F1

Fish-Finger-er

Its not hard to be better than the BBC commentary. Literally love F1 but tempted not to watch it until I get Sky, Coulthard was f**king useless insinuating that Hamilton could have done anything, if he accelerated his rear wheel hit Romains front, he braked and his front his Romains rear. Literally Eddie Jordan and Coulthard can f**k off and die, for 2 people so "in tune" with the sport, they really have no clue. Even Martin Whitmarsh's interview was shockingly bad management.

I noticed, which wasn't actually picked up on by any "analyst" at the BBC that Romain actually turns his head and looks across at Hamilton before he hits him. (which you can see on good quality on-board Hamilton which I cant find a good copy of)

Woah!

I presume all this happened during the Forum?

Slip stream jokes

Oh yea and I think from now on ill follow Paul Diresta.

- Hamilton lied about that over take under yellows and I f**kING hate liars.

- Hamiltons posting shit on Twitter that his team should sack him over - standard

- Hamilton is hated by the FIA and that makes watching him hard.

- Button is the worlds most boring driver.

- Button does dandruff adverts.

So yea Paul for McLaren

Edited by Simpson

Hahaha love it simps.

I follow Hamilton and agree sometimes it can be hard and button does nothing but moan or be boring.

With Ferrari how much would they really gain with the slip stream, always potential for disaster, plus his q2 lap time would have had him sat in third!

In pleased for Paul, I hope he gets a place in a good team next season.

Hamilton IMO is the best driver in F1, but theres always something wrong, either the car, or the setup, or the FIA, or him putting himself in positions on the track when he has no plan B and when the other drivers reactions aren't quick enough, (or too stubborn) they end up colliding. He seems to be getting increasingly frustrated on and off the track and its frustrating supporting someone like that. Apparently he could be moving to Mercedes as well (why?), and has tryed talks with all other teams, TBF he could be a creditable replacement for Massa or Webber but I can't see him working alongside Vettel or Alsonso, (especially considering how fiery Vetel sounds after the race in those pre-awards awkward alone moments together)

Button does dandruff commercials.

Paul seems to have worked hard for where he is, he beat Hamilton in a pre-formula-1-formula, and seems a lot more modest, ie. asking Coultard for tips before race tracks he hasn't raced at before and stuff, (although I wouldn't personally take any tips from that Donkey). He's massively impressing me and needs to get into a better team soon, before he becomes on of those "back of the grid" guys. Main downsides - what type of English name is Di Resta, AND he's Scottish.

Apparently he could be moving to Mercedes as well (why?)

They offered him £20million instead of the £15m he is on now, will allow him personal sponsers and other monetry benefits. He claims he is in f1 purely for the racing but im sure he could be tempted by that.

I think his frustration is because he's not doing as well as he wants, so to move to a "lower" team seems a bit ridic. But I'm always super naive - I think the difference between 15m and 20m is nothing, because you either get paid a shit load - or a shit load.

"Ferrari's Luca di Montezemolo says races should be shortened"

It would certainly be beneficial in terms of saving costs and resources to have shorter races. This would obviously reduce the amount of tyres and fuel used etc.

Taking about a third off the race distance sounds like a good idea to me. Can anyone think of any disadvantages of this? I doubt it will happen any time soon anyway.

Edited by Pete.M

Because all those suggestions are rubbish, I would justify myself but it would turn into a rant. So IMO generally speaking:

-They have already taken out fuelling strategy, if the races were shorter less fuel weight would mean less tyre wear and no need to pit at all and that would mean no strategy.

- The only way to counteract this would be to make even worse tyres than those Pirellis already are, meaning (as is occasionally happening now) the best drivers and cars don't get the best positions because of wear of tyres. IMO their the pinicle of racing... give them the best tyres, not a substandard to make racing "interesting". Making a competitive formula is more the answer.

- Anyone who talks "cost saving and environment" shouldn't watch F1 at all. Its all paid for by sponsors and promotion, if its not financially viable for you to do it... then don't. The amount of new teams show that someone will fill your place. If your care about the environment then your better off trying to ban Hummers and Autobahns.

- Shortening races makes it more commercial yes, but, ticket prices to watch it won't change, your Sky subscription won't change. You get less, if you don't want to watch it all then catch the highlights.

- Gear box's and other components are so reliable now, that making all the races shorter reduces further the risk of failures which makes it less interesting.

Edited by Simpson

Totally against shorter races here too. It's bad enough that we've taken fuel strategy out, but taking the length of the race down to a point where Sauber and Perez couldn't have pulled off what they pulled off yesterday would start to make me feel less bothered about missing a race here and there...

Loved that highspeed pass that Perez, nailed on Alonso, before entering Curva del Vialone chicane. As for the Hamilton debate, he's not leaving the team that brought him into F1, gave a world championship winning car and suppported him with all the costly mistakes he has made as a driver. And with all the rule changes which has changed F1 to the point where no one team is has been completely dominant for a whole season, it would foolish for Hamilton's management team to start spreading silly rumors of leaving to the media and fans.

Simps, faster wearing tyres doesn't mean worse tyres, they could infact be better if that's what they wanted. Good point about strategy, I guess it would reduce the variety between pit stop strategies. I don't agree that good reliability makes it less interesting, I think the races are better when everyone is on the track.

If it reduces the number of different strategies available to the teams then I'm also against it.

Simps, faster wearing tyres doesn't mean worse tyres, they could infact be better if that's what they wanted

Basically Pirelli were set about the task of creating tyres which would make racing more "interesting", they didn't set about making the best possible tyres. Heres 1 link after a quick Google but I'm sure if you spent more than 30 seconds you could find something much more in depth. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17808768

Another link http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/04/pirelli-responds-to-fans-criticism-that-tyres-are-too-big-an-influence-on-racing/

Basically to be good on these tyres - you get out in front early and conserve you tyres effectively, its not good for racing.

Pretty much, with a shorter race for pit stops to even be nessecary the tyres would have to degrade even more heavily because the tyres degrade most heavily at the start of the race with the heavier fuel load.

Picture your on scrubbed tyres, losing 2 seconds a lap. A pit stop takes 20 seconds. If there's only 9 laps left you may as well limp round.

Edited by Simpson

Advising Senna not to race, he added: “In fact, why don’t you give it up altogether? What else do you need to do? You have been world champion three times, you are obviously the quickest driver. Give it up and let’s go fishing”.

Senna’s reply, the last words he spoke to Watkins, was simple: “sidehop, there are certain things over which we have no control. I cannot quit, I have to go on.”

Weird to think of how things played out.

I'd heard of him before, but didn't really know too much about him. Sounds like he's achieved a lot throughout the years in many ways.

A great made who made a real difference, and will no doubt be missed. Hopefully come Singapore they will do something in memory of him and his achievements.

This is well worth a read:

http://www.institutequarterly.com/IQ-ISSUE02-article-03.html

Apparently his books are a great read also, might Amazon them later. While I'm at it watch Senna as well if you haven't seen it...

• 2 weeks later...