The End Of Mod Bikes As We Know Them?

Alex Dark

Click here for the link to the actual story ;) - http://www.thecomeupboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33936

I'll edit once I've read it...

EDIT: Surely they wouldn't need to test aluminium frames, etc for lead? I thought they'd just want to test the steel products...

Edited by Dan6061

They're not testing the frame material as far as I can see - they're worried about the paint having lead and other poisonous stuff in it. Justifiably based on the number of scandals involving products from China particularly which were found to contain poisons and were shipped with the knowledge of the company making them because they couldn't care less. It would be hard to argue that this reaction isn't justified. What irritates me more is that it's not just a blanket law - I'd rather not have my 'adult' bike covered in lead based paint either.

The question for most people on this forum is whether the EU will apply the same rules...

FBM posted a pretty good summary of how it's not reeeeally going to make much impact - trials and BMX frames are probably pretty low down the list of things they'd be checking, as they're more likely to check smaller toys/goods that are bought for children. There's also a fairly small amount of people involved in checking the products, and as a result, that reduces the chance again of them 'finding' un-tested trials frames. So yeah, I doubt it'll really have that much of an impact, depending on what manufacturers decide to do...

EDIT: Quote from FBM.

Who knows? Maybe there are hordes of giant babies whose only nourishment is BMX frames.

If you're the type of person that pays attention, you'd think the world was going to end soon, like Monday. There's lots of hype and hoopla over the new testing measures that the CPSC is going to force companies that make "toy" bikes adhere to. I'm not sure who or what to believe at this point. I was in Taiwan right after the big time bike makers caught wind of the testing, and people were shitting bricks. My opinion is BMX bikes will be way down the list of toys and things that Timmy and Tammy the toddlers can put entirely in their mouth in one gulp will be at the top of the list. And, the CPSC will have very little budget and minimal man power to implement the tests anyways, putting BMX toys even further down the list. But my opinion doesn't matter or count. There are some upsides to living and working in such a depressed and downtrodden town, the people in Binghamton haven't noticed a thing. This place has sucked for the last twenty years in the sustainable growth department. Eh, whatever, we're still moving and shaking around here.

The question for most people on this forum is whether the EU will apply the same rules...

How many bike companies are there that are based in the EU, make their stuff in the East, and only sell their products in the EU? All the major bike brands would still need to get all their product checked if they were going to sell to the rest of the world too...

They're not testing the frame material as far as I can see - they're worried about the paint having lead and other poisonous stuff in it. Justifiably based on the number of scandals involving products from China particularly which were found to contain poisons and were shipped with the knowledge of the company making them because they couldn't care less. It would be hard to argue that this reaction isn't justified. What irritates me more is that it's not just a blanket law - I'd rather not have my 'adult' bike covered in lead based paint either.

I refuse to ride a stock!

If it's just the paint, sell us unpainted frames, I'll spray it myself!

I think this is a very serious problem to cope with. I didn't expect this from Obama.

The thing is that I don't think Mod is really a kid's bike. I mean, try to put a 5 y.o. child on a mod and see how it looks. He won't be able to pedal properly.

On the other side, Monty and Koxx have special Kid's line, which can really suffer.

Anyway, whatever happens, I will ride mod.

Edited by Dan S

not the governments problem though really

The government make the rules as to what can and can't be sold in the country and thanks to VAT, everything sold in the country generates profit for the government, so they implicitly have a level of responsibility for dangerous products sold within the country. Since the lawyers doing the suing see the government as a bottomless moneypit to take from, it's cheaper to close the door on the problem in a preemptive fashion than wait for the frivolous/not so frivolous law suits to come in...

The thing is that I don't think Mod is really a kid's bike. I mean, try to put a 5 y.o. child on a mod and see how it looks. He won't be able to pedal properly.

That's exactly my thought. But if this legislation really hits the BMX/Trials bike market which I doubt, certifying agencies won't look at how comfortable/uncomfortable a bike is to ride. If it has 20" wheels, it is going to be classed as a kids bike.

That's because you're not a child, and you aren't tempted to put things in your mouth.

Or maybe you are, but that's not really the point.

Either way - it's all designed to help protect children, which is why it's applicable to 'childrens bikes', pretty much.

Talking specifically about lead, it's generally not that harmful while working as paint unless you ingest it in large quantities (Or have a small body mass - children meet both these requirements), but when the painted item ends up in landfill, a lot of that lead can potentially leach out into the general environment, especially groundwater if it's an old or badly run landfill site. It's for this reason that lead based materials have been completely removed from mass produced electronics (Google RoHS for more on this). Given that lead is still used in roofing though, I wonder how much ends up in groundwater from that source...

That's because you're not a child, and you aren't tempted to put things in your mouth.

Or maybe you are, but that's not really the point.

Either way - it's all designed to help protect children, which is why it's applicable to 'childrens bikes', pretty much.

I must admit, I'd be tempted by and Ozonys XR26, but other than that I can't see it happening.

If I managed to someone eat all the paint from a lead coated from an Ozonys, would I die?