Hope hub: 40T worth buying?

Martin Direske

12 minutes ago, niconj said:

It's probably not the Halo spokes* but once one spoke is broken, the ones next to it take a lot of stress as well and break easier.

True, but for any application other than a put around town bike I've found the halo steel PG spokes to be utter turd. For me, I spec double butted stainless on any bike that's going to see some hammer. Tarty spec Sapim and Vocal BMX DB stainless being my favourites.

I ordered a hope hub from my lbs right when the 40t came out... But it came as the old model.

strong as shit and hasn't been touched since I got it... Would like to try the new one but no reason to get it sadly. Sad to hear bearings blowing out on people...have a feeling I'll get one soon enough.

run a Chris king classic from 1998 still on my main bike. Hasn't given me a skip in 18 years, I did break the regular axle and free hub once in that time... But now with a heavy duty axle, thing is a beast.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2016 at 8:51 AM, AndyT said:

I ordered a hope hub from my lbs right when the 40t came out... But it came as the old model.

strong as shit and hasn't been touched since I got it... Would like to try the new one but no reason to get it sadly. Sad to hear bearings blowing out on people...have a feeling I'll get one soon enough.

run a Chris king classic from 1998 still on my main bike. Hasn't given me a skip in 18 years, I did break the regular axle and free hub once in that time... But now with a heavy duty axle, thing is a beast.

I wouldn't worry too much - it's just that the people who have problems shout the loudest.

My ProII bearings died after about 16 months when I was riding every day and being rough as shit.
Sure, they did die, but I think that's a pretty fair run for saying you can then just pop them out and put fresh ones in and it's as good as new again.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2016 at 11:15 PM, CC12345678910 said:

True, but for any application other than a put around town bike I've found the halo steel PG spokes to be utter turd. For me, I spec double butted stainless on any bike that's going to see some hammer. Tarty spec Sapim and Vocal BMX DB stainless being my favourites.

Agreed, Fair play I am a bigger buy but I haven't had spokes go like this before. My Sapim ones lasted ages and if I broke a spoke I would just swap and carry on. This set of Halo's just seem against me.  

Also agreed on Flipp's point about you're only going to hear from the negative issues as everyone else has just put a Hope on their bike and forgotten about it. It did just seem that myself, @Dman and a couple of others (I remember Carthy mentioned his bearing cracked on his first Evo model hubs) seemed to get some teething issues. I think its safe to say we didn't get put off by them though you can't beat Hopes service and warranty and when they get it right its right. 

• Like 1

My pro4 front hub is the bees knees on my street bike. Oh wait I also compete on the street bike??! Arcade fork and through axle is a dream, but wait doesn't that way a ton? Not good for competitions right? Who gives a f**k I still ride better than most pogo puffs with their carbon condom bikes.

my hope is on my "comp spec" gu, which sadly hasn't seen 10 minutes of riding since getting my hex..but it's got carbon trial tech bars!? I should've ridden the 19 pound bike for sure..better for comp.

I digress... Thinking about getting a monster cross/ touring bike and putting the fewer engagement hope on there, then getting a hope4 for my lightweight competition bike. f**k a freewheel, this isn't 2001. I like putting something on my bike and not touching it for years.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, niconj said:

Anyone knows the difference between the Pro 2 and the Pro 4 other than 80 vs. 88 engagement points?

Larger diameter spoke flanges that might be slightly wider spaced than the Pro 2. There might be some changes in the bearings too, but I'm not entirely sure.

25 minutes ago, onzatpro09 said:

Larger diameter spoke flanges that might be slightly wider spaced than the Pro 2. There might be some changes in the bearings too, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks. The question is whether 1st: 8 engagement points make a noticeable difference and 2nd whether the Pro 4 is as reliable as the Pro 2. I can imagine that less material is being used to create the 44T ratchet having the same diameter.

I don't think that the larger flange diameter makes a stronger wheel or at least the Pro2 has proven to be a very good base for a strong wheel build.

Edited by niconj

32 minutes ago, niconj said:

Thanks. The question is whether 1st: 8 engagement points make a noticeable difference and 2nd whether the Pro 4 is as reliable as the Pro 2. I can imagine that less material is being used to create the 44T ratchet having the same diameter.

I don't think that the larger flange diameter makes a stronger wheel or at least the Pro2 has proven to be a very good base for a strong wheel build.

I forgot to say that the size of the ratchet has increased too so that the teeth aren't any smaller.

I wouldn't say that the 8 engagements would make much difference because 80 is already tonnes, especially when you consider gear ratios. With my Inspired and Pro 2 it works out as about 100 engagements per crank revolution which is plenty already compared to the 110-ish you'd get from a Pro 4.

• 2 months later...

So I got the Hope Pro 4 Trials hub 8 weeks ago and have been riding a lot lately (in all kind of weather) and as I had to take of the rear wheel today, I checked the bearings and was kinda disappointed. They don't run smooth anymore. They feel like they've been ridden for years. This is a disappointment as I had the same issues with the older pro 2 model some years ago and thought the newer version had better bearings. :(

Pro4 same problems? I've got the 80 pro2 and had to get a bearing replaced as it went really rough and the wheel was hardly spinning and on installing the new one it was a lot better but not perfect like the bearing was before I installed it into the hub. Guessing some of the hubshells are faulty? 

Are both hubshell bearings rough or just one? 

2 hours ago, gage-mann said:

Are both hubshell bearings rough or just one? 

I don't know as I have spun the wheel in both hands and it just felt rough. It is still turning but far from smooth. I have some cheapo Fulcrum Racing 7CX wheels that are smoother after having ridden them for three winters in all kind of conditions. The entire wheelset cost me less than the Hope hub.