Controllable Manuals ...

Endohopper

...So I've been practicing manuals for well over 2 years now ( :$ ) and just cannae get 'em right . Yes , I HAVE searched and read all similar posts . I think I understand the move , and I do practice every time I ride , attempting varying speeds , uphill / downhill , pulling up , or starting with a few pedals , but Goddamnit , it just ain't happening . No progression , no common cause of failure , very frustrating .

By the way I ride 26" ( shown in sig ) with flat bars - yes , risers would help but surely I can get at least like 5 meters with my setup ? Am I just never gonna get the holy grail of smooth riding ? Any tips ?

Edited by Endohopper

Best advice I could give you is to watch some BMX videos. Check out any rider who rides brakeless particularly and you'll see the perfect technique slightly exagerated. As Krisboats said, it's all about keeping the perfect balance point by shifting your weight forwards and back while using your knees to sort out left/right. I've always found it easiest to do them on a slight downhill, that way you can afford to use the brake a bit more without losing too much momentum.

Dave

edit: try

At the end of the day, you probably know the correct technique, it's just a case of keep practising and you should get there.

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

By the sounds of thisgs i do it the same way as pauloliver. keep low. arms fully extended is usually the easiest way & wen the bike starts to dip, instead of pedalling like in a normal wheelie, pump your legs to full extention (like you're kicking the bike out from underneath you) & as it rises to high, pull yourself back in towards the bike.

I'm shite at explaining techniques but i hope it helps.

Make sure you are bending your legs and getting your bum over the back. Try and keep your arms locked in a straight position, as i find that way they act a bit like a lever. Also when you do it try not to pump with your legs straight away as it can upset your balance, so try rolling without pumping your legs for a bit and then when you feel the bike slowing down or the front dropping, pump with your legs to counter act it.

• Like 1

Best way imo is to go down to your local bmx track and try pumping through the doubles instead of jumping them - if you mannual through you get used to the feeling of doing it without touching the brake which 9/10 is the problem, either grabbing it or dragging it so you loose momentum.

I used to drag the brake so my mannuals were vertical and people always said it looks so odd, but i went to the track a few times and then could just do it without thinking of the brake.

Keep on it and you have them quicker than you know!

(Y):)

Quick question - have you ground your rim ? if so its gonna be b*****d hard to learn....

Anyway - like dave said learn downhill that way you can lean to far back and drag the brake to keep you balanced - when you are leaning too far back is better than too foward.... youll find that way you can just start to use the brake less n less then just roll forever ...

Maybe with black pads or whatever you use Rowan! I don't think you can really use the brake if you've got a powerful grabby setup like most of us do - as soon as you touch the brake the front slams down. Brakeless is definitely the way to go - although I always cover the brake just in case. Having said that, don't listen to me because I suck at manuals...

I used to be able to get them on my bas e to an ok distance..... best way id say is pop 1 cranks worth of weelie before to raise the nose then used your legs..... that said my brake was "soft" comapred to others.

Try a nice wide back tyre too that will help !!!!

• 2 months later...

Well , a month or 2 has passed and I'm beginning to get kinda reasonable stability going , but they're sketchy as Hell . Thanks to your advice I didn't give up on the move entirely , even though it's not strictly speaking a neccesary move . Still considering changing back to a riser bar like an Azonic something or other . Thanks anyway , folks . :)

Well , a month or 2 has passed and I'm beginning to get kinda reasonable stability going , but they're sketchy as Hell . Thanks to your advice I didn't give up on the move entirely , even though it's not strictly speaking a neccesary move . Still considering changing back to a riser bar like an Azonic something or other . Thanks anyway , folks . :)

yes do that :)

Yeh quite funny you should be thinking that - its exactly what my mate did a couple of days back on his onze. He put the azonic risers but found they didnt really make manualing too much easier and they weren't as wide as his try all flat bars so didn't feel to nice. But its worth a try I guess :) . He is crap at manuals anyway though - like me.

I really cant find the position but the only time I did a decent manual was by basically doing a tiny 'pedal up' onto a curb and landing in the right position to just keep on holding it. This is so stupid but on my t-rex I can seriously not get the front wheel to the manual point - just won't go up without a pedal. I find it annoying because when stationery I've got good balance on the back wheel but I just cant pull off the manuals ....need to practise alot more.

Phil

I lock my legs out too and sort of hang off of my arms from the bars. Front goes down i hang lower, so to speak and lean more ofer the back wheel which pulls my weight back on the bars, front goes too high i kind of lean up/squat my legs so my weight shifts forward a bit, either that or lights apply the brake/a combination of both.

Ill admit im not that good anymore (i used to have a zebdi now i have a base with zoo pads) and although easy to get it up due to the short back end i think maybe its so short its a bit twitchy.

Fast reply , Krisboats , some psychic connection among Base riders ? Should my stance be like when backhopping ?

no, you need to get your arse right over the backwheel to spread your weight out, and dont have your body too rigid, needs to be fluid so you can counterbalance it when the bike falls backwards or forwards, all the time you need to be lightly feathering the brake.