Trials Evolution.

BradJohnson

I've been thinking this over for some time now, and just wanted to see peoples view's on it.

First of all, the question is. How long will it be until a trials bike is no longer functional as a bike?

Here's a bit of information to think about.

Over the past 30 years, trials as a sport has changed dramatically.
First of all the riding styles are completely different. Back when trials first started the aim was:
To pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground.

These days we now have a few new styles. Eg) Street Trials which is an adoption of BMX freestyle riding. This a totally unique style of riding where the riders aim is to flow around streets, riding everyday objects, such as walls, stair sets ETC while styling it up with spins.

TGS (Tap, Gap ,Sidehop), is also a relatively new style of riding, where the riders aim is to hop the bike as high as possible on everyday street objects.

Competition/ Natural riding is where riders, rider objects such as rocks, logs and other natural objects. This style of riding comes from motorcycle trials.

As well as riding styles, the bikes have changed a lot.

Here's a Montesa from 1982:

1982-Montesa-Gary-Sansom-DeutchBMXmuseum

This bike still resembles an every day bike:

Seat
20" wheels front and back (as a posed to a 19" rear wheel we have today)
BMX Style Handlebars
Generic stem clamping system.
Freewheel on the hub

30 years on our bikes are looking like this: (shout out to Harmertrials)

20130830_181830_zpsd8cb4f7c.jpg

Today's bikes are no longer looking like you everyday 'Functional bike'

The materials we are using are different;

Carbon Fibre for Handlebars and Forks,
Titanium for bolts, sprockets, freewheels
Aluminium for frames.

The frames we use no longer look like your average bike, the Geometry is a lot different, and there's no longer an option to run a seat.
The rims we use are no drilled to save weight and are a different width to an average bike, and we attack them with an angle grinder to give a better braking surface.
Freewheels are now mounted to the crank to allow us to run a lower gear ration and to distribute weight evenly.
The stems we use are now a trials specific design in term of the clamping system and geometry.
Also the angle top competition riders are running their bars at these days is a lot different to how they where back when trials started.
Lastly our brake pads are now trials specific because everyday pads no longer stand up to our needs.

How long will it be until our bikes are no longer classed as bikes, but instead classes as sports equipment?

I'm probably simplifying here but I think the only real difference is the no seat thing. Put a seat on a trials bike and people are still going to go 'hey look, a bike'

This. The average joe will see a trials bike with a seat and think its a normal bike. Ok maybe a bit blingy but still a normal bike. They can tell the difference quite easily when the seat is not there. Whereas a mountain biker would be able to spot one a mile off and say its a street trials bike

A bike is a piece of sports equipment if it's used for sport. Especially a trials bike which doesn't really serve any other purpose than riding trials. I think the bikes have evolved to suit the styles of riding so unless riding styles change drastically then the bikes will stay fairly similar to how they are now. The changes that will happen will be subtle, for example, different materials and changes in geometry.

I'm probably simplifying here but I think the only real difference is the no seat thing. Put a seat on a trials bike and people are still going to go 'hey look, a bike'

All as it really takes is some sort of drivetrain revamp and then we no longer ride a bike?

For example) Something like a spring loaded mechanism like you used to get in a toy car when you where a kid, roll backwards and then the tension springs you forwards.

This obviously wouldn't work for some moves but it is possible.

A bike is a piece of sports equipment if it's used for sport. Especially a trials bike which doesn't really serve any other purpose than riding trials. I think the bikes have evolved to suit the styles of riding so unless riding styles change drastically then the bikes will stay fairly similar to how they are now. The changes that will happen will be subtle, for example, different materials and changes in geometry.

How long is it going to be until everyone's looking at 60" obstacles as a warm up. Its inevitable.

Trials to me comes across as something that you can either do or you can't, and something that can't really be learnt easily. Golf is the same, some people get to a level where they can't progress any further, no matter how hard they try. I'm stuck at a level now that I can't seem to progress past, and I was the same with golf, couldn't seem to break the 90 shot barrier at most courses. Changing equipment doesn't really help matters either. Some people simply have the ability to do it well, and be outstanding in their field. Some don't, and to me it can't be taught or learnt. You've either got it or you haven't.

Trials to me comes across as something that you can either do or you can't, and something that can't really be learnt easily. Golf is the same, some people get to a level where they can't progress any further, no matter how hard they try. I'm stuck at a level now that I can't seem to progress past, and I was the same with golf, couldn't seem to break the 90 shot barrier at most courses. Changing equipment doesn't really help matters either. Some people simply have the ability to do it well, and be outstanding in their field. Some don't, and to me it can't be taught or learnt. You've either got it or you haven't.

As the equipment evolves, riding will become much easier, which will aid dramatic progression.

So where is the next major evolution in trials going to come from? Unless hope decide to make a 116 rear pro 2, or a freewheel, or a hope rim brake, I can't see anything else revolutionary being made. Through axle cranks are already being tested and brought out. As the other topic mentions, a change in wheel size won't happen anytime soon. Carbon stock frame maybe? Carbon rims?

Edited by bing

So where is the next major evolution in trials going to come from? Unless hope decide to make a 116 rear pro 2, or a freewheel, or a hope rim brake, I can't see anything else revolutionary being made. Through axle cranks are already being tested and brought out. As the other topic mentions, a change in wheel size won't happen anytime soon. Carbon stock frame maybe? Carbon rims?

Drivetrain revamp, Frames made from a single tube also a one piece bar/ stem combo made from carbon is possible as riders these days are going for the forwards bar angle?

What if we no longer run forks and a front wheel?

Drivetrain revamp, Frames made from a single tube also a one piece bar/ stem combo made from carbon is possible as riders these days are going for the forwards bar angle?

What if we no longer run forks and a front wheel?

Then it'll be a very complicated unicycle mate. You been smoking summat? :)

How long is it going to be until everyone's looking at 60" obstacles as a warm up. Its inevitable.

Is going bigger really that much of a development though? A gap is a gap and a sidehop is a sidehop. Going 1 inch bigger than the person before you is a good achievement but it won't push the sport a new direction. I can see the street scene changing a bit and having more of a bmx influence.

large_koxxKloudWithSaddle.png?0

With carbon fork and handlebars, Ti bolts and Superspokes, this could still be sub 9.

And Gilles could probably win the World Cup on it.

Edited by stirlingpowers
  • Like 4

not sure if this is legit or not?

This was the initial test image manip for the project.

Front and rear pogo sticks instead of wheels and the crank acts to change the direction of the rear one?

and a nice bouquet of flowers up the ass and a pig face mask for the rider.

Then, with the right kind of music, something really magical could happen.

• Like 1