Ok Car People, Ponder This One.....

BONGO

Pretty sure there was a production run of MG ZR's which ran on throttle bodies (similar to the lotus VHPD setup) which produced circa 190bhp. The reason for this was to enable them to run legitamatly in the tin-top racing (similar to Ford producing the RS200 to enable it to run in a production class).

european (tick)

Must be in production/been in production (Production ;- 400+ cars built) (tick)

Saloon or Hatchback (tick)

Must NOT be turbocharged/supercharged (tick)

100BHP per litre (tick)

No bigger that 2.0L (tick)

Jon

THIS is the best I can find. 115bhp from a 995cc rotary engine.

Ok, I'm gonna be careful because we've had a few false alarms so far, but this looks pretty promising, it's not a turbo, it's over 100bhp per litre, it's a saloon kinda thing, it's German....... where's the catch?

Davey

Edited by Small_Gear_Big_Style

NSU RO80

1967 - 1977

Germany

Engine:

Twin Rotary

Capacity:

2 X 497 cc

Power:

115 bhp

Transmission:

clutch-less semi-automatic

Top Speed:

112 mph

Number Built:

think it ticks all the right boxes

Horray for Endofreak lol

Edited by Brisa

apologies for the Alpina D3. i realised about 3 secs after posting that the BMW diesels are turdo'd, but didn't have chance to change. i was 3 mins late back from lunch due to your little challenge anyways! also didn't have time to investigate the new clio either (i did 100bhp per litre, not per tonne), not seen much bumf on the new ones, apart from them being fat and slow due to crash reg's.

good challenge though. not really seen much that comes close without being turbo/supercharged

Edited by guineasmithpig

Not too sure if mazda is europian I know it was (or possibly is still) a jap car but, I have some idea its owned by ford now so does a rx 8 count [topic=http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=7249]rx8

In the RX8, that 1.3 rotary unit develops a useful 238bhp without forced induction devices like a turbo or a supercharger.

Not too sure if mazda is europian I know it was (or possibly is still) a jap car but, I have some idea its owned by ford now so does a rx 8 count [topic=http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=7249]rx8

no, as if using technicalities, then technically fords american. till i read production, was gunna say r1 engined mini. closest i can think of is the new renault clio sport, 197.4 bhp from 1997 cc.

I think Mazdas Korean isnt it?

And aren't the new golf GTIs turbo'd? Please don't slap me if that's stupid of me.

Edit: I think that NSU does it if Wankel rotorys count as N/A.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...