How Do You Pedal Up Stuff?

PaRtZ

ok supposing you're rolling to a wall at walking speed. how many pedal rotations do you put in to get up the wall.

Im asking because i want to know what the "norm" is. To be honest im pretty much a n00b when it comes to forwards upping (as any of you have ridden with me no doubt noticed :P )

Ive always learnt to do just a half pedal which is pretty limiting really. I've got about 3 inches under bar height with a rolling run up and about top of head tube height without a run up but thats it, and thats not very consistant lol. So ive just been out and tried a full pedal rotation and on the 3 times I managed it, it felt SO nice and smooth, it was awesome. But that was out of 18 attempts lol...

so yeah how many do you use? also any tips be great too.

no idea where i start, it's down to initiative where you take off/start putting in the beanz, but i'll have my right foot+crank at the 12 o'clock position before i start putting power in+pulling up the front end. pedals before that varries, based on how pissed off i am/size of object/who i'm avoiding a slap from :)

Slow roll, left pedal forwards/up, pedal round (1/2 rotation) until right foot is up then kick proper hard and lift.

I find that if i proper lean back as im preloading (before pedaling), hold it until my right foot comes round and then jump with the bike as i kick, it really does get me higher. Also pushing forwards as i come level with the wall helps get on top.

Both Rob and me were tought to set off with our bad foot forward, the reason for this is so that when your strong foot comes round you are already on your way.

If you set off with your good foot it has reached the bottom of it's stroke before you are even away.

It feels a little wierd at first but the extra power you get is amazing. A bit hard to explain but try it and you will see what I mean.

full or 3/4 rotation mostly. sometimes half, depending on how close to the wall i wanna start.

i always do the rolling swap move rather than just beasting it up, find it much easier when the runup is limited. also easier to land on the top rather than the corner = smoother.

if i'm rolling in, i make one full pedal rotation, but i'm not sure where my feet are at as i lift the front up. i've always found it really useful to practice with no roll in, using just one full crank rotation or less. that also means learning to trackstand comfortably with your bad foot forward too, for half pedal stroke touches.

in the end, pretty much everyone has their own favoured way of doing it. practice all methods a lot, and see which is working for you. and study vids of better riders and their techniques, picking out where they make their power with the pedals, at what point they lift/tap/jump. my best taps just appeared randomly, and i'm struggling to harness the technique and timing! it involves lots of momentum, and a fat tap, which has led me to lots of over-the-bars vaults. i think i've cleared the wall i practice on more times than the bike has!

Smithy

Endless runup = two pedal strokes starting on good foot.

Short runup = one pedal stroke

Tight = half stroke starting on bad foot.

I love peadling up things feeld far more flowing in a comp than sidehoping, although it's also proberly the reason i'm not very good and can't sidhop :P

hey

man you should really get a DVD(download), mastering the art or trials by ryan leech (Y) hes a beast

he shows you pretty much every move used in trials from every angle and in slow mo. its helped me loads with timing when it comes to pedal up and zap taps, seriously try get it.

harry

Edited by Netherking

everytime I go to backwheel something, it's weak foot forwards, just a bit higher than level (half way between _ and / ) Then when I get cloe to the wall, I bring the front wheel up with my weak foot whilst leaning over the back wheel, then harsh kick when the strong foot comes around (as if you were static upping forwards) and springing forwards and up whilst using my arms and legs to bring the bike up.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

hey

man you should really get a DVD(download), mastering the art or trials by ryan leech (Y) hes a beast

he shows you pretty much every move used in trials from every angle and in slow mo. its helped me loads with timing when it comes to pedal up and zap taps, seriously try get it.

harry

Most of the sections of that dvd have been split and put on youtube, split into different moves.

Both Rob and me were tought to set off with our bad foot forward, the reason for this is so that when your strong foot comes round you are already on your way.

If you set off with your good foot it has reached the bottom of it's stroke before you are even away.

It feels a little wierd at first but the extra power you get is amazing. A bit hard to explain but try it and you will see what I mean.

and me!!