The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Defiantly agree with diet, eat as much fat as possible too! Fat helps increase hormone levels such as testosterone! Eating high fat foods will NOT make you fat, its sugar and too many carbs that do that!

Also sleep is so important if we are talking about 80% diet and 20% lift if you cannot sleep no diet or workout routine will work unless you are using some form of steroid and/or peptide to artificially increase what your body cannot produce. Sleep is when the body and mind both repair and most importantly produce growth hormone, the more sleep the more growth hormone produced, if i am correct alot of IGF-1 is produced in sleep but may be wrong on that :)

Risky advice that... Eat as much fat as possible? You serious? May help put a bit of muscle on but it's not going to do your health any good.

I always found that just eating a healthy diet with some extra protein worked best. All the high this low that shit just hindered my progress or made me gain shit loads of flab.

Sort out sleep, training and eating healthily first. Most important aspect for me was keeping everything mad simple and changing things gradually.

• Like 1

Risky advice that... Eat as much fat as possible? You serious? May help put a bit of muscle on but it's not going to do your health any good.

I always found that just eating a healthy diet with some extra protein worked best. All the high this low that shit just hindered my progress or made me gain shit loads of flab.

Sort out sleep, training and eating healthily first. Most important aspect for me was keeping everything mad simple and changing things gradually.

I wouldn't say it was risky advice and yes very serious :P May help put on a bit of muscle, but is that not what Dan is trying to do though? Obviously I'm not saying eat tubs of lard, but i am saying don't be afraid of fat eat as many foods as you can such as avacados, red meats, dairy, nuts, seeds etc all packed full of fat. It is one of the biggest myths out there that fat makes you fat, fat does not make you fat!

In my opinion 'Healthy Diets' are good for the the normal person or other disciplines where the diet is not so important but bodybuilding (or any other form of weight lifting) is very much an extreme sport that requires the extreme diet. This would be the Cut and Bulk phases. You need to put on fat to build muscle it is impossible not to due the surplus of calories needed unless using artificial anabolics such as AAS, PH etc (they totally change the type of stimulation and recovery process) that's why you then cut to remove this fat and start over re-gaining any muscle you lost with muscle memory and then fresh gains after. Body builders need such an extreme diet because you are pushing your body beyond what is considered natural, we are demanding that extra growth on top of any natural maintenance meaning that any hormones and substances that your body produces are now being stretched even further hence we eat in a surplus to try and accommodate. I'm not saying you have to get huge on the bulk you can stay relative lean but it all works the same principles. All this sort of subject is what has sparked the whole debate over is steroid training 'better' for you than natural training due the extreme nature of the sport and stresses on the body.

I'm also not saying your wrong, I'm simply saying what i have learnt through my personal training, what i have been told and extensive research. I am more than open for you to tell me its a loada crap but tell me why it is, actually I'd quite like to know, knowledge is power :P

Lift more. Gain more. Done.

Very far from it, bad advice.

Edited by bike_dummie

I wouldn't say it was risky advice and yes very serious :P May help put on a bit of muscle, but is that not what Dan is trying to do though? Obviously I'm not saying eat tubs of lard, but i am saying don't be afraid of fat eat as many foods as you can such as avacados, red meats, dairy, nuts, seeds etc all packed full of fat. It is one of the biggest myths out there that fat makes you fat, fat does not make you fat!

In my opinion 'Healthy Diets' are good for the the normal person or other disciplines where the diet is not so important but bodybuilding (or any other form of weight lifting) is very much an extreme sport that requires the extreme diet. This would be the Cut and Bulk phases. You need to put on fat to build muscle it is impossible not to due the surplus of calories needed unless using artificial anabolics such as AAS, PH etc (they totally change the type of stimulation and recovery process) that's why you then cut to remove this fat and start over re-gaining any muscle you lost with muscle memory and then fresh gains after. Body builders need such an extreme diet because you are pushing your body beyond what is considered natural, we are demanding that extra growth on top of any natural maintenance meaning that any hormones and substances that your body produces are now being stretched even further hence we eat in a surplus to try and accommodate. I'm not saying you have to get huge on the bulk you can stay relative lean but it all works the same principles. All this sort of subject is what has sparked the whole debate over is steroid training 'better' for you than natural training due the extreme nature of the sport and stresses on the body.

I'm also not saying your wrong, I'm simply saying what i have learnt through my personal training, what i have been told and extensive research. I am more than open for you to tell me its a loada crap but tell me why it is, actually I'd quite like to know, knowledge is power :P

I think this is a difference of interpretation as much as anything else. You don't mean "eat as much fat as you can" by the sounds of it, you mean "eat a reasonable about of good quality fat from good sources" which I would totally agree with.

Labels are dangerous though. Dan is not a bodybuilder, he's a young lad who's been lifting for a few months and wants to make some gains and is doing. He doesn't need a super clever diet, he just needs to lift, rest and eat OK and he'll se results. All the extreme diet and shit can come if he decides he wants to be massive.

If weight training is your life then go ahead and get all technical, but for everyone with other stuff going on it really is as simple as lift more eat more gain more. :lol: (Especially if you're an endomorph).

Works for me. I tried conventional training and found progress to be slow and unrewarding. Swapped to a less conventional more = more approach and the gains are good.

How do you mean I don't think I follow, what is unconventional about your training? I was referring to the statement lift more, gain more that you can not advise that if you don't know how he is already training he may already be over training or may be just right etc.. By saying lift more will make his situation worse if he was struggling.

Edited by bike_dummie

I think this is a difference of interpretation as much as anything else. You don't mean "eat as much fat as you can" by the sounds of it, you mean "eat a reasonable about of good quality fat from good sources" which I would totally agree with.

Labels are dangerous though. Dan is not a bodybuilder, he's a young lad who's been lifting for a few months and wants to make some gains and is doing. He doesn't need a super clever diet, he just needs to lift, rest and eat OK and he'll se results. All the extreme diet and shit can come if he decides he wants to be massive.

If weight training is your life then go ahead and get all technical, but for everyone with other stuff going on it really is as simple as lift more eat more gain more. :lol: (Especially if you're an endomorph).

Haha yes sorry I'm not too good at explaining what I mean in text.

I agree with what you are saying, I have even said what he is doing is good when he posted his chest workout. Simplicity is king as long as it ticks all the boxes.

But is he not a bodybuilder then? At the end of the day he is building a better body, right? ;)

Oh yeah haha for the normal lifter that is probably too much info but I feel if you are going to say something you should always be able to explain why you say it that's all that bit was.

I am also not very old either at 18 so I'm not a middle aged man obsessed with weight lifting even though it may seem like it :D but I am very passionate about it and owe a lot to lifting getting the be back on the right track in life :)

Edited by bike_dummie

Although not directly weight related, does anyone on here use rowing machines?

Just curious to see 2k times. Here's a challenge for you all:

Level 8, how quickly can you do 2k?

First time for me was 9:33, second time was 8:59. I'm hoping I can keep knocking time off that, but I'm new to rowing and I have measly arms.

Rowing should be a punishment for bad people, I've only ever been on a rowing machine once (about 3-4 years ago) and I'm never going near one again!

They used to have a rowing challenge at our gym, I'm not sure what level it had to be set at but I think you had to do 1500m. Obviously with me being a newb I said I'd give it a go and pretty much rowed like a twat flat out the whole distance. On the plus side I got the 3rd fastest time which surprised a lot of people but it absolutely wiped me out and I couldn't stand up let alone walk for about 20 mins and ended up going straight home when that was gonna be my warmup!

They do it at my old mans boxing gym as a warm-up to training for the last round of a bout. Brutal. 2k rowing on it's own is hard enough, without getting off and getting punched in the face repeatedly.

• Like 1

Dan is not a bodybuilder, he's a young lad who's been lifting for a few months and wants to make some gains and is doing. He doesn't need a super clever diet, he just needs to lift, rest and eat OK and he'll se results.

Exactly. N00b gains are real, just by lifting and eating a caloric balance (in mainly whole foods) its possible to cut fat and build muscle. After heavy compound lifting for a year or so and reaching a plateau you should be looking more closely into your macros.

Tried a deadlift pr last week, got 210 and missed 215 3 times.

Monday: warm up deadlifts feel like crap, work up to 200 and it feels light, 212 goes up easy, 215 wasnt a problem, 220 felt good and 225 went up no problem!

Amazing what asking your friend to record you lifting can do...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Think of all the muscle groups... Must go through a back, shoulder, biceps, triceps and finally a bit of chest through the whole movement, assuming it's done in control rather than purely plyometrically?

Think of all the muscle groups... Must go through a back, shoulder, biceps, triceps and finally a bit of chest through the whole movement, assuming it's done in control rather than purely plyometrically?

A slow muscle up, yes.

But a lot of the ones I see people doing are predominantly down to a technique which conserves momentum thus no better for you than doing some monkey bars!

Totally agree. I can 'do' a few, but they're all reliant on that first pull from the lats, and I don't think that really counts. I can't do them as I want to, which is fairly slowly.

You could have the same conversation about any other compound exercise, deadlifts being a fairly obvious one.