Controllable Manuals ...

Endohopper

May I suggest having some rythm in the your "humping" I find my manuals are much smoother when I'm at a regular beat, else your'e just push-pulling your bars and normally you can't go far and your bars probably won't be set up right if you want to hop something at the end of your manual.

May I suggest having some rythm in the your "humping" I find my manuals are much smoother when I'm at a regular beat, else your'e just push-pulling your bars and normally you can't go far and your bars probably won't be set up right if you want to hop something at the end of your manual.

Not quite true ? if you can hop something at the end of the manual whats the point (on a trials bike) ? In a perfect world you dont want to move your body at all - once you are in the right position you can just roll - and you can manual with your bars set up anyhow you like its just your body position will need to be different (slightly) to balance properly (and possibly youll need to yank harder on them to get the thing up into position)

Slightly off topic, but I started to learn stoppies today, but can anyone give me tips as the how to use the brake?

Is the idea to brake hard to lift the rear, roll a little, and sort of repeat, or to find a point of braking that's enough to lift the back and feather on that braking point consistently?

Thanks!

Not quite true ? if you can hop something at the end of the manual whats the point (on a trials bike) ? In a perfect world you dont want to move your body at all - once you are in the right position you can just roll - and you can manual with your bars set up anyhow you like its just your body position will need to be different (slightly) to balance properly (and possibly youll need to yank harder on them to get the thing up into position)

That is what i find the easiest way of doing them.

I try and roll along for as long as i can without pumping, and then once i start to slow down or the front gets too high or too low, thats when i start to pump.

Try to keep you arms fairly straight, and your arse over the back and use your legs and hips to keep it balanced, this way your arms act like levers.

I've found my manuals have got a lot better now i ride brakeless bmx. This way i'm just relying on body movement, and not the back brake (which often doesn't help as trials pads are too sharp).

get your arse right over the centre of the rear wheel.

front wheel about 12-18 inches above the floor and adjust your body accordingly to keep it there and keep it going.

just practice but never use the back brake as its too shrap on most trials bikes.

my tip is simple.

ever had a manual dream? if you have, the manuals are not far away.

i had been practising manuals for ages. then i had one of them dreams (those who have had them know what i am talking about). then some weeks later it just clicked and i remember the feeling from the dream.

ever had a manual dream? if you have, the manuals are not far away.

Creepy :ermm: . I DID actually dream I was rolling a manual , presumably as a result of having posted this thread earlier that night .

Further thanks for your input , folks - gonna keep working at this cool yet thoroughly useless move over the coming days .

P.S Damn Felix Mucke and all riders capable of doing manuals for making 'em look so effortless . :(

• 1 year later...

UPDATE :

• I'm still appaling at 'em .
  • I've concluded that no-one is actually capable of manuals , and any videos that feature 'em are digitally manipulated .
  • Azonic risers seem to make little difference .

Also - Grrr . :$

Edited by Endohopper

I've really started to get manuals good lately.

I gave up on just pulling the front end up and with my set-up (and it being a mod) it was nearly impossible, so I wheelied into it instead.

The one thing that really helps me is getting my arse into the right balance point, before I stop pedalling (like I say I wheelie into it).

The position should be like a tuck when you do a backwheel, just not so low, and keeping the arms straight.

I find I manual better if I make sure I am in a good position to start with, when I'm in that position I can hold it really well without too much movement.

UPDATE :

• I'm still appaling at 'em .
  • I've concluded that no-one is actually capable of manuals , and any videos that feature 'em are digitally manipulated .
  • Azonic risers seem to make little difference .

Also - Grrr . :$

Dont give up - you could maybe try coming at it from a different angle ? imagine that the position you need to be in is almost identical to that of hopping on the back wheel .... so do that then start to kick it foward, no hops !!! see how far you have to go before you need to use the back brake and twist (steer) to keep the balance ? try not to hop at the in between stages ... i imagine by doing this the steering / balance bit may come easier ?

they are kinda pointless but so much fun ...

From my experiences:

Years of trying without much obvious progression, then it just started working. I kept trying the same without learning anything new that I was aware of, and it just suddenly improved a lot.

As for body position, mine is quite different from when I am hopping, my arms are much straighter and my arse is down nearer to the back wheel for manuals.

And I find if I use the brake at all it suddenly goes very unstable. So just cover it for emergencies, and get used to never using it and just bend your legs if you're going too far back instead.

And yeah definitely dream about manuals! To me the sensation of being in a manual is like the equivalent of being able to fly...

And yeah definitely dream about manuals! To me the sensation of being in a manual is like the equivalent of being able to fly...

That is so familiar! I often dream of doing endless manuals, it's a brilliant feeling. Makes me so pissed off when I wake up and realize I can't do them. Been practicing them on and off for years without any luck :(

That is so familiar! I often dream of doing endless manuals, it's a brilliant feeling. Makes me so pissed off when I wake up and realize I can't do them. Been practicing them on and off for years without any luck :(

Yeah, if you ride bikes in any kind of 'trick' way, you'll get manual dreams. It's f**king weird. Like almost everyone I know who rides has had one, and they're all almost identical.

I actually had a nose manual dream once, and fell off.

That was pretty much the most depressing point of my life :P

I had a manuel dream once too, woke up because i realised i was actually "humping" my bed with my arms straight up in the air lol

oh and you know that feeling you get when you do a big drop and you think you're never going to hit the ground dreamt that aswell like a falling dream but on a bike

Edited by G4vyn

To actually make my contribution to this thread worthwhile...

When I go into a manual, I try and aim to get a "sitting back down in a chair" sort of feel when I pump into it. By that, I mean you bend your legs quite a bit and keep your arms straight, so you sort of pump the front end up and drop your arse down as though you were going to sit down to take a shit. Then, you just use your legs to pump the manual up, or otherwise just hang your weight off the back from your arms. Works for me (Y)

MY advice is think fluidity. Try and hold yourself in the most relaxed way possible because it allows for smoother movement that are less likely to disrupt the delicate balance. Additionally, keep all of your joints at angles so that they can be utilized for correctional purposes - smooth suspension.

Additionally, pay lots of attention to the balance point sensation, even if you only get it for a second, I suspect you should be able to identify it. The more you know it and remember it regardless of it doesn't help at first, the easier it will be for your unconscious to do the manual for you in the future. It's a type of programming and it definitely works - learn the sensation and all of a sudden all of your body parts will just know what to do...

Edited by rowly

Yeah, if you ride bikes in any kind of 'trick' way, you'll get manual dreams. It's f**king weird. Like almost everyone I know who rides has had one, and they're all almost identical.

I actually had a nose manual dream once, and fell off.

That was pretty much the most depressing point of my life :P

lol why do we do that :S ive dreamt it a few times

That's so weird, I actually had one not long ago, that was so convincing I actually thought I'd done it the day before!

I got on and it went horribly wrong lol

I actually got in a foul mood thinking "I could do it yesterday!!".

Hehe, never mentioned it as I thought it was weird...

• 1 month later...

it took me months to learn to manual its all in the legs you dont need brakes to do it bend your knees to go slower and straighten them to go faster, if your going to far back pull your brake abit and bend your knees also strat with the brake on slightly :o it worked for me

it took me months to learn to manual its all in the legs you dont need brakes to do it bend your knees to go slower and straighten them to go faster, if your going to far back pull your brake abit and bend your knees also strat with the brake on slightly :o it worked for me

It's annoying because I know the technique, I just can't do it. I hit my head wheelie-ing once and I think it's made me paranoid about that kind of thing :S