Why Inches?

PaRtZ

Fantasy, not 40K. Go ahead and make the stereotypical assumptions. I do a lot of fun things. Some even you would find cool or ace or king or whatever term you guys use. I play guitar, I ride, I compose my own music and I practice Mixed Martial Arts. Please, don't assume that since every once in a while I like to paint a few models and even less frequently play a game or two with some friends that I'm whatever the hell you're assuming I am. Thats pretty ignorant.

dont assume i was being serious and make even more of an arse of yourself, it was a joke, a bit of banter, sarcastic rhetoric.

dont get pretentious, delusions of granduer are'nt pretty.

AS well, why does playing with toy soldiers make a difference to how your measure things? :P

Warhammer/40k is an english game and all measurements are taken in imperial :)

I work in metric 95% of the time but once in a while I have to convert an imperial drawing to metric, this is why I know most of the major imperial sizes as a metric conversion. On an odd note imperial micrometers confuse the f**k out of me where as Im fine with a metric one - I can read them, it just takes me twice as long to be certain Im reading the measurement I think Im reading :D

Centimeters are the devil spawn and should be illegal :D :D :D

Centimeters are the devil spawn and should be illegal :D :D :D

Centimetres don't exist. They were promoted to make metric easy for children and numptys :P Just shows how scientific and impractical metric is.

personally i find inches better as i can relate it back to my hieght.. say a 40 inch tap and im 5 ft 10 or 70 inchs which means i can like relate back to my height and generally you measure height in inchs... also with gaps inchs is good as if ou dont have a tape measure you can just walk it out foot by foot as i know my shoe is around 12" so therefore i can ruffly work out the distance... just easyer to guess i guess :)

Centimetres don't exist. They were promoted to make metric easy for children and numptys :P Just shows how scientific and impractical metric is.

Exactly :)

Think the last time I measured anythin in cm was about 18-20 years ago :D

Edited by forteh

Partz, using inches in the UK is ok but how gay are riders from Europe who measure sidehops in inches because they think it's cool.

I measure sidehops in inches because I can relate my wheel size to the wall i'm sidehopping on...

Use metres and centimeters for everything else

I measure sidehops in inches because I can relate my wheel size to the wall i'm sidehopping on...

Use metres and centimeters for everything else

Yeah but a mod wheel is pretty much bang on 50cm, so it doesn't really matter in your case :)

As an example, I recently saw a similar display name on a MSN-like service from a local rider - sidehop 116cm (55")

Whatever makes him feel good I guess :P

Fantasy, not 40K. Go ahead and make the stereotypical assumptions. I do a lot of fun things. Some even you would find cool or ace or king or whatever term you guys use. I play guitar, I ride, I compose my own music and I practice Mixed Martial Arts. Please, don't assume that since every once in a while I like to paint a few models and even less frequently play a game or two with some friends that I'm whatever the hell you're assuming I am. Thats pretty ignorant.

Dude, you're the one who brought up the fact you 'play', knowing what the stereotype is and even playing on it so don't come back and shoot your mouth off when someone follows it up. That's pretty stupid.

Anyway, I'm fully behind making centimetre's illegal... One of our group members in my final year project of my MEng used to quote things in cm's and was the joke of the department! However, we managed to give him a bit of a mental breakdown during that year and he never finished as far as we know :giggle: serves him right for using centimetres.

Anyway, I'm fully behind making centimetre's illegal... One of our group members in my final year project of my MEng used to quote things in cm's and was the joke of the department! However, we managed to give him a bit of a mental breakdown during that year and he never finished as far as we know :giggle: serves him right for using centimetres.

LMFAO :D

Whoa, whats the abreviation for that type of measurement?

I believe its a metre ;)

Whoa, whats the abreviation for that type of measurement?

It's the original meter.

However, the new definition is: 1/299,792,458 light seconds. I.e. the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458 seconds. But I haven't yet fully embraced that definition and am thus sticking to the old one.

Btw. there's a really good book about how they worked to define the first meter...can't remember the title though.

because you can round higher with inches :P

Besides that, imagine you just hopped up say 30 inches after a few attempts. You are happy for the day, and tomorrow you would try to hop up higher, so you increase it by an inch or two.

Now imagine it's in cm. Increasing the hop by a cm is ridiculous. I rather increase the hops by an inch, which is 2.54cm, the increment is more, and makes you improve more. lol.

It's all nonsense actually.

Btw. there's a really good book about how they worked to define the first meter...can't remember the title though.

Sounds simply thrilling!

I think that inches is a good way to measure,

Due to the fact we can relate it to our height.

But why we don't measure height in metres is beyond me.

:)

I live in norway, and we use only mm,cm,m,km.... for measuring lenght / hight...

in weight, we use hg,kg,t

Anyway i work at Dunlop Hiflex.... we make hydraulic hoses and stuff...

EVERYTHING is measured in inches.... altho we are slowly converting to mm....

i belive we stopped using inches in year 1800 something.... weird that its still going... :)

Edited by t33zr

Because saying that you tapped/sideyed 50" sounds much much bigger than saying that you tapped/sideyed 0.bla bla meters.

Regardless of the point that Benjaminge made, that's only because you understand inches and you're used to them.