Why Inches?

PaRtZ

How come, living in the metric system, we measure taps + sidehops and gaps etc in inches? How come not metres?

I mean, I know theres machinsts on here who live in metric for their job so they're probably so used to it. Just seems a bit odd. Anyway what are your thoughts?

We don't really live in the metric system. We buy food in kgs because we have to (Even though everyone would prefer lbs), we buy 25ml shots of vodka but if you buy beer it comes in pints. We measure distances in metres, unless it's a long way when we use miles (certainly not kilometres). Cars have engine sizes measured in litres, but the speedo is in miles. I could carry on. It makes no sense!

But it's England, it doesn't have to make sense :P

Becuase if you forget a tape measure you can use your penis as a rough guage.

Yeah that way if my tap is twice as high as my chong i know ive broken 24 inches.

Nices Mr. Simpson, though i usually measure from the nipple, its more practical.

Because measuring in metres is so impractical. It wouldn't really make sense until you could do at least 1 metre. And whats that like 3.89009343568423048320 feet and a half sack of pepsi? Metres are a terrible way of measuring something this small.

Because measuring in metres is so impractical. It wouldn't really make sense until you could do at least 1 metre. And whats that like 3.89009343568423048320 feet and a half sack of pepsi? Metres are a terrible way of measuring something this small.

erm cm?

Thought it was closer to 3.3 feet, but you know, 100cm works.

Oh and Mat, imagine it in Europe, where they say that a tap/hook whatever is 1.45m, not 57 inches

Edited by JonMack

and cm are too small if you ask me. But I live in canada and we mostly use inches here. I guess its a toss up, some people like cm but I much prefer inches. I think I'm a little biased since I play warhammer

and cm are too small if you ask me. But I live in canada and we mostly use inches here. I guess its a toss up, some people like cm but I much prefer inches. I think I'm a little biased since I play warhammer

well that just says it all.........

To be honest I'm happy switching between both. When designing something or at work I always use mm/m's. However, if I need someone to cut something down or a rough idea of what's required I'll occasionally jump in to inches. And anything bike related is always inches... unless it's stem bar clamp size or BB axle width etc... Nothing wrong with chopping and changing!

And anything bike related is always inches... unless it's stem bar clamp size or BB axle width etc... Nothing wrong with chopping and changing!

Yeah, you buy a 26" frame with a 1080 wheelbase. It makes no sense!

Partz, using inches in the UK is ok but how gay are riders from Europe who measure sidehops in inches because they think it's cool.
Haha, that's pretty funny.

well that just says it all.........

Fantasy, not 40K. Go ahead and make the stereotypical assumptions. I do a lot of fun things. Some even you would find cool or ace or king or whatever term you guys use. I play guitar, I ride, I compose my own music and I practice Mixed Martial Arts. Please, don't assume that since every once in a while I like to paint a few models and even less frequently play a game or two with some friends that I'm whatever the hell you're assuming I am. Thats pretty ignorant.

To confuse the matter further...

Generally MTB frames are measured in inches and road frames are measured in cm (not an SI unit).

"Unlike the majority of goods, which have to be served in metric quantities to comply with European regulations, drinks poured from a pump must still be in imperial measures" (taken from BBC news page)