Prototype Tartybikes/onza Frame

AdamR28

Supposedly a lot of companies dont use a proper jig to make prototype frames, well, not a jig like they use on production frames.

A jig for production frames would be welded in to place more than likely. However, for a prototype frame they cut all the tubes at the correct angles (so they work out exactly what angle the downtube must be cut at to make the desired head angle when welded to the head tube) and rely on the tubes being pushed together in some way (damn hard) and tacked/welded.

Once the angled tubes are pushed together hard they create the angle/length needed. This is sufficient accuracy for a prototype and saves a lot of cash with not having to re-weld jigs for each different frame angle etc you want.

As for the head angle looking slack, I think its due to the rear wheel of the bike being lower than the front in the picture.

The 'cockpit' is of a normal size - we specified the size of the stem in order to do this.

I had a ride on it for quite a bit over the weekend i must say i would rather keep my t -rex. As i found it really hard to gap and other things like pedal hopping onto things. It was really good for taps but no better than my t - rex, the only thing i found it easier for was on backwheel.

chris

Vinco "cough copy cough!

Great input there, can really see that helping the development of this frame. Might even be best help this thread has seen...

(Y)

You bringing this to the bikeshow by the way? If so, are speshal people allowed a go? (Y)

Also, any chance of a flat picture? As in, not one on rocks where you can't see the proper dimensions. I know you listed them, but just want to see how how/long it actually looks :o

Yeah, crack.

*boom boom*

It's hardly a copy of anything, really? If you're saying it is based on one measurement, then surely it could also be a 9" travel DH bike copy? 'cos it's got 26" wheels?

No, no, no.

Is this a Mk.1 proto version, or is this a bit further down the line?

Mk1. So things have started with promising results, but there will definitely be at least a Mk2. Dont want to rush in to things, after all, if we were out to copy an existing frame, we'd have gone for a slightly longer wheelbase and a slightly lower bb height, not tested it and just released it instantly! (Y)

Or......gone to the same manufacturer and asked for 50 with a different name laser etched on the tubing (Y).

Its got the same tubing though. can't be that difficult to ask a frame manufacturer to make it out of that instead of normal tubes. Anyways how did this turn into a vinco/ onza bashing thread? That bike is nothing like a vinco, geo is different, looks different and even the colours different!!! and in my opinin it rides waaay nicer

Pete

Looking good People!

Would there be any point in making a 'compromise' frame? I.e one that has a BB rise somewhere in between the Prototype and the T-rex? To give the best of both worlds...

How much does the Prototype weigh?

As Simon said, bringing it to the Bikeshow would give us lot a chance to see it in the flesh, and maybe even give it a quick ride...

Good to see someone taking initiative and trying out ideas (Y)

Woody

Would there be any point in making a 'compromise' frame? I.e one that has a BB rise somewhere in between the Prototype and the T-rex? To give the best of both worlds...

We originally ordered a slightly toned down version to directly compare the two frames, but unfortunately the toned down one never materialised.

But dont worry, one is on the way! (Y)

We originally ordered a slightly toned down version to directly compare the two frames, but unfortunately the toned down one never materialised.

But dont worry, one is on the way! (Y)

Would the toned down version use a stock or mod stem? I wondor what the highest bb rise that can be got with a normal stock stem?

Anyhow the bike looks sweet, wish I nabbed a go on it (or the vinco) to see how these high bb rise bikes ride!

mike