The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

What kind of levels are people hitting on bent rows? I just tried a new pre workout today and smashed my usual standard supersetting with incline bench. Usually do 5x10 at 75kg going up to 80 but today easily went up to 90kg.

Was doing some squats this morning and went to start the 3rd set, I placed the bar on ready to go and felt a sharp pain suddenly, went pretty quick and thought nothing of it.

Got back home and had a shower only to realise it was a spot being popped by the bar lol. Luckily my T shirt soaked it up but I'll never look at the squat rack in the same way..

After having my weight stick at 89-90kg for the last couple of months I decided to pick up some BCAA's again a few weeks back. My diet hasn't changed at all and I've been doing a spinning class on a Wednesday morning pretty much every week instead of weights and in the last 3 weeks or so I've stuck 2½kg on which I can only put down to the BCAA's assisting my recovery, well happy with that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New PB of 150 + bar for dead-lifts tonight. These are quite a new move to me, I was overly cautious in the beginning. Also 119kg seated row (machine not cables). Reasonably pleased.

As for the bent rows discussion further up, I tend to do start at 50kg and max effort reps/sets until I can only manage 1 rep, last time was around 80. Then jump onto t-bar rows and do the same thing and end up around 115.

Edited by Boumsong

I met yoda at the gym today!

He was there one day last week too, but he only gave me pointers on my deads (ended up spending 5 hours at the gym that day...)

Today he helped me with the front squats and I managed to get 2 new pr's, then we moved on to dips where he told me to try some weighted, which I had never done, and it turned out to be pretty easy! And it was great for my poor old spine!

Cant wait for the next time I get to work with him!

Was going to try a new pr in the front squat today, but blacked out for a sec at the bottom with only 135, which got me pretty depressed.

Then went on to try to bench for the first time in 4 years, managed to do a double with 80 and a single with 90 which I was quite amazed by!

So all in all a pretty succesfull day!

Haven't done bench for about 5 years. Back then my personal best was 125kg. I don't think I can manage 80kg once now. :( Just haven't got the time to properly train. It's either weight training or trials riding and I choose the latter. Once you are married with children things aren't really the same....

Just joined a gym again to supplement this whole running lark. I always forget just how much I hate 'normal' gyms because I've grown up being able to walk around the ones my Dad has and know everyone. Still, good session. Gotta get round this hatred thing though, because it causes me to quit every time.

Yeah I prefer going alone, you can just crack on and get done, don't have to wait around for someone and you don't get sidetracked talking. Can be a pain if you need a spotter but there's always someone knocking about to ask!

Usual Wednesday morning spin class today so thought I'd stick some deadlifts in beforehand, started with 3 sets of 5 at 145kg, 165kg and 185kg then went to try and beat my pb with 2 at 195kg with good form. Well happy but after a really hard spinning session I'm now absolutely bollocksed. Gonna sleep tonight!

I started the gym in January and thought i'd take pics of the day I started (love my before and after pics). Thought i'd have a look tonight and take some of me now and I can definitely see progress!! Such a good feeling.
No where near where I want to be and my chest is taking ages to develop, is this normal?

I started the gym in January and thought i'd take pics of the day I started (love my before and after pics). Thought i'd have a look tonight and take some of me now and I can definitely see progress!! Such a good feeling.

No where near where I want to be and my chest is taking ages to develop, is this normal?

Glad to hear you are progressing!

Yes that is normal growing muscles is a slow progress Edited by bike_dummie

I had to google what lats were :( hahaha

I'll post the before and after and let you decide although I happen to be covering up my f**king chest in the pic hahaha

I look so miserable in the before pic I apologise tf

2015-01-18%2020.40.11_zpsrk9jp716.jpg

IMAG0500_zps4wdqndlx.jpg

My chest routine is

Bench press 5 x 8

Incline bench press 5 x 8

Flies 5 x 8

Incline flies 5 x 8

That's it!

Can't really see in those pictures the comparison of chest to lats but for the size which you are your chest doesn't look particularly small from the little I can see, I'd say your doing fine Edited by bike_dummie

Make sure you're getting enough food in, putting on muscle is 80% what you eat and 20% what you do in the gym. Also watch out when training your chest, one rule I was taught a long time ago is you should always be able to pull more than you push (ie. delt rows and pull downs should be heavier than what you're benching).

Defiantly agree with diet, eat as much fat as possible too! Fat helps increase hormone levels such as testosterone! Eating high fat foods will NOT make you fat, its sugar and too many carbs that do that!

Also sleep is so important if we are talking about 80% diet and 20% lift if you cannot sleep no diet or workout routine will work unless you are using some form of steroid and/or peptide to artificially increase what your body cannot produce. Sleep is when the body and mind both repair and most importantly produce growth hormone, the more sleep the more growth hormone produced, if i am correct alot of IGF-1 is produced in sleep but may be wrong on that :)

Edited by bike_dummie