24" Bikes, Not Mod........not Stock

echo_rob

cheers for that yeah mate, thats really nice yeh?

anyway, I only posted this topic because there really isn't a name, and there needs to be one???

thanks

rob

Why? Mod and stock sound gay anyway, and are relics from when trials first started. There doesn't HAVE to be a name, nobody cares.

It literally did just mean modified bikes, not modified BMXs. Like Hans Rey's old Schwinn, where it'd been adapted to ride trials. They were 'modified' 'cos they had a bash guard and shit like that.

but then why arnt 26" bikes called mods?

if hans ray as a modified bike, which is 26"

I thought it was 'cause of the modified wheelbase?

In what way is (or can) the wheelbase of a 20" modified?!

but then why arnt 26" bikes called mods?

if hans ray as a modified bike, which is 26"

Because 26" bikes are supposed to be mountain bikes, with gears and seats and stuff. Only modifications that used to be carried out really were the addition of a bashring (bashguards being against the rules in competitions). 20" bikes have always been allowed to use funny sized rim sizes (19" on the rear), be singlespeed, use proper bash guards etc hence being 'modified' and therefore 'mods.'

Hans Rey still rides what I'd call a proper mountainbike/26" trials bike. He runs like a 16" frame with suspension forks and the only trials modification he uses is a bashring.

You are close but still slightly off. The name mod does refer to modified, but it was not through the addition of bash rings etc... It is through adding gussetes to strengthen the frame (sometimes changing head angle, etc...) to make the bikes capable of doing trials riding. Don't forget bike trials along with bmx was originally a way to allow children to ride like their motorbike heroes.

But pretty much everyone started out on mountain bikes anyway, so that wouldn't have happened till later.

Do you mean pretty much everyone on the forum or pretty much everyone in trials back in the late 70's/80's? If it's the latter then I think you'll find that the first biketrials bikes were 20" wheel jobbies made for Ot Pi...

Do you mean pretty much everyone on the forum or pretty much everyone in trials back in the late 70's/80's? If it's the latter then I think you'll find that the first biketrials bikes were 20" wheel jobbies made for Ot Pi...

I meant stock-wise for most peoples first bikes. Was refering to the guy asking why 26" aren't called mods and the guy who replyed to that but forgot to put the quote bit in.

Edited by Bob Fossil