What Do You Ride For!

SteveS

After a chat with my mate/trials rider i was wandering what your guys view on riding is!

Basically i was told i take my riding far to seriously for these following reasons;

1. Because i want to eat healthy!

2. Because i want to keep fit!

3. Because i care about how my bike rides, i.e weight, strength, etc!

4. Because i want to be good!

My first question is, do any of u guys/girls do anything like the above?

Also am i silly to think that because there are so many amazing riders out there that i can one day not be up there with them(don't get me wrong i'm not being bigheaded, but i do believe that if u want somthing bad enough and put your mind to it, you can get there eventually).

Well I have aims and goals some bigger than others and some i may never reach, but so i'm told i'm taking my riding far to seriously and i should enjoy it and those goals wont happen Because there are so many better people out there!

That sounds like the talk of a Defeatist and a person with no ambitions!

Second question, do you have goals and aims?

Lastly, i was also told that eating healthily and keeping fit isn't going to make much difference at all! I find this hilarious, as i no allot of u will disagree with the above sentence, for obvious reasons!

Some of u may think my post is to get back at some one, well its not its not at all! its souly to get your views and thoughts?

I may have gone on in places, but its only because this topic mean something to me!

Cheers for reading and replys! (Y)

Steve

out of the 4 avbove i agrede to all part from one...and thats eatin healthy, would love to do that but just doesnt taste nice :) dont get me rong i dont go eatin like a block of alrd a day but i would choose a nice bacon sarny over a peice of organic letuce any day (Y)

as for goals i have many. one i achived last night. just feels dso good looking at something thinking i couldnt do this last year then pulling it off. even if it takes you a 100 go's. theres just such a buzz. hopefully theres guna be lots of buzzin in plymouth this sunday/..and thats not due to people taken drugs.

cheersa

After a chat with my mate/trials rider i was wandering what your guys view on riding is!

Basically i was told i take my riding far to seriously for these following reasons;

1. Because i want to eat healthy!

2. Because i want to keep fit!

3. Because i care about how my bike rides, i.e weight, strength, etc!

4. Because i want to be good!

My first question is, do any of u guys/girls do anything like the above?

Also am i silly to think that because there are so many amazing riders out there that i can one day not be up there with them(don't get me wrong i'm not being bigheaded, but i do believe that if u want somthing bad enough and put your mind to it, you can get there eventually).

Well I have aims and goals some bigger than others and some i may never reach, but so i'm told i'm taking my riding far to seriously and i should enjoy it and those goals wont happen Because there are so many better people out there!

That sounds like the talk of a Defeatist and a person with no ambitions!

Second question, do you have goals and aims?

Lastly, i was also told that eating healthily and keeping fit isn't going to make much difference at all! I find this hilarious, as i no allot of u will disagree with the above sentence, for obvious reasons!

Some of u may think my post is to get back at some one, well its not its not at all! its souly to get your views and thoughts?

I may have gone on in places, but its only because this topic mean something to me!

Cheers for reading and replys! (Y)

Steve

I just ride for fun (inc messing about with mates too) and progression - riding does keep me relatively fit and heathly, especially compared to my non riding mates :) but to me thats a bonus!

I do care about how my bike rides too - because you set it up 'how it is good for you and your style' but that ain't the reason why i ride.

I think everyone wants to be good anyway and everyone wants to get better, thats obivious, but some people are more fussed about being the best than others, but thats how world champions are made!

Yeah I have riding goals and aims, some are just I wanna be able hook, do that gap, etc by next summer or whenever and some i just think 'wouldn't be cool if i could do that' (these are normally just random tricks though...hahaha

I do think sometimes trials riders are too harsh and get too stressed, because one night they can't do a gap or can tap49" instead of 51" or whatever. take a step back and do a different line, move, techniques and come back and try it a different day.

mike

i ride because one day i would love for riders to see me as, as much of a influence as i see CLS tunni etc and think that highly of me :) theres no way its ever going to happen but aiming for that is what kees my riding the way i see it the better you are the more fun you have

I just ride for fun (inc messing about with mates too) and progression - riding does keep me relatively fit and heathly, especially compared to my non riding mates :) but to me thats a bonus!

I do care about how my bike rides too - because you set it up 'how it is good for you and your style' but that ain't the reason why i ride.

I think everyone wants to be good anyway and everyone wants to get better, thats obivious, but some people are more fussed about being the best than others, but thats how world champions are made!

Yeah I have riding goals and aims, some are just I wanna be able hook, do that gap, etc by next summer or whenever and some i just think 'wouldn't be cool if i could do that' (these are normally just random tricks though...hahaha

I do think sometimes trials riders are too harsh and get too stressed, because one night they can't do a gap or can tap49" instead of 51" or whatever. take a step back and do a different line, move, techniques and come back and try it a different day.

mike

Totally agree with Mike

Really riding for fun, I think it takes a lot of commitment to become a world champion, and I missed that train, but I guess if that is what you want, then it's normal you take it seriously. Yeah, fitness is a bonus, else, I just can't think of any other sports that I would enjoy as much and that is so simple to practise anywhere and on any day. Same, want to learn new techniques and come back to old zones, look back, and think... Woaahh.. now it's all too easy... :turned:

Just came back from 45mn of casual training nearby my place... completely chilled out for the rest of the day. :sleeping:

I prepare most of what I eat... and seriously, if you want to make a difference, food a key factor. You don't need to go organic to eat well, but have some balanced meals, do the odd bit of cooking eat pasta and eggs if you train a lot, and plenty of water.

Junk food is actually anything but nutritious. Its' propaganda of the taste. :S

Edited by TrashZen

i just ride for a good bit of fun and its gives me something to spend time doing rather than spending money on useless things. i basicly eat whatever i feel the need to eat at the time, not too fussed on how heavy my bike is realy just it is rather light without meaning it to be :-

if i was alot better than i am i would be doing it to make my name big in the sport, but quiet honestly thats not going to happen :P

Because its the only thing in my life.

Everyone in audience goes awwwwwww.

Tragic, i know.

Anywho, i ride for fun, and to meet new people. I have met the best people on the planet through trials, and made some good friends. It even got me the first girl to ever willingly give me her number, without me asking for it. What more can i say. :P

I forgot to add: on the healthy eatin matter, i think tis good to eat a comparamise of both healthy and junk! No ones perfect after all!

Steve

I do that, lots of fruit and veg mixed with lots of crisps, fry-ups, burgers and such like. If you just eat salad and such like how are you going to stay strong (no protein etc)?

I ride for fun and progression mainly. I love to see myself improve and pull of lines I never thought possible for me. I look back to when I started and I can remember looking at this bar height wall that I only dreamed of backwheeling, then one good day I did it! Now I look at it and think "thats tiny!". Trials has also kept me fit, strong and has meant that I have travlled to places and done things I wouldnt normally have done if I didnt ride. Ill admit that Im addicted to the sport!

i dont have aims ill think if i get up that wall e.t.c. but because i never plan to ride at a level or at comp im not too bothered to be honest. i love the people i ride with we look out for each other and have a laff, (before we all broke apart)

But for the attention to your bike, the tuning the pure joy of the elegancy of your smooth running bike under you

I ride because it makes my bum look nice and that means I get extra hugs from the missus.

Its also a really good way to get rid of the aggression I build up sitting in front of a PC all day - I was an angry young man till I got back on a bike again.( now I'm just mean to my coworkers and everybody else loves me ^_^ )

1: For Fun and the rush you get from a huge move is way better than any drug can give (no i dont do drugs ^_^ )

2: To be able to show off to my non riding mates and on lookers, in York there are very few riders nevermind talented ones and in my case ALOT of people will say oh yea i know that guy ive seen him in town hes CRAZY lol and i just think its cool when people say Wow do you do that?" and i just say "well put your mind to it, practice and dont get scared."

3: Deffinately keeps me fit n healthy with me being a lazy student and a driver lol.......

4: I really want to progress and some days if i set out to do something i try really hard to make my goal so somedays yea i take my riding really seriously and other days like in summer when theres big rides i like to chill out, have a laugh with everyone and just ride for pure enjoyment.

5: Usually after someone/something gets me down, pisses me off like the GF, parents, work, uni wteva i ride my bike to let out all my aggression usually whilst listenin to music and i find it calms me down and i actually usually nail much bigger things as i take a no fear approach to everything lol.......

6: Want to be able to one day be an inspiration to others be able to go on huge rides and for everyone there to know who i am.... I guess i just naturally want to be one of the best, just the type of person i am. :turned:

7: ummmmm, think im done B)(Y)

Dan

Edited by Yorkbiketrials.co.uk

to be fair steve.... i dont think you take your riding that seriously at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

there are SO many other people who take it far more seriously than you do......

you dont go out training and obsessing saying you MUST get over said wall UCI clean or whatever.... u go home if it rains..... u dont ride as much as you should anyway..... i think its all blown way out of proportion!

as far as the eating thing goes.....

it does make sense, and it clearly does work..... you eat healthily, and your in good shape to prove it.... i eat junk and drink way too much, and a fat b*****d! thats all the proof i need!

get out and ride MORE stevey, ignore what People say! its all bullshit, you dont take it too seriously AT ALL in my opinion, for a long time i was far mroe serious than you are....

now im crippled, ive kinda decided i want to do something about my riding in general. ive stuck on over a stone sinse getting to uni! so im going to loose some weight in the new year, get some cash together, get a nice shiney bike, and start riding LOADS, try and sort it out again :P

ignore them mate! its quite clear that you ride because you love it!

i ride because one day i would love for riders to see me as, as much of a influence as i see CLS tunni etc and think that highly of me :) theres no way its ever going to happen but aiming for that is what kees my riding the way i see it the better you are the more fun you have

i ride for purely the same reason... the fact that it keeps me fit and is AMAZINGLY FUN! is just a bounus really.

(not being a big-head or anything)but... i have found that since i have got better in general riding than i used to be, i have enjoyed trials a whole lot more.

But now have got 'good' (so to speak) i have become alot more picky about what my bike feels like and how i feel. eg.

i now only want to ride with try-all tyres( dunno why but they feel the best for me ^_^ ) and i care about the weight of my bike allot more, also, i want to keep myself in good shape... so that when i do ride... i ride to the best of my ability.

the only thing stopping me from achieving the ' keep my slef in good shape ' goal is, when i ride i eat crap... sugary sweets... biscuits and lots o' choclit :lol: and when you are as small as i am, 1 chocolate bar can really fill you up for a full day, so when it comes to getting somthing proper to eat a tea time... you end-up having cerials lol :D

anyway...

thanx for letting me yap my ass of to you and i hope my veiw was useful, :D^_^

cheers,

bill (Y)

Im in it for the bitchs and money, or have i got that mixed up with rock and roll, i was wandering when the money would come rolling in as well as the bictchs

Are you all aware that even if your top of the game you dont get paid much if anything at all in the sport of trials

thats the ONLY cycle sport which is like taht.

when i ride on my own (pretty much all the time) if the weather is good and im in the mood i can ride solid for 5 hours straight, on my own.

so i guess you could say that i take riding serious when im on my own, as thats all i do, is ride. i do like training, and doing things i have never done before, makes me feel good, "self achievement" or summat.

but if im riding with people i know and that i get along with...can have a laugh with, i tend to end up messign about far more than riding.

the eating thing... i try to eat as healthy as i can, unless im bored then i just eat loads of shit. but ye, i try and eat/drink (as much water as poss) cause i just like feeling healthy, i would be the same if i didnt ride.

so i guess im a pretty serious rider...but im not bothered, just the way i am.