Whats Your First Impression

Rob_P

well i shall make the 1st proper comment on this....

i really like the lighting, no background, fully concentrated on the rider. black and white made it bit 'urbany' if you get what i mean... so if its B&W you can try adding some sort of tiled background?..eg brick walls and concrete stuff. although its all a suggestion... maybe this is as good as it can be!

steve (Y)

no helmet makes it bad for anything that goes out to the public. but i very much like the picture. there's something weird about the riders position in the air, but i cant tell what. The flash/light source looks cool from there.

EDIT: his arm covers a bit of the face.

Edited by Backgren

I really like the idea behind it, but i think the flash is the wrong place. To little is lit up of him, although in some places, it looks to much. Maybe try (if we imagine a circle around the rider) closer to the camera, but still at him?

it depends. is the picture an actual picture of a rider in the air with a seperate flash, or is either the flash added OR is the rider copyied and pasted?

if its the picture you took with the background edited out then its awesome, its all about the rider and the bike, no background no other people just pure riding.

if its an image thats been cut out and applied to a blackback ground then i dont like it as it doesnt represent it.

but like i said if thats a real pic with a bit of colour photoshop then i love it

lol hope that made sense

it depends. is the picture an actual picture of a rider in the air with a seperate flash, or is either the flash added OR is the rider copyied and pasted?

if its the picture you took with the background edited out then its awesome, its all about the rider and the bike, no background no other people just pure riding.

if its an image thats been cut out and applied to a blackback ground then i dont like it as it doesnt represent it.

but like i said if thats a real pic with a bit of colour photoshop then i love it

lol hope that made sense

He took the picture, trust me (Y) ( the whole thing....no faffing about here the kid takes photography to the next level :P )

that really is a radical photo, when i did my a-level photography did some stuff with secondary flash guns

but that, yeh!

would like to see some more, i was thinking flash gun closer to the floor, shining upwards, i find it gives even more impact to the photo,

because as you look at the photo, you look from on side to another, which is what happens when you see a car go past, you move your head left to right or whatever

the guy is bunnyhopping, i recon flash gun from further below has to be tryed man,

absolutly wicked (Y)

luisio

the only thing that sorta struck me about it in a critical sense was that it almost seemed unbalanced. The way there's the eye-catching light and flare at the l-side of the shot sorta draws your eye, but the relatively centred rider almost seems a little out of place just 'cos there's nothing behind him. Maybe if he was a little further over/there was a tighter crop on the r-side? I dunno, it's still a cool pic, just that was the only thing I'd possibly change, I guess.

Didn't happen to be inspired by my night stuff did it? :P

What is 'it'?

Ultimately an image is presented and you have to accept it as an image. This isn't a documentation of an event, some beacon of truth. It's an abstract image. The rider could be 2" off the ground or 20', it doesn't matter. It's about the shape he's making, and the reduction of everything else around him so that he is the centre of attention. You don't look at the size of the move or where he is, it's a pure reduction of trials down to the rider and his bike. Could be BIU, UCI, street or natural. It doesn't matter. This is a distillation of trials down to it's essence, and I love it.

In fact, I may just get a copy for me wall...

the flash on the left has got to go...its far too grainy and very distracting from the rider- which is a clear and fantastic capture. Is it a remote flash or was that just a street light or something else? Isolate the rider, put a total black background around him and its gold