PSI question

trialsalot

From memory Ali is 40-45psi. 

Rim width will come into it a bit.  If you're running narrow Spanks (Subrosas) you'll need to run more, whereas if you've got wider ones (Spikes, Stiffees) you can get away with running less.  35psi seems to be a happy medium for me.  Gradually crept up from running 25-30psi like Dave - I hate the lack of pop feeling you get with hard tyres, but the extra tyre stability is useful for street and natural.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Not entirely relevant but coming from a mod trials background I've never run over 30 psi on my 24s (Fourplay, Skye, Arcade). I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like hard tyres!

I used to run softer tyres too. Can appreciate the faster rolling nature of hard tyres and would occasionally pump them up for park/dirt use, but I'd typically be in a similar ballpark. Extra squish and a bit of comfort ***!

Edit: As if "for the win" is still swear-filtered out :lol:

• Like 2

Pretty sure Ali C was in the 40-50 range and Danny Mac is in the 50-60 range. 

In the sick series video where Fabio wibmer takes his trials bike down a downhill track he comments on how him and elias  have their tyres at 3bar, which works put to around 45psi

Edited by Eddyboy123

I ride spank rims on all my 24s, but I run Holy Rollers instead of Contis. I go with James Barton's setup, 40 rear 35 front. The extra cush on the front is nicer on the arms. I run tubes also and I'll start to get pinch flats around 30 in the rear. I pretty much only ride urban terrain too.

just a bonus question from me... when jumping on a rail with the rear wheel i sometimes maybe 1 in 10 feels the rear rim hitting the rail, lightly...but on the front if fx. i go up and over something or endo off a edge, when i push off i feel the rim touching more often, is this how your setup feels ???  im 45psi front/rear tyre.

18 hours ago, dk2 said:

just a bonus question from me... when jumping on a rail with the rear wheel i sometimes maybe 1 in 10 feels the rear rim hitting the rail, lightly...but on the front if fx. i go up and over something or endo off a edge, when i push off i feel the rim touching more often, is this how your setup feels ???  im 45psi front/rear tyre.

There are a few more variables to that question. Rider weight, which tire and rider finesse. I'm 170lbs and only notice hitting the rim on drop gaps and kicking up to my max on a sharp ledge with 40psi rear. With 35psi in the front I notice more deflection when I push off, but not rimming out. You can see the finesse aspect in comp riders; for the same gap/drop some riders just seem to land softer than others.

True Swoofty, those factors come into play(not just tyre pressure(psi)), just wondering if your guys setup, feels sorta like mine..(touching the rim occasionally)...Guess its not to far off..

7 hours ago, Alex Dark said:

I don’t ride street trials , but use these tyres on echo sl rims.... 25psi rear 18ish front 

I remember monty bikes used to come with a card saying how much psi to use in dry and wet conditions, always under 20 in wet...

For urban I run 35-40.

wet natural 25? gotta have good tires.

ON DAH STREETZ I only roll 110 psi.