Chain enquiry.. KMC 510/610/HX... Motorcycle chains

Andeee

So you're telling me big comp riders don't put any power into their moves?

Have you seen majority of comp riders today? They have no meat on them!!!! Probz weigh about 10 stone n'all

Edited by Andeee

Danny, leave the lad alone. Andy can post shit but you respond, making you just as bad! Buy a chain and shut up dragging brands names down and causing shit arguments andy! Kidney, stop over think and ride man. Weld hear weld there Jesus Christ man.

• Like 1

Iv'e recently put on a kmx z610hx onto my new mod build and its been nothing but trouble. iv'e only ridden the bike round to get used to it, not actually using it for proper trials use and its constantly stretching and i'm considering replacing it already. i know its definatly the chain stretching rarther than the wheel slipping forward in the dropouts cos the brakes still work perfect. i've only used it for 1 hour riding time so far aswell, surely this isnt right

Must be something wrong. Everyone uses them.

They stretch a bit but not as much as you are making out. Certainly not on the first hours ride anyways.

Can you let us know your setup or post a picture?

Edited by CalopS

mine has beden stretching loads to be honest. i'm using an admant a3 frame, kmc chain, trialtech front screw on sprocket and using an adamant rear hub. no idea if they have anything to do with it but i'm blaming it on the chain

Edited by hosay57

True but then Bigman never had a problem with snapping chains? He had his technique dialled and was nice and smooth and could outgap 95% of people on this forum.

After the rider weight thing had been mentioned I was wondering how long it would be until somebody mentioned me!! Smoothness of the power delivery through the cranks - freewheel - chain is a massively important thing, I know you probably wouldn't have made such an issue of it if it was sombody other than Ali that mentioned it, but it is seriously worth looking into it, ensure your at the engagement point of the freewheel and then push, don't just rely on the fact that all these new 108engagement freewheels will have an engagement soon, preloading the drivetrain is quite important!

I ran KMC Z610hx chains for years and I don't actually remember snapping any, I would generaly replace it after 5 - 6 months as a precaution. I weighed between 19 - 20 stone pretty much throughout my riding time, I was gapping 8ft + and never had any worries regarding my drivetrain!

I am running a Z610hx on my inspired now, and don't plan on changing it out, I would even run this chain if I decided to try brakeless, which as we know puts serious strain on chains and freewheels etc!

Adam

• Like 2

I am running a Z610hx on my inspired now, I would even run this chain if I decided to try brakeless, which as we know puts serious strain on chains and freewheels etc!

Adam

On this note, tarty's chain page says that flipp runs a 510HX. If that means owt anyway (showing its strength i mean.)

Just buy a tank, two of my friends run them and three of the bmx lot at the local park were converted the second they looked at one in the flesh.

Aside from the stiff links big chains naturally get (KHE collapse's did the same and I had four of them, a firm TF favorite too) the tank should be/will be/is the last word in chains

Edited by CC12345678910

Why was the KHE collapse discontinued anyway? It was an amazing chain if you kept it lubricated.

BMXers have told me that it (read this bit in your best moany, whiny, high pitched, taking the piss, girl voice)

broke their pathetic and sh*t excuse for 'drivers', because it stayed together where a BMX standard, godawful chain (usually a half link jobby) would snap, taking the brunt,

They were also blamed for breaking what they call a sprocket.

Once a whinge like that got hold, I believe sales went south and us lot were ignored/didn't exist.

if you are a spaz at joining chains

Nice. proper PC that. eeee :D

Edited by CC12345678910

Just to weigh in a little late. Im quite a large rider. Fully clothed im the best part of 15 stone and a similar build to you andee. Not to get at you but im confident my tgs numbers match or beat your own. Im running a kool chain. I replace it every 12 weeks. Or before a significant ride somewhere new. I also bought a high end chain tool. Which os probably the most significant factor in my lack of chain snaps... drop proper money on a hefty chain tool like a fat spanner or park tool. Ideally one with an adjustable end... and you'll avoid a lot of problems. The tank chain is tough. But its stiff and makes your whole drive train feel sluggish. ..

• Like 1

BMXers have told me that it (read this bit in your best moany, whiny, high pitched, taking the piss, girl voice)

broke their pathetic and sh*t excuse for 'drivers', because it stayed together where a BMX standard, godawful chain (usually a half link jobby) would snap, taking the brunt,

They were also blamed for breaking what they call a sprocket.

Once a whinge like that got hold, I believe sales went south and us lot were ignored/didn't exist.

Nice. proper PC that. eeee :D

Probably had something to do with them being notorious for having rollers snap and stiff links developing. All the Collapses I had weren't great quality. Because of those stiff links/rollers shitting the bed I'd imagine on a 9t driver they'd probably run pretty badly too, so it's not massively surprising that a BMX company that almost exclusively uses 9t drivers might opt to avoid using it.

Most BMXers use Z510HX chains, and most riders I've met haven't really had much of a problem with chains breaking apart from just ragging them apart because of them hanging up mid-grind.

Forget you are a teeny-wheeler as well

z510s are about £12 too much for the park rats in my town.

If it can't be cobbled together outta 20 different chain pieces, in wont land on their bike.

You should see the general state of rest of the bike too. Sight for sore eyes that is...

My opinion of BMX has probably been tainted because a few locally are not my favorite people of this earth.

You and your mates mark must be the upmarket ones.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1