Illegal Downloading

Si-man

I can see their logic in it, but, I doubt very much it would go through.

Mainly being, there are other ways of getting things illegally. Heck, at college, as a fact people exchange movies, MP3's, etc. I didn't have much on my PC till last September. Now I have 32gig of music!

But yeah, I would just swap ISP if I was banned, plus, how can they tell if I'm illigally downloading ?

And in response to the iTunes costing too much money. We covered this in music business last week. Why do you think bands like Radio Head are doing it all themselves now ? Less money to record companies & distributors = Less money overall for the final product :)

Agreed

I'd much rather have an actually physical copy of something, like the proper dvd or cd, rather than downloading it, as i like to own it and be able to look at the cd artwork etc and all that crap, but cause everything is so fcuking expensive i cant be fcuked to buy it. 15-20 quid for a dvd is a rip, a tenner is more like it. And a fiver for a cd would be ok. Plus renting dvd's takes the piss tody aswell. almost a fiver to rent a dvd for 1 or 2 nights from fcuking cockbuster is stupid when i can download it within a few hours and have it to keep for free! Rant over.

Peace.

yea i buy cds semi regular, but like for £2 off ebay when i want them (got "custom -fast" last week for £2.25) i used to rent movies, but the thing is,now choices is the other way from work, the time it takes me to get across town to choices or blockbuster. park up, get back across town, then repeat to hand it back. i could download 2 films in that time

but as far as itunes and the like go, give it to me for stupid cheap and ill buy it, otherwise, ill just download it.

i buy dvds regularly, and ill spend £20 on a dvd, but itll be an enduro or motocross dvd. buying blockbuster films on dvd doesnt happen with me, unless there like £5, or im stuck in a hotel in milton keynes with a dvd player in the room, and ive got nothing to do for the next 8 hours.

the problem of piracy always will exists, its gone from old cassette tapes of spectrume games in the playground, to dodgy vhs tapes off the bloke in the market. to dodgy apps off the blokes selling cds outside bowlers computer fair, to downloading off winamp, to torrents, to rapidshare, isps may block it, just like the market got raided, cds got copy protected, and bowlers started getting raided, and winamp shut down, people will find a way round it, they always do.

And in response to the iTunes costing too much money. We covered this in music business last week. Why do you think bands like Radio Head are doing it all themselves now ? Less money to record companies & distributors = Less money overall for the final product :)

yea, but then if the record companies wernt making the money, they couldnt fund the new bands to make records, so the whole music industry would crash, as its only the very big bands who can do it all themselves on a big scale, i understand people still need to make money, be it record companies, apple, artists, its just that i feel dropping the price of albums tenfold, would quite likely increase the downloads on itunes a similar amount. if albums where a pound a piece of under, id be buying 20 albums a month no sweat on there, wich is £20 more than anyones getting at the moment.people who buy a song every couple of days, will just buy an album every couple of days. by offering the album download for the price of a song download, and not offering song downloads, no ones going to be buying any less, theyll be buying more.

other option would of course be, apple let you buy membership for £50 a year or whatever, and you can download what you want with that money. make it an alternative to rapidshare.

yea, but then if the record companies wernt making the money, they couldnt fund the new bands to make records, so the whole music industry would crash, as its only the very big bands who can do it all themselves on a big scale

Well, that's just wrong. There are plenty of UK bands who were very well known, on a big scale, before the record companies got close to them. Mainly because, to get signed you have to have a big fan base, your album ready, artwork, street team, all ready to go.

Also - they earn more than enough money. And although they blame illegal downloading for a sufficient cause of lack of money, it's their fault. They had a chance to stop things like napster when it started, but they didn't. And yes, "pirate music" has been around for years, even since the two track tape players, it's never affected them that much.

We had a masterclass with Pete Waterman on Monday, and he basically said, it's the industries fault it's crashing. They didn't spend wisely on bands in the past. They wasted money...

Anyone remember the days of the big 9 companies, now only 4/5. Soon EMI will be gone, even if it's just been bought for a huge amount of money.

All in all, the markets are crashing... lol

f**k laws!

laws are there to be broken, you know as soon as it becomes illegal its going to boom!

long live limewire, phazeddl, and all the illegal downloading sites.

www.i should know that if I post links to warez I will get suspended for at least 1 day.com

go download my friends!!!

Edited by tomturd

Theres also the side to downloading that is legal, for example if you already own a song (say a single on CD, ready payed for), its not illegal to download from say Limewire, as you have already own it.

not true in the case of music/films etc. Making a backup copy for your own purposes is also technically illegal.

true for software -as long as you have a legit license that covers you for whichever machines you're using it on

on the other hand - the legislation is bollocks. It's unworkable and they won't do it

there's also the problem of forcing everyone to use Wireless Protection, if they do warn you for downloading something illegal its no hard to say it wasn't you, could of been your neighbour logging onto your wireless. May sound sad, but I'm quite looking forward to them enforcing it. They're losing the battle an there's nothing they can do about it, except to try an scare you off.

You can't make downloading a file illegal, as any ISP of a decent size would either have to go through a LOT of hoops trying to identify if 'My Humps.mp3' is a copyrighted version, a cover version, or something else entirely.

However, ISPs can stop Limewire, Torrents and any other protocol based application working. Some already do, while others shape traffic based on time.

it's basically impossible to police because how do you know who is on the computer at that time, if they are over a certain age then they'll be responsible for there own content surely so how can you ban the person whos name the isp has. it's like sending 2 identical twins to jail because neither will own up to commiting a crime which one of them did.

surely theres some data protection act that can stop them monitoring your actual "data packets". sure they can watch your usage go up but they cant link it to anything?

big ISP's would have to spend thousands getting software \ hardware that could monitor each user they have - then log it - and inform them if its illegeal downloading?

it's basically impossible to police because how do you know who is on the computer at that time, if they are over a certain age then they'll be responsible for there own content surely so how can you ban the person whos name the isp has. it's like sending 2 identical twins to jail because neither will own up to commiting a crime which one of them did.

It'll be whoever signed the contract and whoever pays the bill for the connection. They are responsible for that connection and could secure it accordingly. This will be a problem with people not securing Wireless networks...I'm sure most of us have had a laptop in the car and searched for networks out of curiosity...it amazing how many people don't have a clue about security.

These are the same people who will become innocent victims to such crimes; most already are.

Out of all the things I've downloaded before, I've always gone out and bought it a few days/weeks later. Simply because the quality is utter shit...out of time with the sound, bad picture quality or simply because it didn't work.

I don't think producers and 'the law' is out to get the 2 downloads a month crowd; its more aimed at the people downloading 10 albums a day and then selling them on the streets.

(On another note, has anyone seen The IT Crowd where they see that Anti-Piracy advert in the cinema...) Video Link

Its funny though, the internet...an 'invisable' object made up of code...is more powerful than any government or authority put together.

Edited by anzo

Wooo 3 strikes!! f**king hell don't push it!

I heard on the radio it will be:

1. You get a strongly worded email.
  2. You get a short suspension.
  3. You get banned.

I think I would stop after the email, but even if you go upto the ban, all this would do is encourage me to download stuff, being suspended from the internet is barely a slap on the wrist.

And then what, a criminal record maybe? That's all I would give a shit about.

You'd get off free. It'd be your dad/mum or whoever pays the bill that gets f**ked for it.

What about using a laptop and connecting to the wireless network at college? I suppose your ISP would still show up.

I cba with it all, I have downloaded in the past, I do from time to time but there is no real point in downloading music or films, if there is anything worth seeing or listening too my mate's give it to me on a DVD, so whats the point in risking it.

Meh, if I do end up doing it again, and I get the email, then I'll never do it again.

What about using a laptop and connecting to the wireless network at college? I suppose your ISP would still show up.

Then it would be your colleges problem; and rightly so if their network management was so bad that they allowed users to do it in the first place :)

Then it would be your colleges problem; and rightly so if their network management was so bad that they allowed users to do it in the first place :)

I'm not being funny, but how can anyone block google? If I want an album, all I'll do is type in the Artist, the Album, followed by 'rapidshare' and '.rar' it usually 100% of the time finds the album I'm after an gives me a download link from rapidshare, that's without using any dodgy P2P program or torrent. Sure it can be easy to filter P2P ports, but they can't filter certain terms out of google.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be abit of a media hype to try an scare people out of doing it, in reality it's just not do-able.

I'm not being funny, but how can anyone block google? If I want an album, all I'll do is type in the Artist, the Album, followed by 'rapidshare' and '.rar' it usually 100% of the time finds the album I'm after an gives me a download link from rapidshare, that's without using any dodgy P2P program or torrent. Sure it can be easy to filter P2P ports, but they can't filter certain terms out of google.

Block FTP connections and use a Web Control software to limit HTTP downloads...obviously its difficult to stop, but you prevent downloads using the extensions as keywords (eg. *.exe, *.rar). You can upgrade your security by trying to break it yourself.

And also log user activities to find regular sites and search definitions and block those too if there is a problem.

But obviously...there are ways around such barriers. I think in the circumstances of a college under prosecution of piracy laws, as long as they took measures to try and prevent it, then it would probably be dismissed. Although if they had no measures, it would be classed as negligence and so would face the penalties.

Edited by anzo

I'm pretty sure this is going to be abit of a media hype to try an scare people out of doing it, in reality it's just not do-able.

Filtering search terms actually isn't that hard. They'd just have to filter the word rapidshare and it wouldn't work as well. What you need on google is:

"intitle:index of" metallica .mp3

Searches for any sites with metallica mp3's and lists the files so you can just right click and save as. Found some right random ones that weren't on limewire using that.

Edited by Krisboats

the way i see it possibly working, with regards to rapidshare and the like. rapidshare have an agreement with the isps, that when they find and delete a copyrighted file. its url is noted. and all these urls are freely available to the isp's. and ran against the heavy downloaders(i.e those on bandwidth watch/monitoring/fair usage policies) to see if theyve visited said url. if they have, then a strike can be issued.