Single collar lock-on grips

Mark W

So then, I'm looking at trying to find a new pair of grips that - unlike my current grips - I don't have to f**k around buying from Japan. I found some grips today in a bike shop in town that feel OK, but they're only available as lock-ons, and they just have a single locking clamp. Has anyone used that type of lock-on for trials before? It seems like a bad idea, but the only experience I actually have of using lock-ons is a pair of Ruffian grips 10 years ago and I imagine things have moved on since then. If anyone's got any experiences (lock-on grip related...) they'd like to share that'd be ideal, thanks!

I've been using some single lock grips from LBS- and like you I was skeptical due to surviving crappy grips before. turns out they are great! I've worn the rubber off the very outside ends and otherwise still going strong. they are not super thin (almost ergo ish with a thicker middle) sorry I can't remember the brand name.

Used lock ons a few years ago and hated them. The metal rings used to cut the side of my palm and I couldn't get them tight enough so they kept slipping and the little bolt that's used to keep them right rounded off so easily with little pressure using a good set of park tool Allen keys

The only contact with single clamp lock ons I've had say that they are crap - Yeah they clamp, but only at one end while the rest flexes and twists giving you the most horrible throttle grip sensation, and turning them round so the clamp is at the bar end is rank as well, it doesn't solve the throttle grip and put the clamp or worse the bolt under your hand; so based on that I'd say two clamp versions (and only with stainless bolts) or don't bother.

Outside Idea - have you considered roadie bar tape? The gel stuff mind, not the basic stuff - never tried that but it didn't sound fun. So when I was 'I've never wanted a roadie before I got given one, so I know nowt' researching so I plumped for this Cineli stuff because all the reviews said it could be re stuck when I inevitably ballsed up wrapping it for the 1st time. I reckon one packet would do up to possibly 3 sets of normal grips and it's bloody comfy to boot. I'm considering it instead on my staple trialtech foamies next time round.

Yeah, that's sort of enough for me, haha. I'll give them a miss then!

Cult/Vans grips - waaaay too thick for my liking unfortunately! The grips I usually run are slightly thinner than the recessed bits inside the waffle sections to give you an idea :P

Roadie tape - briefly tried it, but again, not as thin and I'm not sure it'd be as durable compared to the grips I have been running.

Luke - I've run Conti Supersonic roadie tube as grip before. Pretty cost effective, but a little too thin even for my liking...

Thanks for all the feedback though everyone!

I think you won't find any lock on grips that suit you mark, I'm not as anal for super thin grips as you and I still find lock on a bit too fat and the thinnest ones are super harsh too (very little dampening) plus you'll wear through them in a few weeks.

I think you need a fresh set of push on grips and give your bars a good clean, they'll stick way better than your worn stretched ones. Get yourself a set of sensus, renthals or something

You'll hate road tape too, I tried it recently and it's comfy but a hassle and it's easily ripped, you can get it pretty thin but it was so soft I just pressed through it and I could feel the bars underneath, felt a bit gash (bit like those cheap Halfords foam grips)

I actually found a set that felt really thin today, but I knew I'd probably burn through them pretty fast. I guess the reason they had to be single collar was because of how thin they were though - I can't see how you'd get a traditional lock-on core in them. Think they were made by 'FWE' or something like that? Some Evans shit...

Trying to find some more grips similar to my current ones but it's being hassle. Sent some e-mails and shit so we'll see. Nowhere in Cardiff stocks any 'normal' grips which is f**king tedious! Might just have to mail order that shit, but I'd prefer to see what they were like first.

Did you ever try the harder compound Renthal grips? I've definitely used the soft/light greys, and I know you've used those weird kevlar ones, but did you try the medium/grey or hard/dark grey ones?

Mark, you checked out the RaceFace Half Nelsons?

http://www.raceface.com/components/grips/grips/half-nelson/

I too really prefer skinny grips and have been running mine for over a year.

They're designed to imitate a set of half-worn standard grips, so are already nice and thin. They are a single lockring type and haven't budged at all on my carbon bars.