what is TGS?

HippY

Okay guys I need a little help.

I started trials about a year ago, so I am a new rider who does not know loads of things about trials history so far.

In loads of topic everyone is talking about a style called TGS=Taps Gaps Sidehops, if I know it well.

My question would be what is that style? I believe and hope it is something more than people doing taps and gaps and sidehops, maybe a style

Can you explain it to me and show some videos please?

Hmmm - not so sure about that one.

They're moves that come from comp riding used on their own to get up, over or across obstacles. If they were moves originally used in comps then surely tgs (the stylenot the name) is derived from comp riding.

It's not as literal as it sounds. It refers more to single power move riding. It's derived from comp riding.

actually, it all started (more or less) with neil* and craig

and clearly their riding style was inspired by hermance and the coust

they kind of stole that "long wb pogo stick riding style" and adapted it to uk street riding

(even though, at that time french riding style was so much more than just pogo stick hoppin around)

the funny thing is, years later, I heard gilles coust was inspired by some of the damon skills on side hops and up to fronts to improve his own performance on big moves...

*neil, at first was still bunny hoppin a lot (giant bunny hops) so it was kind of hybrid tgs/trialskings style, and then he jumped on the long wb bandwagon

this --->

Edited by chimpanzyyyy

They're moves that come from comp riding used on their own to get up, over or across obstacles. If they were moves originally used in comps then surely tgs (the stylenot the name) is derived from comp riding.

Not really, comps have progressively become set more towards the need for these moves (in the Elite classes anyhow) as the years have gone on. As the standard of riders is improving the need to make the sections more difficult has increased. Moves originally used in comps were just generally bunnyhopping about and rolling over stuff which most of the lower down routes still utilise.

Plus Ali answered the question in the post before yours.

I remember 2005, when people would describe the riding style of both Danny Mc and Neil T / CLS as "street" and then many arguments would come from the misunderstanding. "TGS" cleared a lot of that up.

Not really, comps have progressively become set more towards the need for these moves (in the Elite classes anyhow) as the years have gone on. As the standard of riders is improving the need to make the sections more difficult has increased. Moves originally used in comps were just generally bunnyhopping about and rolling over stuff which most of the lower down routes still utilise.

Plus Ali answered the question in the post before yours.

He explained the name which he gave to a style that already existed. He didn't explain where the style came from. Plus I didn't mean those are the original moves that were used in comps, if you read it back you will see that I meant the moves were used in comps then people started doing them in the streets.