The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Totally agree. I can 'do' a few, but they're all reliant on that first pull from the lats, and I don't think that really counts. I can't do them as I want to, which is fairly slowly.

You could have the same conversation about any other compound exercise, deadlifts being a fairly obvious one.

depends what you're after really

slow muscle will obviously make you super strong and efficient a these type of slow mouvement

it will also probably makes your muscle bigger

but if you do muscle up fast with help of legs/hips/lats momentum, then you ll work more on your speed/explosivity/mobility

slow muscle looks suuuper hard

but IMO they also look kind of stupid in comparasion of an awesome gymnastic kip(in terms of pure efficienty)

I know the goal is not the same though :)

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any runners on here? Basically Ive set myself a target to run a route about 13 miles (bristol to bath railway path). I'm currently pretty comfortable running my usual 5k route in 22ish minutes but have never run any further than that..what's the best way to add to this, is it simply a case of adding a kilometre on each time? 

Not really set myself any time constraints but I'm finishing uni here in May, so ideally before that..

Cheers

The best thing to do at that sort of level is actually swap it out the other way. Go with time targets instead for a while - run 10 minutes away from your start and then turn around and come back. Next time go 15, and so on. You could even do that on the route that you're planning to run. 

Once you've got up to the point that you're running an hour in total, then you can look at your distances and start focussing on getting to the 13 mile mark.

Intersperse all that with some speed work though. The effect of some sprinting on your long distance pace will be surprising. I like to find a track and do intervals - something like 400m quick followed by 200m jog 8 times. 

I can't run at all at the moment due to injury but that sort of loose programme at the start is what got me to a baseline level to go on to do some marathons. 

Edited by JD™

cool thanks mate ill give that a try, go up in those 5 minute intervals or just what feels ok? 

And what would you say about how often to train? I was planning on carrying on at the gym 3 times a week (no cardio) and running outdoors twice, with an HIIT skipping session one morning aswell. Timewise i could fit all that in plus a sprint session but do you think that would be taking on too much? could swap the skip for sprints.

I'd probably swap the skipping session out for the sprint session rather than add it in. Ultimately the sort of track session I mentioned falls in the HIIT bracket and will be more beneficial for your running than skipping will. That said, I'm a huge fan of skipping for cardio work so it wouldn't be the end of the world to swap and change them as and when you want. 

Potentially have a look into the FIRST marathon training schedule. I know you're not going for a marathon, but the general structure of it will give you an idea of a great way to train.

• 2 weeks later...

Protein discount card, if you don't already use it then you should!

What is this all about? You buy a yearly membership and they send you vouchers? I've got to buy some bits within the next few weeks so should probably consider this. 

190KG Dead @ 86kg

That's seriously impressive, no grip straps! You must have a deadly handshake.. 

Finally hit the gym again after a month off; got fed up of being there 6 days a week for 10 months so decided I should give it a break.. Now starting again on a 3 day full body workout. First session went well, I started on my normal weights/sets that I left on. Nice to see i havent lost any strength over the month/since turing veggie. Pumped lift now :D

Edited by iChimpp

What is this all about? You buy a yearly membership and they send you vouchers? I've got to buy some bits within the next few weeks so should probably consider this. 

That's seriously impressive, no grip straps! You must have a deadly handshake.. 

They give you discount codes for loads of supplement websites or you can pay £30 a year to get bigger discounts. Some seriously good deals to be had, I made my £30 back within the first 2 orders I made and it introduced me to go nutrition who do the finest triple chocolate protein ever. Their bundles are well worth trying! 

Anyone used any of the pre-workouts on MyProtein? They've got a 3for2 on and I needed protein and creatine anyway, so thought I'd get a pre that isn't coffee for once. Any recommendations welcome.

In other news, I had a big win last week. I haven't been able to get my weight over 67kg for about 10 years, running just kept me somewhere around there and when I wasn't running I wasn't eating enough to make DEM GAINZ. Weighed myself last week for the first time in yonks and I'm at 72kg, which is quite a nice percentage increase for my weedy self. Happy with that.

Anyone used any of the pre-workouts on MyProtein? They've got a 3for2 on and I needed protein and creatine anyway, so thought I'd get a pre that isn't coffee for once. Any recommendations welcome.

In other news, I had a big win last week. I haven't been able to get my weight over 67kg for about 10 years, running just kept me somewhere around there and when I wasn't running I wasn't eating enough to make DEM GAINZ. Weighed myself last week for the first time in yonks and I'm at 72kg, which is quite a nice percentage increase for my weedy self. Happy with that.

MyProtien pre is useless. Stick to the coffee or buy a stack of preworkout support and make your own.

It's as cliché as "I don't need alcohol to have fun!" but I just have a pretty aggressive playlist of songs I only ever really listen to in the gym, so I get pretty pumped en route or during warm up. For the most part though, pre-workout is there to instigate/replace psychological effects, so assuming you haven't already tried, have you tried a routine to get you mentally zoned when you go to the gym, to replace pre workout?

The problem at the moment is that I get to the gym whenever I catch the time. I make sure I've always got kit in the office, and if it looks like I've got an hour or so I'll get there – that means that most of the time I'm definitely not "in the mood" so a little kick with pre should help. 

To a certain extent I grew up in my old mans boxing gyms so I have always struggled with motivation in 'normal' gyms where I can't do a bit of a bag circuit as a warm up. I'll give this pre stuff a go when it turns up and if that doesn't work I'll just carry on as I have been – it's not like it's been awful :)

I mainly use it when I'm going to the gym at 6:30am straight off a nightshift or cycling to work at 5am and need something to keep me going. 

I used to use the myprotein one but now I find it way too sweet so even one scoop just makes me feel sick! 

I don't use pre workout, but when I gym first thing on a Sunday morning, I have a big coffee before hand.

Also, I hit 150kg squat last night, which is a PB by 15kg. I was amped.

Goal tomorrow is 105kg bench, which would put me on 445kg total, so only 19lbs off the 1000lbs total!

The problem at the moment is that I get to the gym whenever I catch the time. I make sure I've always got kit in the office, and if it looks like I've got an hour or so I'll get there – that means that most of the time I'm definitely not "in the mood" so a little kick with pre should help. 

To a certain extent I grew up in my old mans boxing gyms so I have always struggled with motivation in 'normal' gyms where I can't do a bit of a bag circuit as a warm up. I'll give this pre stuff a go when it turns up and if that doesn't work I'll just carry on as I have been – it's not like it's been awful :)

Odd question do you smoke? 

I currently use Noxygen, not stimulating but it gives a mega pump! Even better than hemavol. 

It's as cliché as "I don't need alcohol to have fun!" but I just have a pretty aggressive playlist of songs I only ever really listen to in the gym, so I get pretty pumped en route or during warm up. For the most part though, pre-workout is there to instigate/replace psychological effects, so assuming you haven't already tried, have you tried a routine to get you mentally zoned when you go to the gym, to replace pre workout?

Not true about the pre-workout. They are much more than that. 

Odd question do you smoke? 

I currently use Noxygen, not stimulating but it gives a mega pump! Even better than hemavol. 

Haven't done for about three or four months or so now. I have no idea what either of those things are!