How To Ride With "deng" Forks?

petar@sbcycles

I don`t make a joke... Really how you ride with "Deng" fork? Before 10 days i bought Avid BB7 2008 with 203mm rotor and Echo Control 08(like old 07 hi-fi) and yesterday i saw that the fork is snapped on the top of the mount.Just for 10 days! Before these fork i change 4 forks Echo Urban for 5 months. Once i ride with Magura and the others with v-brake.This one with magura snapped at the mounts too, but the other on the top of the fork.

I know that animals like Tunnicliffe and Watson broke forks "every day" :D but i can`t ride HALF as much their riding.

How to make the front of my bike strong with good brake?

/sorry for my english, hope you understand me/

Thanks

Diverse

Sbcycles

Sounds like bad luck to me, those forks are normally very strong. As has been said in another topic recently, it is the consensus that Zoo! forks seem to be the strongest out of Deng's range, however Viz/Atomz forks seem to last people longer. I have known 2 sets of Viz forks to bend slightly though...

Edit: I've seen worse English! Good try, at least its legible.

Edited by Quackers!!

I think that if i stop making hook, urban with v-brake will be good.Because most of urbans i broke on hook up. See Damon Watson- he avoid the hooks(there is only one huge on video 7) like Neils, but again i don`t know how time he ride one urban fork. And i saw other thing- Neil stop dying fronts gap at all and i think that is exactly for this he is with disk and the fork can`t take the load. :ermm:

Edited by Diverse

I've never seen you ride, so can't comment specifically, but a huge amount of riders manage to hook and gap to front repeatedly with no real issues

Perhaps it would help to look at your technique and riding style to try and put less force onto the forks so they don't break so frequently?

Obviously if you're smooth as a baby's bum that's not possible, but Smooth riding generally tends to significantly increase the lifespan of parts :)

Some people still don't seem to grasp the fact that old Deng forks made out of U6 were far stronger than the current ones, which are all made out of low grade Alu (7005 or 6061?). I've broken 4 or 5 sets of the old forks with the thinner steerer, but they all lasted at least 6 months. I'm a lot smoother than I used to be now but I've gotten through 4 sets of the new forks (Urbans and Zoos). They all cracked on the disc mount in a matter of weeks. I use a 185mm BB7, and I used to use a 203mm on the old style forks without any disc mount problems...

If you ride hard then avoid Deng forks! Hopefully the Trialtech ones will be stronger...

The only thing that makes almost all forks currently on the market "trials specific" is cosmetic. Having said that, there are a couple things that spell early death for any forks.

Hook/splatter/japzap up moves

landing flat

It only takes a couple really goofed times with those moves that will seriously compromise any fork........any material. The sort of stresses these moves inflict upon a fork........well, they were not designed for it. Therefore, it is a bit difficult to determine which fork is "the best" as reason for failure is rarely determined with any accuracy.

there are a couple things that spell early death for any forks.

Hook/splatter/japzap up moves

landing flat

It only takes a couple really goofed times with those moves that will seriously compromise any fork........any material

You say that, but certain forks definitely stand up better to those moves than others. I used to hook often and hard, using speed and brute force to get up walls. I snapped 3 sets of Urbans and 2 sets of Hi-Fis (pre '07, U6 with thinner steerer) which all lasted between 6-9 months depending how often/hard I rode. Every set snapped at the steerer, I never had any disc mount failures.

I've now snapped 3 sets of the new Urbans and 1 set of Zoos ('07 onwards with thicker steerer,non U6?). All have broken on the disc mount, all have broken after about 6 weeks of riding. I don't hook as often as I used to, I'd like to think I'm a smoother and more refined rider and I tend to practice pedal hooks more often than bunnyhooks. I was led to believe that the newer forks have thicker steerers and disc mounts with the same legs, they certainly look identical from the outside. If this is the case then the most likely cause of failure would be either the disc mount is too stiff causing a stress riser or the legs are made from a weaker material.

I suggested the change in material was the cause as others have said they are made from a different Alu, and from my experience forks and frames made out of U6 usually take a tonne of abuse before failure compared to similar products made from 6061/7005. All of this is of course just conjecture, but then with so few facts provided about different products it's all we have to go on. Does anybody actually know what alloy U6 is and its material properties? As ever for the consumer, real facts are sparse if they exist at all. We have to base our choices on hype and hearsay and just hope products have actually been tested properly...

But having said all that, I still firmly believe that the new Deng forks are significantly weaker than older versions. If I had broken 1 or 2 sets then I wouldn't bother saying anything, but the number I have broken with almost identical lifespans has definitely made my mind up...

On the subject of making forks more trials specific, you only have to look to the MTB and even road bike world for ideas.

A through axle is the first obvious move, I think it would be ideal for trials. The new 15mm bolt-through looks like a well thought out design and certainly feels stiff in use.

A 1.5" steerer could be made stronger and stiffer than current set-ups, and would provide greater surface area for the legs to be welded onto. It would also mean the legs wouldn't have to come in as far to meet the steerer and could be straighter. You could even have an externally tapered 1.5" to 1,1/8" steerer, which would allow people to use the same stem.

Also the disc calliper/fork disc mount could be completely redesigned. I think even switching to post mount forks/brakes could provide a quick and easy improvement, compared to using less than ideal IS disc adaptors.

If only there was more money in trials then we might get some decent product development...

If it snapped within 10 days of riding use then it is a defect fork. having said that, i doubt it would last very long if your using a 203mm/8in rotor. lets not forget how many forks are churned out within the deng factory, not all of them will be 100% defect free. with regard to the 1.5in steerer tube idea, that was already tried by Mission Cycles with their Reefer 20 & 26in bikes. not everyone within the bike industry was ready to embrace 1.5in except Chris King, Manitou forks, Orange bikes, and Cannondale bikes. everyone else said (N) to the idea.

Edited by Rusevelt