Airport Security Question

trials_pimp

OK this is going to seem a bit of a weird Question, but does anyone know if I would need any special Precautions/notes ect to pass through Airport Security with a gold tooth?

Cant find anythign about it online, and dont want to visit the dentist as they will guilt me into booking an appointment.

Ive got 1 gold tooth at the back of my mouth, and would like to know if I need to prepare anything for airport security ect.

Strange, yes, but im sure someone here knows

Very much doubt it if there is a problem you just tell them about the tooth and they will just go over you with a hand detector to make sure no problem really.

Last time i went on a plane security was really tight so there was me having to have my shoes scanned and everything. Nick however had a strap on cast on his ankle and crutches so didn't even have to go through a metal detector. Apparently cripples are not terrorist threats.

i have 98 false teeth held in with metal and have had no problems. To even think there is a problem is daft so *slap* on the wrist for thinking such daftery! Every man and his dog has SOMETHING metal in them these days!

Worst case scenario, you have to open your mouth and say "Look it's a gold tooth". But that will not happen anyway.

(why does this have several replies, and no views?!?!?)

It doesn't matter even if the alarm does go off...provided you don't have a knife or anything on you! Every time I go through the sensor the alarm goes off, whether it's my watch or belt or what I don't know but I've come to expect it. They just do a quick pat down and check your shoes. So short answer: No problem at all.

Gold is a metal, hence METAL DETECTOR.

Your on about it not being magnetic. Pfft lol

what is in metal that makes it detectable, over plastic or wood??? Whats it's chemical signiture that makes it a metal?

Magnetism is defined by iron, as is a ferrous metal over a non ferrous metal, being the inclusion of iron unless i'm mistaken.

Reguardless of this, what makes metal metal???

I dont know, all i know is that its detected, i was just trying to use common sense and try an piece it together.

yes, you need iron, then in that case gold shouldnt go off like he said, since it has none in it since it forms in a pure state, unlike iron

EDIT: Looking at metal detectors as in beach ones, they use a frequency to pick up metals.

i give in, im confusing myself to f**k now

Edited by Si-man

what is in metal that makes it detectable, over plastic or wood??? Whats it's chemical signiture that makes it a metal?

Magnetism is defined by iron, as is a ferrous metal over a non ferrous metal, being the inclusion of iron unless i'm mistaken.

Reguardless of this, what makes metal metal???

All metals conduct electricity.

From wikipedia;

In its simplest form, a metal detector consists of an oscillator producing an alternating current that passes through a coil producing an alternating magnetic field. If a piece of metal, which is electrically conductive, is close to the coil eddy currents will be induced in the metal, and this produces an alternating magnetic field of its own. If another coil is used to measure the magnetic field (acting as a magnetometer) the change in the magnetic field due to the metallic object can be detected.

Any metal can have a current induced in it, thus a metal detector will detect any metal.

The thing in metals that produces magnetism is the number of unpaired electrons in the outer shell of the atoms, gold has very few (can't be bothered to find a periodic table), iron has 5 per atom I believe. The metal detectors are tuned to not detect things like fillings and piercings as much as possible, so in short you will probably get through un beeped.

so Instead of getting a relevent answer I got a massive Science Bebate.

SWEET, only of here.

Well im going to have to just go for it I think, and if anything does happen ill quote some shit off here and they will think im some super scientist and let me go, or some weird willy and lock me up, either way...........