This Iolo Bike Malarky.

tuff_runt

Heyho,

Basically I cam every close to ordering a Curtis T24 this afternoon, until I decided to look over the IOLO bikes site once more.

I really need to know if a frame built there will be just as good, if not better than the T24.

I am needing BMX spaced rear end, 14mm slots (I want to run pegs occasionally), 22 inch TT, 15 inch back end, MTB BB, and run a slammed seat.

Both companies can make what I want, and I'm not scared of paying for a curtis.

I basically want the perfect street trials 24inch frame.

Discuss... (please)

Cheers guys.

my mate just just bought a iolo 24inch trials bike, and im very impressed with the build quality of the frame it has all the nice extras such as internal house routing,a plate on the bottom of the left chainstay etc its also made of the same steel as my curtis super x. try speaking to him or search iolo and find my mates bike pics, i'm sure he wouldn't mind if you pm'd him.

hope this helps

go for a iolo lovely frames well made too!

curtis are over priced bikes that i 'personally' think ride wank.

What curtis did you ride, i bet it had a crap setup, and it may have felt 'wank', because it might not have been the geometry to your liking.

They deffinetely dont ride 'wank'. :S

Edited by Dan-Walker

What curtis did you ride, i bet it had a crap setup, and it may have felt 'wank', because it might not have been the geometry to your liking.

They deffinetely dont ride 'wank'. :S

im not you and your not me so how about you give it a rest, its my PERSONAL opinion, i have rode a few all with good setups and thought they all felt like outdated overweight expensive crap.

you like them, i dont argue your point because you have your own opinion.

im not you and your not me so how about you give it a rest, its my PERSONAL opinion, i have rode a few all with good setups and thought they all felt like outdated overweight expensive crap.

you like them, i dont argue your point because you have your own opinion.

Bit OTT?

not really mate,

just if anyone voices there opinion in this place someone disagrees or argues about it,

maybe ott a bit but if i dont like a frame thats it really, you cant tell someone you like a frame if you dont :)

But he was hardly having ago, he was just saying it coulda had a shit setup, which is a fair point.

And this is a discussion forum, if we all agreed it would be incredibly boring and may aswell be a list of things to do.

go for a iolo lovely frames well made too!

I think that statement needs re-wording a bit.

Curtis bikes are priced at what they should be (material, time, quality, tools etc). Id say an IOLO frame is underpriced at £350, but with the trials market going the way it is these days with impressively cheap overseas frame, its hard to justify a higher (but more reflective) price.

Edited by Todge

if you rode any of the 26s then yes they probably did ride wank

if you rode a 24 a lot of them are built up heavy and streety..not ideal if you're not used to it.

curtis t24 is essentially the same as an ashton ET

i can't comment on the build quality / reliability of IOLO but i can assure you curtis make their frames exceptionally well, with often stupid attention to detail and quality. gary won't even give me a frame unless there are absolutely NO bubbles in the stickers. and i ride for them and don't care about a bubble in a sticker.

gary has been brazing for nearly 20 years and he still doesn't feel happy sending frames out unless they are brazed by brian - because that's the quality people have come to expect from curtis. (brian's nearly 70 and has been brazing for nearly half a century!)

Edited by the boon

but curtis are certainly very good with after sales stuff

gary is amazingly rude (well, was in my case), he had no time for me, and didnt really seem to give a toss to hear about what was up. i think others have had that trouble too

if you rode any of the 26s then yes they probably did ride wank

for definate :P mine and the others i tried were terrible, havent had a chance to try the 24t though, and i will admit the ride of the curtis jump bike i tried did seem quite nice

and todge is right, iolo frames are too cheap for what they are, i guess once he becomes more established, another price rise would be appropriate

Well.... I would say, from seeing and riding a Curtis T26 The build quality is second to none, it really is worth the money, unless you decide to sell it, which, if you do, you wont get anymore than £250.

Iolo, I havent seen one of these in real life yet but I have not heard a bad thing about them, they're cheaper than the Curtis with roughly the same sort of build quality I would assume from everyones banter about them

Overall, with the Curtis your paying for the brand and quite a few years experience, whereas, with the Iolo your getting a reasonably priced frame, that when you break, will be repaired free of charge (I think)

ive also heard quite alot of negative stories about curtis, however things often get taken out of hand on here. i know Iolo and i wouldnt consider going to leeson or curtis now. true iolo is relitivly new to this but his dedication to making a frame perfect is all i would need to persuade me to buy a frame. hes worked hard getting things perfect and now his frames look beautiful. also he will make anything you design ( as long as it would work). curtis wont, they stick to there design and just tweek the geo. for a truely individual frame and for the best aftersales service i would definatly get a iolobike

Hey, I'm the guy broomer was mentioning, I got my Iolo a week or so ago and have been really really impressed with it. It looks and rides amazingly, and everyone whos seen it has been seriously impressed with the quality of the brazing. Its the grey 24" frame on Iolos site, amd he's put up some detailed pictures in the bike pics in which you can see the smoothness of the brazing.

Detailed frame pics.

Bike pics.

I'll probably get some more pics of it in better light and with a different seat later today.

ive not ridden an iolo,but i got the chance to look at a few of the frames,and personally i feel that they'd be just as good,everything looks pretty tight.i have a curtis (now sat doing nothing) 26inch,and i have to say it rode pretty nicely.I found Gary to be a pretty nice bloke,he gave me what i requested,and even spoke to me at nass 04,and asked me if i was happy with it,and if not,was there anything i'd change?sound bloke,top frames.to be honest i think the only thing in it is the price differencei'd be happy with either,although i do like the fact that iolo give you a bit more freedom with geo.

Carl

the welds on curtis bikes are extremely good, i wouldnt have said any better than iolo's current ones. the powder coat i got on my curtis was not really up to scratch, lots of little bubbles and blotches etc. my one was a t1 and rode amaazingly, well i liked it :P

infact i still have it, just been rewelded for a small crack under the eheadtube by curtis, practically invsible dent on the down tube and 1 on each chainstay, brand new powder coat and stickies, looking for about 260.

Edited by mat hudson