The Happy Thread

Duncy H

it seems okay, it didn't look shitty and horrible like i anticipated. looks reasonable for trials too

Yeah, it's definitely got spots. Not a million miles away from all the estates around Wandsworth Roundabout which are good too, then on from there towards SW/S/SE London you've got tonnes of stuff. If you're willing to travel around London a bit you're going to be able to ride some amazing stuff. Seems like there are more people popping up on here/FB who are riding in London regularly too so you could get some people to ride with as well if you get all sociable and shit.

Speaking of, first day working at TartyBikes again today. Kind of weird to not be self-employed again but it was really fun to be back in the office chatting shit again, and I'm looking forward to what can be done in the future. New house is decent too - had a long chat with two of my other housemates today and although I'm definitely the odd one out here in terms of personality and the like it was interesting and we seemed to get on pretty well.

• Like 2

11885342_1663419647206543_87488154743362

So happy with it!

First thing I did yesterday was take it to my local jewlers to have the movement inspected and authenticity confirmed, which all went perfectly. Then I had it resealed and the casing polished.

I'm loving the size, I compared it to one of my salesmen's Planet Ocean and it's just a much more tactile watch. I had a few nice comments down the pub last night too.

In the last couple of weeks I've been to Millaa Millaa, Fitzroy Island, Kuranda, Cape Tribulation, the Great Barrier Reef, Whitehaven, Fraser Island, and lots of other tropical idyllic places I'm now on my way to Uluru then Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road.

It's been excellent!

• Like 1

In the last couple of weeks I've been to Millaa Millaa, Fitzroy Island, Kuranda, Cape Tribulation, the Great Barrier Reef, Whitehaven, Fraser Island, and lots of other tropical idyllic places I'm now on my way to Uluru then Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road.

It's been excellent!

2832655391430821467.jpeg?v=1331483311.59

A HAPPY POST

• Like 3

Finally got the dh bike running super smooth ready for Morzine on Saturday.

Looking forward to it. Has anyone got some tips for packing bikes for planes in bike boxes?

I used to be really anal about packing my bike, padded everything and even removed the chain but the last few times I have been lazier.

Deflate tyres

Remove pedals, put in jiffy bag or wrap in bubble wrap

Remove front wheel

Place something in between brake pads so the pistons don't accidentally pop out

Remove the disc from front wheel, put disk in jiffy bag or wrap in bubble wrap (I know people that don't even bother removing the disk and they usually get away with it)

Remove handlebars and pad them at any point you think might contact the frame/forks

Unscrew rear mech and leave it dangling, you can put it in a jiffy bag or bubble wrap is you want

Put everything neatly in the box. Make sure the box is taped up well and write your flight/contact details on the box with a marker pen. Make sure you use tape to reinforce any handles.

Instead of using bubble wrap you can use your bike clothing. Also things like a camelbak can be used to pack empty space.

Note - I ride small bikes so have been lucky and so far haven't needed to remove rear wheels, you might not be so lucky but I'm sure you will figure it out.

• Like 1

I used to be really anal about packing my bike, padded everything and even removed the chain but the last few times I have been lazier.

Note - I ride small bikes so have been lucky and so far haven't needed to remove rear wheels, you might not be so lucky but I'm sure you will figure it out.

Cool thanks, thats some good points, especially about the handles and details. I'm also thinking of removing the hanger, chain guide upper and lower as they are pretty flimsy. Although I do hope the handlers will be nice haha.

Its a size large bike so its pretty big, but the box is huge. Its almost double the width and a bit longer than your standard box. Its probably an XXL if bike boxes come in sizes. So I think I'll be able to leave the rear wheel on. Planning to chuck my slackline and other stuff in there too to pad it out

Deflate tyres

Remove the disc from front wheel, put disk in jiffy bag or wrap in bubble wrap (I know people that don't even bother removing the disk and they usually get away with it)

I don't do either of those things and haven't had any issues. I usually ziptie some of those plastic UFO-style hub spacers in place, or fold up some bubblewrap and zip-tie it in place.

Tend to leave my tyres inflated so they protect the rims/wheels a bit more too.