Recommend A First Car Please....

huge

Im looking for a first car. Not bothered about style/looks/performance as it is to get to work everyday and occasionly stuff me bike in to. Not bothered about age but it needs to be reliable. What have you wonderful people found is cheap to run and insure?

thankyou

Edited by huge

B)-->

QUOTE(b @ Feb 9 2007, 05:33 PM)
look in the auto trader and on ebay, theres loooaaads.

Ever wondered why everyones selling them? :rolleyes:

I'd reccommend a fiesta or a corsa, good solid reliable cars, cheap to repair and maintain. VAG cars are generally not so cheap to fix.

Try and find a mk 4 Polo, I've got the 1.4CL and despite its girlyness its perfect as a first car, cheap insurance, totaly bombproof, new enough to find plenty in good nick and quite nippy (don't mistake "nippy" for fast) :P

Pete

nippy is the right word, i couldn't keep up in my mk3 golf 1.4 :(

nippy is the right word, i couldn't keep up in my mk3 golf 1.4 :(

but you just love golfs dont you will :P :P

Huw look in a quids in, the have loads of cars in there that are worth a look. Also it may be worth thinking about 306's too, as they're quite cheap to insure. even estates are

Edited by PaRtZ

Also it may be worth thinking about 306's too, as they're quite cheap to insure. even estates are

From friends experiences id say not to get a 306. There not massively reliable, even the diesels (weird 'cos 405/406 diesels are amazing). And there edging towards deathtrap in my books. Heard of so many having faulty airbags and stuff. I wouldn't want one anyway.

Id got for a mk3 Polo personally, you can get them so cheep and there really reliable and tough.

but you just love golfs dont you will :P :P

Huw look in a quids in, the have loads of cars in there that are worth a look. Also it may be worth thinking about 306's too, as they're quite cheap to insure. even estates are

That'll probably be because it's the same engine in a heavier car. Bit like a 1.9CDTI astra Vs. a 1.9CDTI vectra.

B)-->

QUOTE(b @ Feb 9 2007, 05:33 PM)
Im getting a 1995 1.2 renault clio.

A friend of mine has one and he says its great, pretty cheap on insurance too, which is always nice..

Think you can pick one up for around 700ish, look in the auto trader and on ebay, theres loooaaads.

Good luck!

Aaron.

i've had a '94 1.2 clio for two years now, and i'll agree, it's been ok, but adding it up i've probably spent £600 on top of the £600 i paid for it.

so imo, don't buy one, and certainly not for more than £600.

Mines got 77,000ish on the clock, new wheel bearings, new brakes, new air filter, new distributor cap, new spark plugs, oil and filter changed 3 times in the two years i've had it, and i had the timing done and re-tuned last year. it's in fairly good condition except for the clutch, and i'm only expecting to get £200-£400 for it.

----

as they said, stay away from french cars if you are looking for CHEAP and RELIABLE. French cars are either cheap and expensive to maintain, or reliable but expensive as a result. basically, they are expensive.

get either a polo, a micra or a fiesta.

polos are reliable but probably more expensive than the others.

micras are reliable and cheap but ugly as sin.

and fiestas are cheap and easy peasy to fix, but are kinda dull.

Something VAG (Volkswagen Audi group-so that covers VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda if you didn't know) based for sure, rarely hear a bad word about them, i'm very very chuffed with my car (Seat Toledo), and i don't know anybody who owns a VAG car and doesn't like it. A small diesel will be cheap to insure, but not exactly fun to drive, gotta be turboed for any hint of fun, personally id go for a petrol unless you go for a big engine/do alot of miles

I will be doing roughly 300 miles/week but desperately dont want a diesel. I saw a tidy looking suzuki swift earlier, anyone know anything about them?

had one as a first car. cant really find any faults for it being a first car, providin you can deal with the name/looks. but i found it to be very nippy for a 1.3(70 odd bhp, so same power as a 1.9d na 306, or a 1.4 306,focus,etc) but weighs pretty much nothing, handled like a go kart once id got some 15"s on it. went fast. had a nice japanese engine in, noisy,but seemed pretty bomb proof. found it dented pretty easy in places(tailgate etc) but guess thats what made it so light.

if its a good price go for it, and its something different to the corsas,festas, 106's everyone has as first cars.