did when I got it.

Intel i7-4770 3,4GHz processor

16GB RAM

Samsung 120GB SSD and Seagate 1TB HHD

Cooler Master G7000 700W

Sapphire HD7870 2GB Overclocked graphics card

23" LG IPS LED Monitor 

I've since bought a Gigabyte wireless adapter because I didn't have it when I got it. I paid $2300 at the time (1300 GBP), I would like to think that I would still get about $1500 (850 GBP) with a keyboard, mouse and Logitec speakers thrown in but I just don't know. I'll chuck the full specs in so you smart cats can see the whole thang. I'm so keen not to sell it for less than it's worth because she's still my baby and I kinda don't want to sell it, but I need a laptop...

chur.jpg

Edited by Joe O'Connor
Spooky ghosts

I can't give you an exact number, but I think a 3 year old PC isn't going to sell for much more than 50% of it's original price. Especially with how much HDDs and SSDs have come down over the last couple of years. I'd be shooting for about $1200 maybe but it all depends on the used market in NZ.

I built a couple of machines with almost the exact same spec (used 4770k to overclock) for solidworks at work a couple of years ago, they were just shy of £700 each without a gpu.

I reckon you could get around £500 ish on eBay but it might be completely different market in nz. You would get more money if it were the 4770k as there is far more demand with the extended usability of an overclockable processor.

As JT pointed out, tech prices have come down dramatically in the last few years.

• 4 months later...

So this was my night trying to figure shit out.

I can't watch netflix or amazon video in 4k because I don't have a 10th gen gpu. Apparently you have to have a 10th gen gpu because of all the encoding bullshit. So I look up the cheapest gtx 1050 and see that it's about $99. Thinking about buying it when I do more reading up and turns out the gpu has to have at least 3gb of ram to watch netflix in 4k. In the same place I read this I also read that to stream 4k from netflix...

1. You have to have the windows insider version of windows 10.
2. 10th gen gpu with 3gb of ram or more.
3. A 4k HDCP 2.2 port on the monitor.
4. No non-HDCP 2.2 monitor ports attached to the GPU.
5. Edge browser

That's insane, clearly 4k streaming is not ready for PC. So I think, chromcast ultra. Just about to buy one when I realize that the only sound output my monitor has is a headphone jack. I have some high ohm headphones so that's not going to work, and I have a soundcard / headphone amp in my PC which doesn't help either. So I have no way of getting decent sound to my headphones.

So next option would be a 4k bluray player... if I'm going to buy something that streams 4k might as well get something that can play the discs too for future proofing. But then I realize I'm going to have the same problem with the sound.

So I steal our didgital amp / DAC from our living room. That's mine now. Wife doesn't know yet. Connect my PC up to it via toslink, which is when I realize this thing only has one digital input anyway. Luckily, toslink switches are cheap. So I buy the switch, picked up a 4k bluray player for $150 with optical out, some toslink cables and I should be all set. Not the ideal solution but it should work just fine.

What a massive ballache.

Why can my middle of the range TV stream 4K with no problems then? Serious question, not trying to be an arse. I think it was about £700, and streams 4K from Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube with no problems directly on the TV. 

Tesco had some proper cheap'n'nasty 4k units for under £300 earlier in the year. Whilst they're not going to be amazing quality panels etc, they were able to kick out an image far exceeding 1080p quality and when rigged up to a laptop (again, nothing special here) the resolution was convincing enough. Had Netflix/YouTube/etc as pre-installed apps too. Almost bought one at the time but put it off, sort of wish I had now in hindsight but I digress. It's 100% possible to view 4k sources without anything particularly high-end.

21 hours ago, JD™ said:

Why can my middle of the range TV stream 4K with no problems then? Serious question, not trying to be an arse. I think it was about £700, and streams 4K from Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube with no problems directly on the TV. 

It's all about the encryption. Companies wanting to keep their movies and TV shows safe. You still can't get a bluray drive for your PC and just play a bluray, won't work. Companies make it easier and more accessible for TV / smart player manufacturers because that's where the real money is. Also with PCs being built out of many different parts it seems a lot more difficult so they don't bother.

1 hour ago, manuel said:

Anyone got any ideas on an fm radio USB dongle type thing that would be Linux compatible? 

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/mini-digital-tv-stick?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1197509865&gclid=CjwKEAjw9MrIBRCr2LPek5-h8U0SJAD3jfhtyiO-zQ-c8i3w5g_jL0i7yMzFZBwhNOcittMEjzCAfxoCFYfw_wcB

That dongle is RasPi compatible, so should be ok with any Debian-based distro at least.

Most stations have a live stream anyway, so that may be a better option depending on the circumstances of use?

Haha, well that's not my experience. Although I'm renting movies as soon as they're coming out so maybe that's the problem. I had to buy AnyDVD HD just to get past the encryption for them to even play.

Question, any help appreciated:

I need to log in to a router config page to set up port forwarding. User/pass are set to defaults, user being "admin" and password being the serial number of the router. Sadly, the sticker displaying the router SN has been ripped off.

Is there any way I can find the serial number?

I'm sure that if I could log in then it'd be displayed on the config page, but to get there I need it to log in of course! I'm connected to the network. Router is a Technicolor TG582n if it makes any difference.

Long shot, but I'd whip the case off to check there's not another SN sticker on the inside.

That, or the other option is to flash it with some other router software which'll be better than the stuff on it anyway. 

23 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Question, any help appreciated:

I need to log in to a router config page to set up port forwarding. User/pass are set to defaults, user being "admin" and password being the serial number of the router. Sadly, the sticker displaying the router SN has been ripped off.

Is there any way I can find the serial number?

I'm sure that if I could log in then it'd be displayed on the config page, but to get there I need it to log in of course! I'm connected to the network. Router is a Technicolor TG582n if it makes any difference.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Security-TG582n-transmits-occasionally-the-serial-number/td-p/1009720

any good?