Electricians advice?

JT!

I was woken this morning to what sounded like 50 buzzing cellphones going off. Power is out in a couple of rooms of the house.

Swap out dead fuse, turn the main back on to hear the same buzzing and the fuse blew within seconds.

Sounded like it was coming from the furnace so took a look and could smell a faint burning smell.

I do have a leak right about it, and we've had some serious rain the last couple of days. Even though I'm pretty sure I contained the leak as it's only coming down in one spot, I'm thinking some water must have gotten in there and f**ked something up majorly.

Is there any steps I can take at all to help myself out here or is it expensive electrician time?

Am I safe running the power for the rest of the house for now?

Yeah. The thing that's annoying me is I don't know 100% sure where the problem is. The furnace still has power to it with the fuse blown. I'm now doubting if it's the furnace at all, although it could be powered from two different sources with it being gas with an electric fan and a AC unit altogether.

But yeah I'm done messing with it. At least I know the fuses are doing their job.

So good news. The furnace lives. Any burnt smell must have been it's natural odor. I discovered this when, even with the fuse out, it turned on. I assumed it was on the same fuse as the rest of the bathroom. It seems that a mains socket is a little bit discolored and melted in the bathroom. I'm guessing a drop of water got into that and f**ked it up.

Is there any reason why I can't replace this myself?

Is there any reason why I can't replace this myself?

Swap the socket man, don't need to be paying for an electrician, other wise they wouldn't sell these things in your local hardware stores!

When you take the socket front away from the wall, just take a pic on your phone of the wiring arrangement, then put the cables into the same terminals on the new socket front. Can't go wrong.

Just make sure ALL power is off, don't just go trusting individual circuits. (Electricians are a funny breed, they only think of themselves!)

Chances are the cables will be brittle as f**k after all that time as well, so just be careful when removing/refitting them.

Best of luck mate, all the way from sunny Yorkshire! :)

Whoooosh. Or maybe just a bad joke. It's not unlikely.

Took me a few mins to get it too.

Swap the socket man, don't need to be paying for an electrician, other wise they wouldn't sell these things in your local hardware stores!

When you take the socket front away from the wall, just take a pic on your phone of the wiring arrangement, then put the cables into the same terminals on the new socket front. Can't go wrong.

Just make sure ALL power is off, don't just go trusting individual circuits. (Electricians are a funny breed, they only think of themselves!)

Chances are the cables will be brittle as f**k after all that time as well, so just be careful when removing/refitting them.

Thanks, sounds like a plan! If you don't hear back from me I died.

• Like 1

I'm glad you got it fixed but i just wanted to say that /\/\/\ is pretty bad advice.

Sockets are not all the same their terminals are in different positions so the photo idea is stupid. 

Switch all the power off? how do you know you've switched all the power off? Put whatever you want off but just prove its dead before you work on it. 

If the cores are brittle they should be replaced.

I'm glad you got it fixed but i just wanted to say that /\/\/\ is pretty bad advice.

Sockets are not all the same their terminals are in different positions so the photo idea is stupid. 

Switch all the power off? how do you know you've switched all the power off? Put whatever you want off but just prove its dead before you work on it. 

If the cores are brittle they should be replaced.

All sockets MAY be different, but live will be live, neutral will be neutral, and earth will be earth. Socket front will be labelled 'L', 'N' and 'Earth'.

The photo just ensures you know you've got the right cable in the right terminal!

Apologies for dishing out 'bad advice'. Glad you've got it sorted buddy

If the cables are water damaged, you should really cut them back so they are "clean" rather than the green gunk you get from copper cabling that's gotten wet.
You also need to make sure the screws in the terminals are TIGHT. The amount of call-outs we get to burnt out sockets where the customer has "had a go", and ended up with a burnt out socket because the cables were loose, causing a high resistance joint is ridiculous.

Other than that, it's fairly simple to do. I disagree about the point that because they are sold in a shop, anybody can do it. Shops sell 2 way switches, intermediate switches etc...but the amount of people that get in a muddle trying to save money is nuts.

Electrics are easy if you know what you're doing. If you don't, it can quite easily kill you.

Edited by george_seamons
  • Like 1