Controllable Manuals ...

Endohopper

sorry to bump this one, but a word of advice: i ride my bmx brakeless and can manual 50+ car park spaces but on my trials bike (which is an old school monty stock) i was struggling to get much more than 5 spaces...i realised it was because i wsa always covering my brakes and relying on that to save me from landing on my backside, so i just went death-grip without covering the brakes and it worked a treat! It's easy to hold a manual on a low bb trials bike as long as you can get locked in to it properly and dont grab a big handful of brake everytime you get scared, just balance it withh your body weight!

It takes a lot of practice for sure...I find it's easier to learn with a brake that's on smooth rims without tar, but still has hold. Also, try pedaling if your front wheel starts to fall. This might help you for a while to get the hang of it, but don't rely on it.

I learned to manual on my DJ bike. I used to pull sitting down wheelies, then reach a certain speed, and just coast without pedaling (while sitting down of course), I found I could go for well over 100 feet just coasting like that, and then when I got my trials bike (seatless, lol) I had something to go on. It's really all about finding that balance point, and knowing how to make SMALL leg pumping adjustments, and feathering the brake.

• 1 year later...

Well , it took a lotta pesistence , a few scary loopouts off the back and all your advice , but I can confidently state that I can now roll a decent controllable manual . ^_^ Actually the overzealous pullups that spat me off the back were invaluable lessons , teaching me exactly where my bike's pivot point is and that I won't crack my skull open if it goes wrong and my fears dissipated . Many thanks for all your advice , it really IS all in the legs although you can read that a thousand times but untill you feel that point where the bike strangely seems to become lighter and you can just stay there without corrections ( as Mr.Bongo mentioned ) it's hard to implement .

It also really helped to stay loose and relaxed and kinda "feel" rather than think in a Zen / Jedi proprioceptive sort of way . Better still - having made some major advances already , manuals became easier still when I recently bought my first fat drilled proper trials rim and shod it with Schwalbe's excellent Big Betty . I ain't no Felix Mucke , but I'm now confident enough to not only roll manuals just for the Hell of it , but to actually USE and incorporate them into lines . I realise this is "Happy thread " material , but given that the advice offered here helped me loads , hopefully bumping this thread may be useful to others seeking a deeper understanding of the fundamental underlying workings of the universe .

:P

Manual dreams! I've had those a few times.

I used to never be able to manual, and then one day after work I said to myself, I'm going to pull back until I loop out, and then I'll get a sense of how far back I can pull without falling off. It worked! I can manual quite far now.

Keep trying it, pulling out til you loop out, really try and get a feel for what the bike's doing as you do it. This should also help you with the technique of pulling up into a manual.

Once you get a feel for it it's basically pulling up til you feel the bike and yourself hit the so called chocolate point. I can't usually hold manuals directly on the point, and in fact if it ever happens I know it's not going to be a good manual, good manuals have lots of weight-shifting.

Give it a try!

Manuals, what a pain in the arse they are to learn.

I had a murderous time learning manuals, at one point I could do them if I jumped up on to something, like a curb or the platform of a halfpipe, all the way along and drop back in again, just could not do them on the flat just riding along (no further than about 10ft) so this is what I did ( and it's a bit mad).

I put a bag on my back with a load of books in it.

Easy as then.

The problem was all in my head and the leaning back bit, with the books on my back that sort of forced me to learn or go on my arse.

Matt

The manual dream, ah, I had that for about 10 years, such a pisser when you realize it's a dream.

Mind you I had a pedal kick dream the night before I learned them.

Edited by Matt Vandart

• 3 months later...

I've build up a new mod recently, but I have no chain atm. So I went out and tried some manuals (running with bike, then jump on the pedals :P).

It's actually going better than on my previous bike, so I have some motivation to start trying them again.

The biggest problem is that my "sweet spot" seems to be so close to the looping out point. I'm not scared of falling on my bike, but if I go just slightly above the position that seems to be the "sweet spot" the front is uncontrollable and wants to shoot up up. So hard to maintain the sweet spot :(

I'm also having difficulties looking forward, I tend to look at the height of the front wheel. When I want to look up in front of me I start loosing my balance and the front wheel shoots up.

I also don't know how fast I am supposed to go.

(I also had the manual dream for numerous time btw :P)

Any tips for me?

Edited by omgnoseat

I've build up a new mod recently, but I have no chain atm. So I went out and tried some manuals (running with bike, then jump on the pedals :P).

It's actually going better than on my previous bike, so I have some motivation to start trying them again.

The biggest problem is that my "sweet spot" seems to be so close to the looping out point. I'm not scared of falling on my bike, but if I go just slightly above the position that seems to be the "sweet spot" the front is uncontrollable and wants to shoot up up. So hard to maintain the sweet spot :(

I'm also having difficulties looking forward, I tend to look at the height of the front wheel. When I want to look up in front of me I start loosing my balance and the front wheel shoots up.

I also don't know how fast I am supposed to go.

(I also had the manual dream for numerous time btw :P)

Any tips for me?

Don't eat cheese before you go to bed. Oh, and you can go as fast as you want doing manuals, fast as f**k down a steep hill does it for me.

I can get pretty good manuals on my Zona now, somehow!

It's all about keeping the front wheel in the same place, on your balance point, and pumping your legs to keep it going and to balance. I try not to touch my brakes, as I'd just end up slamming back down anyway, plus you learn how to control it better. :)

I had a manuel dream once too, woke up because i realised i was actually "humping" my bed with my arms straight up in the air lol

oh and you know that feeling you get when you do a big drop and you think you're never going to hit the ground dreamt that aswell like a falling dream but on a bike

I've dreamt of manuals many times, never dreamt of MANUEL nor of humping him! :lol:

Am i the only one who learnt them fairly easy? >_< Didn't take long for me to learn them, now I can do them for as long as I have speed, or until I get tired :) And I've never had a manual dream :$

If your legs are straight the front end will drop. If your legs are bent the front end will go up. If you start loosing speed you just pump your legs from straight to bent, over and over.

That's just the way I thought off it, and within no time I had learnt it :)

Edited by austen

...So I've been practicing manuals for well over 2 years now ( :$ ) and just cannae get 'em right . Yes , I HAVE searched and read all similar posts . I think I understand the move , and I do practice every time I ride , attempting varying speeds , uphill / downhill , pulling up , or starting with a few pedals , but Goddamnit , it just ain't happening . No progression , no common cause of failure , very frustrating .

By the way I ride 26" ( shown in sig ) with flat bars - yes , risers would help but surely I can get at least like 5 meters with my setup ? Am I just never gonna get the holy grail of smooth riding ? Any tips ?

ryan leech said it best.

that sort of balence...it's physicly impossible to think and do those sort of sensitive adjustments.....it's controled by your subconsious.

the more you do it the easier it gets!!!

Put a bag on my back with a load of books tools n' shit in it.

Easy as then.

Anyone who was with me on the big London ride will agree - check your cable's attached to your brake properly before doing it! :$

I have the manual dream quite a lot - it's like my brain is trying to tell me how to do it.

I know how to do it, I just can't :(

High five, Mike :(

Edited by Skoze

Anyone who was with me on the big London ride will agree - check your cable's attached to your brake properly before doing it! :$

I saw it, well heard it. I was riding ahead of matt. BIG "clonk" sound as he hit the floor :(

I can manual really well on flat and on my old BMX i had a rear brake so i could manual down hills....

Anyways i was manualling down a hill yesterday, started slow, speed built up, round the corner on the back wheel and hit a tiny bump. At that speed you can't just jump off and run away from it, so i hit pretty hard, came of the back and smacked the concrete.... and have grazes all over the plae and i'm in quite a bit of pain....

So yea, manual down hills slowly and have a brake otherwise stick to running speed or slower manuals on flat.....just some advice :)

I finally have a working chain now so I can practise them better.

There is progression, but not much. The hardest thing for me is still to keep looking ahead instead of the front wheel.

I'm trying never to use my brakes as I use a grind, and I want to be able to do them as smooth possible aswell, like in my dreams :P

yeah - I guess it just is practice in the end...

Ive been trying backwards manuals recently and started out at the point of "oh my god these are not possible" but slowly im getting into it - Im still crap but I can get a whole stroke in on the flat now ...