The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

I am. But pump is blood being trapped in your muscles rather than an 'increase of blood flow' so I don't see how it would increase hypertrophy. I'm not trying to argue, just literally trying to understand the reasoning behind it! 

I know you're not arguing, it's debate and disagreement is the nature of this sport being everyone's body is different. Hypertrophy is not a so black and white subject. There are two main types of hypertrophy to start with hence all the conflicting rep ranges such as 3-5, 8-12, 10-15 and so on...  

I dont have the knowledge to sum up the reasoning in my own words, not so much knowledge of bodybuilding but my ability not to waffle or wander of subject :P but iIll try my bbest to explain at least from what I believe. 

PUMP- Achieving peak vasodilation supports new muscular development

The release of nitric oxide facilitates the relaxation of the endothelial cells — smooth muscles that line the blood vessels — thereby expanding the lumen of the blood vessel (the middle space of a blood vessel where blood flows through).

As the lumen expands, blood flow is enhanced, resulting in peak vasodilation. Blood plasma is the primary channel through which nutrients,amino acids, testosterone ,growth hormone  (GH) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) are delivered to your starving muscles. Therefore, by feeding your system more blood, you transport elevated amounts of the various musclebuilding catalysts directly to your hard-working muscle cells.

Increasing the delivery of oxygen-rich red blood cells to your starving muscles accelerates the speed at which your system is able to cleanse itself of muscle toxins such as ammonia.

The removal of ammonia and other metabolites allows bodybuilders to recover more quickly between sets and perform more repetitions, which could result in better growth stimulus and adaptive growth in response to micro-tears at the muscle fiber  level.

Achieving maximum vasodilation also allows your body to quickly deliver metabolized amino acids and nutrients that are derived from your pre-post workout nutrition , and shuttle them directly to your hypertrophying muscles — allowing for enhanced muscle recovery and growth.

@bike_dummie I have been really busy with uni so didn't get a chance to read your reply. Thanks for the detailed explanation, it does actually make a lot of sense and I hadn't thought of it in such detail. I really like the idea of post-pre workout nutrition :P 

Peanut butter is unavailable now, but is showing £4.99 for 1kg which still seems like a good deal.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like if you buy whole almonds they usually have the skin on but when you see blanched/flaked/ground almonds they're quite pale (spelling?). Makes quite a bit of difference to taste! 

I only use it in protein shakes or baking as nuts make me wretch uncontrollably but the wife will have it on toast/crackers or just a dollop in a bowl with some sliced fruit to scoop it up with. 

Think I may need to go to the doctors. I've noticed before a lump on both my shoulders (can just see in the pic) mainly when I've done back squats and put it down to just inflammation from the bar resting there but after having a read this morning it looks like it could be an injury I picked up without realising on my AC joints. 

I don't get any shoulder pain (did do years ago) and after reading about it I can't weigh up whether or not there's anything that can be done about it. Either way I'm best getting it looked at! IMG_20160104_220835.thumb.jpg.8c1ad96fc0

Is the lump not always there, even acutely? I would go and get that checked out regardless but it seems strange that it hasn't equated to a loss in range of motion in your shoulder, which means it could be just due to the bar. 

In PB2 related news, it's amazing! I had 12g of it in my oats this morning, which equated to around one very large tablespoon worth of real peanut butter. Within that were 45 calories, and 1.5g of fat. When compared to real peanut butter which would be ~190 calories and 14g of fat this is a no brainer for anyone that loves peanut butter but doesn't want the calories from it. Totally recommend.

4 hours ago, isitafox said:

Think I may need to go to the doctors. I've noticed before a lump on both my shoulders (can just see in the pic) mainly when I've done back squats and put it down to just inflammation from the bar resting there but after having a read this morning it looks like it could be an injury I picked up without realising on my AC joints. 

I don't get any shoulder pain (did do years ago) and after reading about it I can't weigh up whether or not there's anything that can be done about it. Either way I'm best getting it looked at! 

Ever broken your collar bone?