I Can't Believe It Lasted That Long ...

Endohopper

Ever used a component long after it's worn out / due for replacement ? A certain part you don't really trust anymore that niggles at the back of your mind before that dodgy gap ? I recently replaced my chain and was amazed that it was even intact given it's terrible state . Been meaning to for ages , and it was only a cheapo Sachs PC somethingorother to begin with , yet it ran for surely 8-9 months . :ermm:

Also I've been running the same wOOdman handlebar for well over 4 years now , and am surprised to have intact dentistry thus far . What downright untrustworthy parts are you running whose life expectancy has long since passed ?

my ashton et frame, now two and a half years old, it has two cracks, one has been there for about 4 months, the other about 5 weeks, still going ok,

although i did forget about it a couple of weeks ago, and was doing 9+ ft drops on it, its still rideable :S

dont matter soon though, as i have a leeson 609 on the way :rolleyes:

cant wait

luisimo

hahaha, was that bar end tasty ?? :P

I used to ride with the mech hanger snapped, and only the skewer end holding the pieces together...

I didn't eat it, it hit me smack in the middle of the forehead and down my chest remember :lol:

My angle grinded door hinge bolt holding my chainring in on my truvativs when the bolts stripped was tonnes better than your broken mech hanger. Got me an extra 4 weeks of riding despite then chainring being snapped ;)

Well, I was using a KHE chain for well over 2 years, then just replaced it with a new one as it stretched too much. Bloody amazing chain, didn't snap once.

Other parts include Counstsinks which seem to have no wear after about 10 months of use even though they are run on a harsh grind; Onza 18T chainring which I've had for 2 years and has no wear at all and Tensile cranks which are 1,5 years old and the spline is still in perfect condition.

Before I got these specific parts, they all had to be replaced at least twice a year (well, apart from the chainring).

There's been loadsa parts like that over the years for me. The highlights include:

A pair of Wellgo caged pedals. The bearings got so bad that you could spin the pedal and it would continue spinning for a good 7 seconds or so. The only thing that killed them in the end was that I battered all the teeth off them so they got to chocolate-teapot status. In the end I did an epic bodge and turned one of the cages into a homemade chain device. I've still got the centre CNC'd bits complete with grease-free looser-than-a-scouse-bird bearings and a bent axle.

A UN52 that made some downright HORRIBLE noises. Lasted about 2 or 3 years of VERY hard abuse in that state until the bike got nicked.

My first MTB frame - a steel Gary Fisher XC bike that got ridden into the ground until the headtube cracked, and later the forks as well.

Many a pair of BBB V pads. They seemed to last forever. Also my Monty milk pads had just as much material on them when I sold my X-Lite (2 years later) as they did when I bought it.

A pair of Tracer cranks; for about a 18 months they were at a slight angle to each other (i.e. not straight) - the left crank was rounded a bit, and was bodged on using bits of biscuit tin lid to pad it out. I've still got one somewhere.

Pretty sure I had some Sachs chains back in the day that went to hell, back, and then back into hell again. You could say that they had a one way ticket to hell. And back. And back again. They took some ridiculous heavy-bike-heavy-rider-landing-to-bash-very-hard-on-a-brick-wall abuse, and never broke. They just stretched real quick.

I remember riding a cracked axle for a few weeks before it finally gave up the ghost.

Pretty sure I was running a 1.95 tube in a 2.3 Tioga for about 6 months as well.

There was more...I've got an LX left crank here that I remember lasting a while. And an STX left crank. And a cheap unbranded left crank. And another left crank that looks like it also said "LX" on it at one point, can't really tell. Spotting a theme here?

This is all from my riding days about 5/6 years ago. I'm yet to have anything like that this time around.

EDIT: Just remembered the threaded headset with a rounded and later crossthreaded locknut that lasted a good 2 years, even though it had more play than a theatre in it. Unbranded, came in the Gary Fisher XC bike. My mates were dumbfounded as to how it survived so long. In the end I upgraded to threadless due to cracking the forks I had at the time, and getting rigid beefy *threaded* forks turned out to be damn near impossible.

Edited by Jez

Was running a kmc kool thats had nearly 2 years worth of trials abuse. It repeatedly snapped the other week though so i left it.

id say thats verging on criminal......

the longest ill leave a chain on my bike is 2 months, after that, theyre just not safe!

My rear tryall rim is the shape of an egg, and my hope mono went bang the other night. also my hope mono trial leaks soo much its like a waterfall, often looses all power but regains it when you pump it several times.

Edited by Broomer

I've had my KMC Kool for around 2 years now..

Snapped a fair few times, to which i've simply replaced the broken link, and carried on.

Snapped again today, so my mate gave me a random link of a spare bit of his BMX chain. :closedeyes:

Everything else is fairly new though.. Few bodges here and there, nothing to worry about.

Bodged Magura TPA - Using a bolt instead of the 'fork' thing they usually have.

Threaded stem thread - Using a nut and bolt instead.

Using a few thin washers on my Magura bolts, becuase the bolts are too long, and i'm too lazy to cut them down.

That's about it. ^_^

my zip frame lasted 1.5 years of utter destruction. how its done that ill never know it REALLY should have snapped ages ago.

also on the flip side to this topic I had a shadow conspiracy interlocker that snapped 14 times before i realised that it was getting silly (lasted maybe 2 months before the first snap)

my zip frame lasted 1.5 years of utter destruction. how its done that ill never know it REALLY should have snapped ages ago.

Still hasn't cracked or snapped yet though has it?

Bloody strong frames they are. So under-rated because they're Onza. :sleeping:

Still hasn't cracked or snapped yet though has it?

Bloody strong frames they are. So under-rated because they're Onza. :sleeping:

yeah man, ah well more fool this foolish people for thinking they're koxx/deng frame wont snap :P muahahahahahhaha

well my chain scares me ... i have a standed monty chain ... with three snap links and the round bearing in the middle 2 of those are missing but everytime i but a chain i have trouble fitting it .. so i havent botherd yet but i get so scared when is it going to snap ... i no it will be on a big gap or in the worst place every ...:( i will change it soon asap ...haha well thats me ...!!

thanks bennyb

post-5656-1177014319_thumb.jpg

holds up amazingly, but i ground away to much when trying to make 160 mm caliper fit onto a mount that was supposedto be or a 210mm caliper, very thin in one particular area now.

Edited by abe

also on the flip side to this topic I had a shadow conspiracy interlocker that snapped 14 times before i realised that it was getting silly (lasted maybe 2 months before the first snap)

might i point out the same chain actually fell to pieces while we were riding (litearlly just roling along) when it was on alex's bike. moments after matt tore the stearer tube off his forks.

been using a kmc z510 for nearly 6 months now ahahahah

I've had my KMC Kool for around 2 years now..

Snapped a fair few times, to which i've simply replaced the broken link, and carried on.

Snapped again today, so my mate gave me a random link of a spare bit of his BMX chain. :closedeyes:

Everything else is fairly new though.. Few bodges here and there, nothing to worry about.

Bodged Magura TPA - Using a bolt instead of the 'fork' thing they usually have.

Threaded stem thread - Using a nut and bolt instead.

Using a few thin washers on my Magura bolts, becuase the bolts are too long, and i'm too lazy to cut them down.

That's about it. ^_^

lol all them three things are bodged on my bike. :lol:

I'm using some aincient pashleys with a leeson disc mount that belonged to rich pearson for years, and since I go them they cracked, were brazed up by clive again, and then the brazing cracked again, and there no re-welded again and still going strong. (Y)

My front DMR moto RT and coyote disc hub were originaly bought by me for my 24seven just bike in autum 2004 I think, stayed on that under my ownership untill spring 06, the bike it was on was then sold to a mates mate, then my mate bought the front wheel and tyre off the guy, and now I've bought the hub and tyre back again. haha, and the rim from the wheels still on another mates bike! So thats a 2 and a half year old tyre. :P