Controllable Manuals ...

Endohopper

• 5 months later...

Right, back to this thread again :P

I've only been practicing flat land moves the last 2 weeks, mainly manuals.

My main problem is that I can't get the front wheel to (slightly) lower when it gets too high.

Using the rear brake just sucks, I only want to use balance to drop it.

Whenever I feel that my front wheel gets too high I always move my hips towards the stem, which I feel isn't exactly the right thing to do.

So what should I do to lower the front wheel?

I've read that you need to bend your knees, but in what way? Bent my knees so I sit down more, to get up straight or to move towards or away from my stem?

yeah, if the front end is going too high, then you need to bend your legs, the faster you do it the faster the front drops. Bend them like your trying to sit on the bb.

I have still never had a manual dream

Why would you want manual dreams if you can perform them when your awake :P

There's one thing that I don't understand, how come that the front wheel will drop when you try to sit down more (lower your bum). It would seem to me that that you would shift your weight backwards which would cause the front wheel to actually go up higher :unsure:

how come that the front wheel will drop when you try to sit down more (lower your bum). It would seem to me that that you would shift your weight backwards which would cause the front wheel to actually go up higher :unsure:

The way I see it, you're supposed to move your body weight "into" the centre of your bike (bb), not sit straight down on the rear wheel.

Ive been trying backwards manuals recently and started out at the point of "oh my god these are not possible" but slowly im getting into it - Im still crap but I can get a whole stroke in on the flat now ...

I struggle to get past my bad foot, I'm right foot forward so I get that round then it's like I slow down so I'm only just letting it go backwards. Suppose these real balance moves are complete practise

I have the manual dream quite a lot - it's like my brain is trying to tell me how to do it.

I know how to do it, I just can't :(

i had the manual dream just before i started nailing them!

speed helps... a lot.

edit: my advise would be make sure that your balls of your feel are on the pedals, as you use your heels a lot.

Edited by Simpson

• 1 year later...

I'm at my manual phase again.. more determined than ever now! I've promised myself that I will practise manuals at least 1 hour every day, one week long. However..it's not going really well.

My fork is cut of way too low so I can use only one spacer, which makes the bars way too low when you look at my bottom bracket rise. Could this affect my manual skills, or am I just making an excuse for myself?

28172324208847249840410.jpg

Geometry:

Wheelbase: 1020mm

Chainstay Length: 350mm

BB Rise: 80mm

Pulling into manuals is pretty bad, because I have to pull so hard that I often overshoot, or my stance is messed up when pulling. So I'm trying them from a wheelie now, is that bad? Do note that my biggest problems with manuals is actually staying in the manual spot rather than actually getting in it.

I discovered that my manual spot is much closer to looping out than to dropping the front wheel. Might sound a bit weird, but I feel more comfortable to hold a manual while I'm about to loop out, instead of keeping the front wheel low. The front wheel feels like it wants to pull down when I'm trying to keep it low.

This causes my stance to almost be "leaning back", similiar to atsuya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEK3fZFsfTE&feature=BFa&list=UU8EFg3F5LPAErT8KgY8hmxw&lf=plcp

When trying to drop the front wheel, I bend my knees, but this only causes me to lean back even more which only makes the front wheel rise, at that point I press the rear brake and drop the front wheel completly(and die a little inside).

Because of this stance, it's very difficult to correct myself when I feel like I'm about to loop out. So most of the time I fail due to looping out, instead of dropping the front wheel.

Should I correct my stance? Or might this be due to my low front end?

I will try to get someone to capture a video of me tomorrow.

Edited by omgnoseat

I used to be the same, manualling with the front wheel super high and then tapping the brake, slamming the front down and crying myself to sleep at night.

You say it feels easier to keep the front wheel high which is fair enough, you've got a high bb on that so naturally it'll want to sit up like that, and there's a lot less chance of the front dropping, but you really do need to practice keeping it lower - it'll help you so much! Like hop manuals/ manuals to ups etc just don't work if you keep it front. Think of it like pre-loading for a bunnyhop but then just never hopping.

Or if you are gonna stick to keeping it high, are you sucking your arse back in towards the bike or just down lower? If you're still over the rear axle and just getting lower that'd explain why it just loops you out. Think consciously NOT to brake when you're close to looping out. That did a lot for me when I was learning. Thought about a higher rise stem, too? Or a 24"...

I'm at my manual phase again.. more determined than ever now! I've promised myself that I will practise manuals at least 1 hour every day, one week long. However..it's not going really well.

My fork is cut of way too low so I can use only one spacer, which makes the bars way too low when you look at my bottom bracket rise. Could this affect my manual skills, or am I just making an excuse for myself?

28172324208847249840410.jpg

Geometry:

Wheelbase: 1020mm

Chainstay Length: 350mm

BB Rise: 80mm

Pulling into manuals is pretty bad, because I have to pull so hard that I often overshoot, or my stance is messed up when pulling. So I'm trying them from a wheelie now, is that bad? Do note that my biggest problems with manuals is actually staying in the manual spot rather than actually getting in it.

I discovered that my manual spot is much closer to looping out than to dropping the front wheel. Might sound a bit weird, but I feel more comfortable to hold a manual while I'm about to loop out, instead of keeping the front wheel low. The front wheel feels like it wants to pull down when I'm trying to keep it low.

This causes my stance to almost be "leaning back", similiar to atsuya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEK3fZFsfTE&feature=BFa&list=UU8EFg3F5LPAErT8KgY8hmxw&lf=plcp

When trying to drop the front wheel, I bend my knees, but this only causes me to lean back even more which only makes the front wheel rise, at that point I press the rear brake and drop the front wheel completly(and die a little inside).

Because of this stance, it's very difficult to correct myself when I feel like I'm about to loop out. So most of the time I fail due to looping out, instead of dropping the front wheel.

Should I correct my stance? Or might this be due to my low front end?

I will try to get someone to capture a video of me tomorrow.

one word

BRAKELESS

I m shit at riding but I can manual pretty well because I ve learn it with no brakes (or sometimes very shitty brakes)

also, your bar seems way forward, set it up a bit backward

will feel better

the easier you can pull the front wheel, the better

and, about front wheel high or low, I think it s pretty much up to your body and your bike size/set up

the longer the bike, the higher the front wheel in manual

look at the bmx guys they can stand very low, because of the silly short bikes

Edited by chimpanzyyyy

I have been getting pretty good at manuals this year which makes me happy as I have been learning them for years. The thing that made me improve the most was doing really slow speed manuals, on flat ground and on a brakeless bike. It really helped me learn the right body movements to keep the manual, especially without being able to rely on your back brake to stop you from looping out.

• 2 weeks later...