F1

Fish-Finger-er

Didn't see the podium, but vettel got totally rammed at the start (twice) and taken out. Most sweary radio call ever... 

Didnt help that it was kvyatt again - so Seb went and had a moan to Horner about it.

Haha, just saw that on FB too.  I'm not entirely convinced by it.  There's a lot of infrastructure they'd need to switch around to make that work, both drivers are pretty set with their engineers/teams and how they operate, they're used to the different systems used, different engine requirements and so on.  I know Kvyat's not done himself many favours but I'd be surprised if Red Bull really did that.  

Just looked into it more and it seems the main source is a story on Motorsport.com, specifically focussing on this paragraph:

However, it has emerged that one idea being evaluated is an immediate seat swap – which would mean Verstappen getting promoted from the Toro Rosso team, with Kvyat moving to Toro Rosso.

This could be for just a single race to allow Kvyat to regain his confidence, or for a longer period of time.

That's a whole load of hypothetical shit, and is also at the end of a section talking about all the different options available to them.

I seem to remember Motorsport.com is owned by Ecclestone or partially by FOM or something like that, so they probably just wanted some fresh interest in the lull between races.

EDIT:  Just found somewhere that said that Verstappen will drive for Red Bull in the test after the race in Barcelona as Red Bull's young/development driver programme.  I guess that's with a view to him changing over eventually, but again, can't see them changing drivers for the race itself.

• Like 1

I heard this tuesday at work regarding verstappen moving up to redbull before the news about it today. Few insiders say its happening but thats all i have heard. If it doesnt happen before spain i think its just a matter of time before it does come.

Edited by greg1040

Yeah, bit of a dick move.  Ben Anderson makes some good points on Autosport though...

I get the distinct impression Max Verstappen's promotion to Red Bull was only a matter of time; it's just that the time has come rather sooner than anyone expected.

Red Bull went to unusual lengths to sign Verstappen in the first place. He got a fixed three-year deal and promotion straight from Formula 3 to F1, rather than having to slog it out on the rest of the junior single-seater ladder.

Mercedes wanted Verstappen too, and Red Bull went the extra mile to get its man. This has arguably given Verstappen more power as a Red Bull driver than is usually the norm.

The Verstappen camp wanted two seasons for Max to hone his craft at STR before using the final year of his deal to gun for glory at RBR.

The fact that Verstappen has shone so far, bagging strong results and showing exceptional racecraft, has only bolstered the impression that his eventual promotion to Red Bull was almost inevitable.

Meanwhile - China podium aside - Daniil Kvyat has endured a difficult start to the season. His qualifying form has been poor, and not easily explained away as a result of technical problems.

His first year at Red Bull also wasn't the smoothest, certainly early on, so you'd have to say if Red Bull was always minded to give Verstappen a shot, it was most likely that Kvyat would make way.

Ultimately you'd have to say it's an unusual step to switch drivers after just four races, but the move potentially accomplishes several important things for Red Bull.

Firstly it gives Red Bull the chance to assess the potential of its most exciting prospect against its most established star, Daniel Ricciardo.

If Verstappen performs, then Red Bull knows it made the right call. If Ricciardo gets the best of Verstappen easily, then perhaps Red Bull won't be so bothered if rival teams come calling.

At the same time it removes an element of serious tension from within Toro Rosso, which we saw blow up briefly in Australia as Verstappen became too focused on outwitting team-mate Carlos Sainz Jr.

Sending Kvyat back there avoids freezing out a driver Helmut Marko rates highly, gives Sainz an established benchmark, and also gives Red Bull's 'junior team' a proven talent (there are no candidates below ready to make the step up yet) to help it score points in what looks to be an extremely close midfield constructors' title battle with Force India, McLaren and Haas.

For the Red Bull group this is probably a win-win; for Kvyat this is certainly not the right move, but all he can do is make the best of it and wait to see if Verstappen proves to be the real deal, or a flash in the pan.

I think Red Bull were just looking for an excuse to put Max Into the Red Bull team as they dont want to loose him To Ferrari when his contracts up. Putting him up early and showing faith in him may just get him to re sign after 2017.

They cant get rid of Kyvet as they are running out of drivers! They used to have loads of drivers in the Red Bull Academy but they had a big clear out last year and also had drivers leave so the ladder to f1 is a bit bare now, the drivers that they have got are nowhere near ready for a F1 driver yet.

Still all a bit weird!

As people have been saying, I guess they get to see if Verstappen's as good as people think he is if he's up against proven competition like Ricciardo.  Similarly, they get to see if Kvyat can get his shit together, and whether Sainz can deal with him or not, so it could work out OK-ish for everyone (apart from Kvyat, who is basically f**ked now).

People were making the valid point though that that podium was kind of fortuitous - he was nowhere in qualifying and his race pace wasn't great.  Ricciardo got a flat and lost a shitload of time but ended the race pretty close to Kvyat.  Not saying he's not good or anything because he seems decent, but he wasn't doing as well as it might appear.

The thing with Toro Rosso is that they're only ever going to slip back this season.  As the only people using a 2015 engine, everyone else is just going to have engine development to move them ahead whereas with Toro Rosso it's just aero and chassis tweaks, neither of which are going to have much scope to give them the same chunk of lap time that just bolting on some more horsepower will do.

Guess it will be interesting to see how well both Verstappen, and Kvyat, adapt to their switch of driver's seats this weekend, without taking their respective race engineers with them..

Torro Rosso cars faster than RedBull in 2nd practice session.

Edited by Rusevelt

Well looks like the switch for max was a gd 1 going from his qualifying hes certainly adapted to the car well i thought he was gonna pip his team mate today. See how the stratagies work out tomorrow. If i remeber hearing correctly only the mercedes and max managed 1.26 on the medium tyres. Kyvat didnt seem pleased with the teams decision to send him out again in q1 was it.

But yeh your right mark we have alot of work coming through at the moment which seems like aero changes. The new factory is still having work done on it also.

34 minutes ago, Duncy H said:

That Fire Marshall, talk about pissing in the wind :lol:.

Yeah, properly f**ked the other marshall with that - raging.

Interesting race though.  No idea what Red Bull are doing with Ricciardo.  Those tyres aren't making it to the end, and he's 2secs a lap slower...

EDIT:  Timing - in for Mediums.  Again, no idea why they've done that...