Steel Trials Frames, Good Or Bad? (and Who Makes Them)

edmondraptor

After noticing small cracks starting to form on the seat stay/seat tube joins on my ally TA26 frame, I'm thinking maybe when it's completely knackered I'll go for a steel frame like the Revell Stock or something like that. I'm under the impression that steel flexes more than aluminium so it cracks less readily and isn't so badly damaged by dents and the like, but is the added flexyness bad for trials, and will it really be more resistant to cracking? What other companies make a steel trials frame that doesn't cost a ton? A seat would be pretty awesome but not a must.

Also on the geo of the Revell :

- Reach of 25.1" (from centre of BB shell to centre top of head tube).

- Chainstay length adjustable from 390mm to 410mm, by using the integrated chain tugs/mech hanger included with the frame. If using a rear disc brake, rear end length is set at 400mm.

- Wheelbase ranging from 1015mm to 1035mm due to the horizontal dropouts (measured with Echo Urban forks).)

I've read some people saying that it's mega short compared to other frames (a full two inches shorter reach than even my Base, but 10 mm longer stays) But what would this mean in real life terms of bike handling? I've really not ridden any other trials bikes apart from my own so I dont know the advantages of long/short whatever, but I run a pretty short (70 mm) stem and flat bars and would aspire to a Chris Akrigg-y style of riding (If I was a lot better anyway). Any opinions on it? Would really apreciate anyone's input since I'll need a new frame soon when I snap the back end off this one.

Steel frame are the best to ride, the slight flex stops the instant impact that you get with alu and stops all the cracking sounds you get on really harsh landings. Also if you crack it, it is easily rewelded.

400mm stays will be horrible, seriously, you'd have more fun puking on yourself.

Would it make it harder to get on/stay on the back wheel? I can't see it as being totally awful as some pro guy uses it according to tarty. That norco Moment or the new Manifesto looks sweet but seems to only be available in Canada :(

Having ridden a revel Im gunna say, DONT GET ONE. They are actually horrible. Bleaurgghhhhhhh :)

You could always get another base? They improved the design as alot of those frames went there i belive. Plus the ta26 is currently £99 from tarty bikes which is a great deal, also the base's geo. is very suited to the type of riding your after...

OR get a leeson/other 24" bike Leesons are steel and if you break them they will repair it for you (they make a 26" frame aswell) Or other 24" bikes like an inspired which are cheaper than the leeson... However this would mean new rims... But again these bikes are great for the more streety style you aspire to ride, and from what I hear the inspireds are also very nice to ride for "real" trials.

Yeah to be fair I could buy two spare Bases for the price of a Revell just now. It's the newer Base I have now though I think, just got it before christmas, the £99 one. On another note, when out riding today my freehub began to be less than free, and when I took it apart now I saw that two of the bearings have disintegrated, and one of the pawl springs has snapped! Crap crap crap! Damn Pro2 Trials, only had it a few months, less even. I am discovering that trials is tough on your bike and parts.... Edit: those megamos look great but they'll probably cost a shedload being so rare...anyone got one though?

Edited by edmondraptor

you guys are proper spesh sometimes

revell frames are fine, ride pretty damn well actually, they are based on leesons so ride fairly similarly, very, very spinny little beasts and ive seen them being absolutely beasting through sections.

you guys are proper spesh sometimes

revell frames are fine, ride pretty damn well actually, they are based on leesons so ride fairly similarly, very, very spinny little beasts and ive seen them being absolutely beasting through sections.

i bum chris doney like a bitch

Tim Steadman was riding a long wheel base pashley in fort bill this weekend. I didnt get a shot, but it helped tim to a win in his category.

More to the point it was orange.

yum :) is there any idea if they are going to produce them? as i lvoed my ghz and wouldnt mind another slightly longer one.

www.marinobike.com (made is Peru)

He makes custom steel frames for really cheap (80 U.S. dollars).

I have one and it is on the heavier side but rides really nice and Marino is a great person to deal with.

Did anyone ever buy one of those frames?