Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greetings

Ebikes?

4 posts in this topic

So who's got one? I didn't get what the hype was all about until I had the opportunity to ride a 2kW Kona Stinky this year. It absolutely blew my mind. In it's unlocked and not too legal form it had a top speed of almost 60kph without having to even touch the pedals. The running costs are apparently around 40p/100km. There's something really exciting about a bike with a throttle which is completely silent. You apply it and it just sort of goes. And then goes some more, with no effort on your behalf. 

Slowly getting fed up with traffic over here so I've been looking into building a custom ebike for the spring. There's a place nearby which sells decent conversion kits and makes custom batteries. The co-founder is an ex trials rider so we quickly found common ground. We've come up with an idea of a heavily geared single speed hardtail on MT7's, a 1kW hub motor and 24Ah battery pack. This would give it an unassisted cruising range of around 100km or around 30 at it's top speed, enough to commute even long distances without wasting too much time. Perhaps this will turn into a build thread sooner or later. Wondering whether there are people on this forum who are into this sort of thing?

I had a go on one a few summers ago and was very impressed; could see the appeal of getting girlfriends or children out on big rides or on epics that would be out of their normal range of fitness/power. wouldn't buy one myself yet. I'd definitely consider one when the electrics could be swapped about between an mtb or a roady. quite excited for decent electric roadies for commuting and such.

Local chap bought a pair of eBikes for himself and the wife as a means for getting to and from the nearest pub (~3 miles from their home). In theory, this is a resonable enough idea, but he bought a pair of 1250W bikes from AliExpress and they're both tiny with no real strength/coordination so neither of them are remotely in control. Dark nights with no lights through country lanes whilst pissed might not be the best idea :lol:

2 people like this

I find it very fun on the way home from work to come across someone who has bought one using the cycle to work scheme on the premis of 'getting fit', cruise up to the back of said lazy f**ker who is freewheeling on flat ground when they should be pedalling/remotely putting some effort in, sit there 'til I decide "you're in my bloody way you slow arse fat b*****d", click back a cassette cog or two, go round them at my lesiure and fck off into distance with barely a change in heartrate. You can do the same with restricted mopeds too. :D