Inspiration For Riding Alone

JonMack

I don't ride on my own much, maybe once or twice a week, but when I do go, I find myself bored within about an hour and find it really hard to push myself to do stuff, has anyone got any ideas or tips to help me keep my inspiration? I've tried listening to music but I like to listen to my bike while I ride, so that doesn't help really, so any ideas?

I have the same problem sometimes as there are very few riders where I live and the few that there are go through phases of riding and not bothering. I can’t really listen to music continuously when I ride because it effects my concentration and, like you, I like to listen to my bike. I’ve found a good way of staying motivated is to watch a few good bike videos beforehand and then set a fairly ridiculous target or two to conquer for the ride. I find that when I’m messing about in between attempting (and usually failing) ridiculousness, I make the most ground doing and learning other stuff, and in turn stay motivated and inspired regardless of whether I hit the targets that I set out to do in the first place.

Yeah, at the moment I'm only working 2 days a week, so I have very little to do in the day time, my riding friends usually work until 5/6ish, and as it's so sunny I like to get out on my bike as much as I can, at the moment I'm riding pallets, and I seem to have hit a bit of a block at 5 pallets, I can do stuff on 4 easily, but then there's such a big difference between 4 and 5 that I rarely make stuff on 5.

Muel that's a good idea, might try that.

I've been out a few times on my own and I do get bored. But I don't go home until I get something done, wether its just a gap or getting onto a wall. Once I get it done I'll be like 'F**ck yeah!", then I head home feeling good :)

Some other times I keep thinking if some of these kids can do it why can't I? That keeps me riding too.

My worry with riding solo is the increased risk when something goes wrong. It's always nice to know somebody is available to call an ambulance if the worst happens. There's loads of tech stuff that's not that risky for pacticing on solo rides - repetition is the main way I make progress riding trials. It's nice to see a video showing that aspect of riding. It's more interesting in many ways than watching the pros do huge stuff and get it perfect all the time as I can learn from this :P.

ahh i ride on my own all the time, everyone in my area has quit... i just listen to music quietly so i can still hear my brakes and stuff and just constantly learning new stuff, like very unlike me.. iv learnt frenchies, bunny hops, bunnyhop hooks, manual to frenchie manual to bunnyhop manual etc... so much fun :) then i try it on diff stuff.. and keep riding diff spots and do like anything u can think of, be creativ.. nobidy is about that u might look stupid infront off so who cares... :P

camera does help aswel to make you want to go bigger

This is why you're coming out on Sunday! No more riding alone, for a day.

I never ride on my own, always get my bmx mates out. We're always thinking up lines for eachother, which is good as we look at stuff from different perspectives. Skater's actually help too!

I clicked 'reply' to this thread about an hour and a half to two hours ago, just before I went out for a ride. Long story short; internet connection taking time, lack of patience, went riding.

Found some amazing street not too far from here (Found two other cool spots that I didn't pap, and a few others that I'd ridden aaaaaaages ago that I hadn't shot a photo of either):

post-91-1237510130_thumb.jpg

post-91-1237510173_thumb.jpg

post-91-1237510189_thumb.jpg

post-91-1237510193_thumb.jpg

post-91-1237510197_thumb.jpg

post-91-1237510105_thumb.jpg

That was all just from going out, taking random turns and just exploring, which is what late night rides are all about. f**k just nibbling your local spots - go out and check everywhere out, there's so much awesome shit you can come across. Just dip into estates and into parks and stuff like that, you never know what you might find. Seeing as everyone's all into making webvideos now as well, it adds the b onus factor of being able to find spots that you won't have filmed at before, and that other people might not have found before. It's pretty much a totally win-win situation, plus it's fun to just go out and ride your bike with some music on and just chill out.

EDIT: Just did a quick GoogleMaps check and I rode about 12-15miles. Have that, you fixie riding "Oh, I'm so proud of myself for breaking into double figures!" bastards :P

A camera is a big help to riding, whether its alone or with mates.

Purely because it pushes you to go bigger (If you stack when trying to go bigger, then no worries its all on camera, and if you make it you've got it on camera).

Best thing to think about riding alone is lines and style.

About a 5-10minute ride from my house is some rocks outside a shopping centre, I must have riden these in sheer boredom hundreds of times and can do just about any move on any rock (up to fronts, taps, static hops, sides to rear, you name it).

But recently I've done different things whenever I've gone there (such as doing a line of rocks, getting onto one rock getting off and then onto the next rock).

I assume you've heard of Ryan Leech's Manifesto style? Riding without excessive hops, or set-up hops.

After that I think of the smoothest way I can tackle a line (granted its not as smooth as some people but its practice).

From being smooth I delve into trying to ride without brakes (at least landing brakeless etc).

Just look at the different styles about be it; street, competition, or a street beast.

I try to incorporate every different style of riding into my own (emphasis on the word try :P )

unfortunatly for me theres nothing to ride unless i go to town, which is like a 30minute ride which i realy cant be bothered with.

same here, got benches and curbs!

I clicked 'reply' to this thread about an hour and a half to two hours ago, just before I went out for a ride. Long story short; internet connection taking time, lack of patience, went riding.

Found some amazing street not too far from here (Found two other cool spots that I didn't pap, and a few others that I'd ridden aaaaaaages ago that I hadn't shot a photo of either):

That was all just from going out, taking random turns and just exploring, which is what late night rides are all about. f**k just nibbling your local spots - go out and check everywhere out, there's so much awesome shit you can come across. Just dip into estates and into parks and stuff like that, you never know what you might find. Seeing as everyone's all into making webvideos now as well, it adds the b onus factor of being able to find spots that you won't have filmed at before, and that other people might not have found before. It's pretty much a totally win-win situation, plus it's fun to just go out and ride your bike with some music on and just chill out.

EDIT: Just did a quick GoogleMaps check and I rode about 12-15miles. Have that, you fixie riding "Oh, I'm so proud of myself for breaking into double figures!" bastards :P

yay you?!?!?....ok for those who live in the middle of london. endless lines and obsticals.

I started taking on Ryan Leech's approch.

just practice what you know. do it over and over till you can do it with your eyes closed.

then adapt it to something high up or ona skinny........blend another trick into it. flow one trick into the next.

then add A small line into it. try and be as smooth as pos. gap cracks in the floor. try and land on chewing gum spots on the floor?

Try making a routine. say do 15 side hops then 10 manuels as long as you can, 20 endos...see how long you can hold them how high you can get them ect...

these are only examples.

but you videoing yourself, see were you could improve.

key to improving is practice, and experiment. if you see that you've improved you'll want to ride more trust.

hope that helps.

Edited by Aaron.gloster

The only thing that bothers me about riding towns on my own is the fact that i've got to leave my bag unattended whilst i'm riding a spot and someone could run past and snatch it, which is why I don't like filming on my own either. If I go to somewhere quiet like the local university there's no real risk of that happening so I just listen on the ipod, maybe even take a dock out and just play it through speakers, watching video's on your ipod is good as well as it keeps you psyched up and wanting to do more. A variety of trials/bmx/dirt video's is good as well 'cause it can inspire you to try new things.

I don't have a laptop but I've always thought that if I did have one i could take it out with me when i've got the camera so I can upload and edit a video as I ride, it will keep you out for longer and also gives you a good chance to rest every now and then and you can correct mistakes there and then rather than getting home and thinking oh s**t my tripod was wonky on this one, or I could have landed this a lot smoother.

Obviously that would be more ideal if you had a car because you can leave all your gear in there while you go and ride.

Cars are another good thing, there's nothing worse than thinking ahhh balls i've got a 30 min ride to get to a spot where i've got a big chance of getting moved on, and oof its a bit cloudy, i'm not riding all that way just to get rained on! In a car the journey takes a hell of a lot less time and your less tired so if you do get kicked off its no biggy.