I haven't been on a holiday in 18 years

Greetings

Well, at least not on a proper one. Me and my gf want to go somewhere. I haven't been on a holiday for 18 years so not really sure what holidays are like nowadays hence some general questions which some might find retarded or really obvious.

We can only go for 7 days due to my work obligations. What worries me a lot is that I'll get incredibly bored very quickly. I'd obviously like to spend 2 days on the beach to relax and get completely hammered but the remaining days I'd like to do something fun. The last thing I want is to arrive at the hotel and then try to work out what there is to do. I want my activities planned and especially paid for way before setting off. My biggest problem is - what does one do on holidays? The only thing I can think of is scuba diving. What else does one usually do during a holiday? Can you guys recommend anything?

We're currently looking at Europe and the north African coast. We're both rather excited about the Maldives but decided that for a first holiday it's probably worth going somewhere more affordable to get a grasp on what holidaying is all about.

When we go abroad as a family we generally just visit the local areas and later on (3-4 days in) we usually visit the larger towns away from where we're staying, nothing is ever planned before we go.

We generally go to somewhere further out in the morning, have an early lunch, explore the area and visit many shops in which we very rarely buy anything. After we've done our exploring for the day we go back to where we stay, have a quick shower and go out for a meal.

It's just finding what you like, we're a family so we can't do what we want as individuals but we still enjoy it greatly.

I should imagine its much different being only you and your partner but do things you wouldn't normally.

Look at off road buggying, paragliding, wildlife reserves, water parks.. Things that you always look at and think "I'd love to try that"

Sorry for the babbling but I hope it helped :)

My holiday advise - (based on typical "sun" holidaying) I'm off to Turkey on Friday for £580 all inclusive for a week with the missis (£290 each think it may have been cheaper actually):

1. For me going away is mostly about price and sun. Keep it cheap get to the sun and do it more often then blowing all your money on 1 more lush experiecne. I get 5 weeks holiday with my job and would prefer to go on 2/3 holidays mini-breaks a year rather than 1 lavish holiday. I have done very expensive holidays in the past and to be honest if your by the pool in the sunshine with a beer it doesn't matter if your paying £200 or £1400 your still going to have a huge smile on your face and feel super relaxed!

2. Go close but far away enough - when your looking at prices generally the most expensive thing about the holiday is the flight so find places interesting and different but as close as possible

3. Go all inclusive - Not only does this make budgeting your whole holiday easier it makes the whole thing more easy to enjoy. You can go to the bar and get a beer whenever you want to and even if the food isn't great its always good enough for brekfast and lunch and you can go eat somewhere else for dinner and still easily make your money back in beer / ice cream.

4. Planning VS Non-Planning. There is always plently to do on holiday so don't worry about being bored. If you go with a travel agency you will be able to pick and chose what you do. For instance with my partner we have planned 2 days somewhere in the middle of the holiday. An all day boat trip and a swim with dolphins / water park day. This will let us walk the beach and see something fun - banna boats - paragliding - jet ski's etc and do these things more spontanious.

5. Money out there - people always prang about exchange rates etc. For the £200 or so you will spend out there dont get stressed just take a couple of debit cards with you and make withdrawls during your holiday. This means if 1 card gets blocked you always have another. Me and the missis will take £100 converted cash and take the rest out out there.

If you have any more specific questions just ask :)

Edited by Simpson

I'm the same Alex, really struggle to sit still for more than a couple of days! We tend to do all inclusive hotels with plenty of free sports on site, so there's always stuff for me to do - football, tennis, archery, boules, table tennis, high ropes course, diving/snorkelling etc. - while Claire can sit in the sun and read and relax in a more regular way :P

Thanks guys, great advice so far. Sounds like I'm panicking too much but that's often the case when you want to do something right with no past experience. Part of the reason why I haven't been on holiday for so long is that I don't believe you can have a decent holiday for £300-£400 per person. It just sounds weird. This is what I'd spend going on a holiday in my car locally, can't imagine how the flight, a hotel and meals can be just as cheap.

I've heard all inclusive is a must and frankly speaking I wouldn't have it any other way. Would you say Simpson that activities on holidays are reasonably priced or do they overcharge just because they know they can? I know this is rather a general question.

So from what Simps wrote, it sounds like the travel agency can easily arrange one or two full day outings during the stay or would this be something organised by the hotel on the spot? Dolphins sound like an ace experience, you see this is why I asked what you can do on holiday :P Would never have occurred to me but sounds like so much fun.

So far we've only looked on the internet and through catalogues but it seems like visiting a travel agency is a must to get the most out of a trip.

The best holidays I have been on have incorporated adventure.

The best being a 3000 mile motorbike tour of Europe with Dad.

The second being an element of a Magaluf holiday when me and my best friend hired scooters for 3 days and rode to the North if the island and toured round. Stayed in some cool places too. By far the highlight of the trip.

You can't beat a week skiing in the alps though.

:)

Edited by shercofray

Definitely agree ^

My best holidays have been cycling to Paris and back with my dad, camping wherever we found a place to camp. So dodgy but so adventurous, also had an amazing week of riding in the Alps too.

But I'm pretty sure Alexs partner won't be so sure about that haha

Edited by Jake.

I've heard all inclusive is a must and frankly speaking I wouldn't have it any other way. Would you say Simpson that activities on holidays are reasonably priced or do they overcharge just because they know they can? I know this is rather a general question.

They're normally pretty resonable. I mean they do over charge compared to local rates but there are genuine reaons for that. Take into example the boat trip: You will get lifts too and from the boat, you can be assured that the boat will have all regulation saftey checks and be of a standard you would expect, there may be a rep from your tour aboard who will speak your language and maybe point out some sights etc. On average they put a 20-30% premium on the cost or something so its not too bad at all. As you said booking before your trip and gives you something to look forward to before you go and also you know it wont be a stressful negotiagtion in a foreign language once you get there.

For £300-£400 you would definately expect a clean place with decent food. Just be sensible before you book check trip advisor reveiws and ratings of places. Places charging exactly the same can have vastly different oppinions of a place. Also don't get scared from looking at reveiws just go on a "general concencus" some people are just dicks and will moan no end about tiny things but don't let that put you off.

Edited by Simpson

Definitely agree ^

My best holidays have been cycling to Paris and back with my dad, camping wherever we found a place to camp. So dodgy but so adventurous, also had an amazing week of riding in the Alps too.

But I'm pretty sure Alexs partner won't be so sure about that haha

She's not real anyway, only photographic evidence would prove otherwise though of course...

• Like 3

I haven't read the whole thread, and I'm not a fan of disagreeing with someone I consider a friend, but I have to mention that I think Simps' advice about going all inclusive is a crock of shit. All inclusive means you're stuck at one place drinking shit beer or wine. Give yourself the freedom of half board :)

• Like 2

Obviously you do care, hence the 'how the hell can you buy a house' thread not long ago :P Everyone's different, some people like to save money to buy something tangible, others like to go out drinking, on holiday etc.

I'm not one for planning too much stuff out in advance, but then again my 'holidays' are often (deliberately) anything but relaxing.

Personally if I was looking to go away in Europe for a week it'd either be walking in the Alps or somewhere near the Med and rent a car, travel about a bit. Budget-wise I have no idea how much those things cost. But you can do a lot at low cost if you're imaginative. Me and a girl did a week-long trip in Spain in 2012 - we took her car, mainly stayed at campsites and just toured around. We had an amazing time.

I find going out of season to somewhere not too popular usually ends up being cheap. Vehicle rental prices usually come down and I like to get away off the beaten track. With a bit of research you can get pretty much everything you want out of a holiday for a good price.

I haven't read the whole thread, and I'm not a fan of disagreeing with someone I consider a friend, but I have to mention that I think Simps' advice about going all inclusive is a crock of shit. All inclusive means you're stuck at one place drinking shit beer or wine. Give yourself the freedom of half board :)

Was like £30-£40 more expensive to go all inclusive. As I said before even if you use it as a bare minimum your still not at the risk of loosing any money. I have done the whole half board / self catering stuff but eating out and having a few beers one night of the holiday will cost £20 so makes no sense to me. Means you have to bother finding a shop and stocking up on water etc, Each to their own I guess if we were all the same the world would be boring eh!

I rate Ibiza very highly. Book early enough and you can get 3 nights for about £150 including flights!

Ibiza has three main areas: Chav shit, decent clubs, chilled out beaches. So depending on what you're into you'll find something to do - decent house music clubs for slightly "older" people (Around 30), cheap-ass chav bars for if you enjoy Yates' in England (They're crap, but €10 gets you all you can drink pretty much, if that's your aim...).

Then on other parts of the island it's just like any other sun holiday, great beaches and views and no twats. Ibiza has a reputation for being as I first described, but there's plenty more to it.

Totally agree with JD, wouldn't like to go all inclusive.

It just sounds so chavvy, eating the same food as everyone else.

I think it depends what you count as a holiday? My idea of fun is to go somewhere completely fending for ourselves, going to the local supermarkets and getting their foods, bringing it back and cooking together whilst having a few drinks in the kitchen.

And if it f**ks up, you've got a story to tell and if it goes well then thats ace haha

When I go to The Caribbean in summer to the grand pallidium hotel which is 5 star all inclusive with 8 restaurants on location I will think back to the "all inclusive is chavvy" bearing in mind I went to this hotel 4 years ago and it is absolutely amazing.

Edited by Vivian-Trial
  • Like 1

Freestyle holidays are more fun though, all inclusive is a bit too much like being in a zoo for me.

Exactly that. Like those all you can eat Chinese restaurants with the dickhead children running around because it's only £4 for them or something

Totally agree with JD, wouldn't like to go all inclusive.

It just sounds so chavvy, eating the same food as everyone else.

That's something a hipster would say, right? I can handle eating the same dish as someone else. Are the meals included in the price crappy or something, or is there just no choice and everyone gets the same dish? That'd be a bit daft. I've visited quite a few hotels locally and always enjoyed the meals, can't say they were something to die for though. Oh and by the way here you go Dan. Alps are a great idea actually. I once considered doing a roadtrip into the Alps with my dad in his MG A, visit the best driving roads, mountain passes and just take in the beauty of the surroundings in an open car which is a massive joy to drive even slowly. Need to consider doing that finally, I have sooo much inertia when it comes to doing anything that requires planning...