Bring Back The Old School

After riding many bikes like my first Handsome dog rockhound, then my 3 orange zeros, 5 pashleys, 2 planet x zebdis, echo bounce then control, 4 leesons, a ashton justice and now my girl friends 20" koxx hydrox i've really messed up my riding style. Any new bikes i've rode i just haven't got my head around them. My leeson i love to bits, as its easy to chuck about and is so smooth! Pashleys are amense and i wish i never got rid of the first one i every had! My confidence has dropped alot. Im no way acheiving what i used to. Can still do the basics but the bigger stuff i just can't do anymore. So i made the choice of going back to the old school set ups. A mate of my has a original Megamo 26". No fancy brakes, no nice cranks ... just original parts like i used to run. AND A SEAT! So i have got a giant trials frame (number 101) as a start. Now on the search for other parts. really looking forward to riding it. The more i ride my wifes bike though i have to admit, i see why there a popular bike. There so easy to chuck about ... side hop and gap. But its nothing like the big sketchy stlye of a big framed, noisey old beast from the east. Will upload pictures when its built ..... sorry for the random topic, but would like to see if other people go down this route oo ......

Ah the good old days, the martin's, tricks and stunts, magura's fluro yellow racelines, hope c2 disc brakes, eddie tongue, kurt brain, jeff Lenosky were some of the big names in trials, fsa powerpro cranks with dmr bashrings. Feels like such a long time ago now! Seems so far removed from todays trials riding! I remember if you got bored of dirt jumping you just put a set of rigid forks, a magura, short stem and powerpro's with a bash ring on your saracen/planet x/ ddg or what ever and you had a trials bike! Good times!

Ah the good old days, the martin's, tricks and stunts, magura's fluro yellow racelines, hope c2 disc brakes, eddie tongue, kurt brain, jeff Lenosky were some of the big names in trials, fsa powerpro cranks with dmr bashrings. Feels like such a long time ago now! Seems so far removed from todays trials riding! I remember if you got bored of dirt jumping you just put a set of rigid forks, a magura, short stem and powerpro's with a bash ring on your saracen/planet x/ ddg or what ever and you had a trials bike! Good times!

I remember all that, I'd love it if things were still like that.

:(

Yeah simpler times! But monkeyseemonkeydo has a point 24" trials is goin back towards that time. No inch pinching, no weight weenies, just havin fun. And they have seats on them! Remember the saracen x-tort frame that the mad team used in that blue white and red splater design! Oh how i wanted one! Lol

Remember the saracen x-tort frame that the mad team used in that blue white and red splater design! Oh how i wanted one! Lol

I used to love the idea of those aluminium pressed monocoque type X-Tort frames! Geometry was terrible for trials but they looked sweet :P. But yeah, 24" trials is definitely reintroducing more fun back into what 'real trials' has progressed into.

Good for jumpin though the old x-tort. The team edition was mint the blue white and red frame white rims red hubs blue side wall tires red brake calipers (grimecas if i remember correctly!) my mate brian had one i was so jealous of him! Made a lovely noise when a stone pinged up off the tyre and hit the frame!

ditto!!!!!!!! the old cresent illinois was lovely too super rare, i remember one rider got his one to weigh less than the monty 221 x lite mod which was the lightest bike at the time but i remember seein the guy doin an tire tap on the railin at the back of a quarter pipe in a skate park!

Remember the saracen x-tort frame that the mad team used in that blue white and red splater design! Oh how i wanted one! Lol

That was my first trials bike, complete with the yellow maguras!

:D

I would have killed for one of those x-torts in mad colours, mate had one, sweet stuff. I nearly bought one but somehow ended up buying a Shooter full build instead.

If anyone still has one, I want it!

I gave it away, guy might still have it though and don't think he ever used it. Can ask if you want?

Lol - to me, an old school trials bike is a cross country bike with the saddle down and the largest chain ring removed!

My first trials bike (with the saddle up):

conquest.jpg

It is a Saracen Conquest Competition Hydrotec

Edited by MikeWarner

Lol - to me, an old school trials bike is a cross country bike with the saddle down and the largest chain ring removed!

My first trials bike (with the saddle up):

conquest.jpg

It is a Saracen Conquest Competition Hydrotec

they were pretty much! Except the megamos montys and Brisas. That was what i loved about it, the simplicity! After a ride you can just put up your seat and ride home! Didnt cost the earth like it does now!

well boys got a few projects on the go! Got a giant (frame number 110) and a pashley 26 mghz. I will try and get pics up as soon as possible! I've got a 24inch 609 leeson. Lawnmowermans old one. Just having a bit of a face lift at the moment. messed up the back wheel. So lots of ordering to do with tarty bikes!

After riding many bikes like my first Handsome dog rockhound, then my 3 orange zeros, 5 pashleys, 2 planet x zebdis, echo bounce then control, 4 leesons, a ashton justice and now my girl friends 20" koxx hydrox i've really messed up my riding style. Any new bikes i've rode i just haven't got my head around them. My leeson i love to bits, as its easy to chuck about and is so smooth! Pashleys are amense and i wish i never got rid of the first one i every had! My confidence has dropped alot. Im no way acheiving what i used to. Can still do the basics but the bigger stuff i just can't do anymore. So i made the choice of going back to the old school set ups. A mate of my has a original Megamo 26". No fancy brakes, no nice cranks ... just original parts like i used to run. AND A SEAT! So i have got a giant trials frame (number 101) as a start. Now on the search for other parts. really looking forward to riding it. The more i ride my wifes bike though i have to admit, i see why there a popular bike. There so easy to chuck about ... side hop and gap. But its nothing like the big sketchy stlye of a big framed, noisey old beast from the east. Will upload pictures when its built ..... sorry for the random topic, but would like to see if other people go down this route oo ......

24" is the new old skool. True fact.

+1

I think it is a really good idea as everything in trials changes to fit with the IN" croud, your being your self and cant nock that :)

The more old skool riders these days are on inspired etc, as 24 dose seem to be the New old skool, however marino frame are of an older baced style,

so for someone to want to be on a more old skool style bike but not wanting a bunch of secondhand parts, you can build that style up still even with trials

moving in the direction is is at the moment.

as youve said your wanting to see if anyone else follows this, you could potentialy start a craze up for your 'style' of riding.

Like you I miss the old skool bikes and not going into as much depth as you have, ive got an 03 monty x-lite frame that im on the way with minting up and building again like i said you can build old skool with new parts, so hopefully ill have a awesome riding frame (oldskool) with a nicer spec than they used to be :) , be a slight diffrence from my onza ice haha.

I think its a really good idea, being there is so many older frames liying around in peoples sheds , you can get hold of them cheaply and even not to ride it a really fun project to be getting on with.

like to see some pics of your bike when its done, if intrested ill post some of the monty when i get chance :)

i have just been reading this thread and it brought back the memories of when i started riding my first bike was a ddg shooter with vee brakes god old days now i want to build my brisa b26d up or my azonic d.s 2

i have just been reading this thread and it brought back the memories of when i started riding my first bike was a ddg shooter with vee brakes god old days now i want to build my brisa b26d up or my azonic d.s 2

happy days huh! Back in the dayz! Several lad i used to ride with had the old yellow hawyes giant's they were awesome! Pashleys were so lovely i properly fell in love with them! I would love so much to have an old school bike. But im gettin a 24 so as to put some fun into my riding! Power pro cranks! Were so cool at the time! Fluro maguras. I had a pair of them on my azonic ds 1 evolution wish i still had em! Rob warner cage pedals! I nearly forgot them! Cnc shorty stems! El gato tires, mavic cd rims, hope mono hubs i still have one of them! Tioga factory dh tires! So many happy memories of long summer days riding with the boys, no pressure, no taking things serious, being stoked to do 1 side hop or a track stand for 30 seconds back when i were a lad! Lol BRING BACK THOSE DAYS, WHO'S WITH ME?!

Been thinking about the same thing recently and have been scratching my head around why i am not improving / having the confidence etc i used to have on a bike, i think i have finally put my finger on what it is and its the trend!

Basically i have been riding off and on for about 8 years now maybe more and for the last year or two my riding has been gradually getting worse and i could not put my finger on it was it lack of motivation? places i was riding? work? I never stopped to think that it could be the frame because i was "following" this high bb long wheelbase trend and if it was working for the pros why wouldn't it work for me?..

It all made sense last week when i had a full days riding on a mates old echo think it was a pure, we measured the wheelbase at 1100 with viz forks and the bb was +15 and i knew as soon as i got on it it just felt right, balanced... By then end of the day i was tapping higher than i could on my +60 czar and it was just a different kettle fish on the rocks just hopped and balanced sooo well i was amazed by it...Needless to say when i am buying my next 26" frame it will be a lower bb i think +25/30 is perfect for a 26" frame.

I am now just testing a 24" marino tgs frame which is 1085 ( long i know ) but is a kind of experiment just to see what it rides like with a +45 bb aswel.. Its a little bit heavy for tgs but if the geo works i will find a way to make one out of ally then and go from there..will keep you posted..

(sorry for the life story but thought i would share it).. (Y)

My first trials bike was a Saracen X-Tort in black and red.

Sounded awful, rode horribly too.

I always remember my best mate having a Pashley and being so damn jealous!

I also had a Barracuda Ghetto, I loved that - ended up converting it to a jump bike before I got my first DMR.

Now I'm building up a Simtra which will be great because I've never had a "proper" trials bike with modern geo and all that - I'll probably still be awful but hey it's all good fun :P

24" is the way forward for alot of us old school riders but we were takin a trip down memory lane dude talkin about the early days of our riding lives.those bikes seemed to be more fun to ride, geo was all wrong for trials! I mean you could convert your jump or xc to a trials bike for about £200

Edited by bender b rodreguez

"Bring Back The Old School", My gosh! This has topic has brought some memories flooding back. I therefore thought I might share some bicycling photographic gems from my families albums if I may?

'My Great Grandfather Albert, discovering the joy of physics'.

post-21329-1245875057_thumb.jpg

'Whilst his brother Gunther watches enviously with his prototype Monty Camel'.

post-21329-1245875739_thumb.jpg

'My Grandfather, during the war, making the most of the lack of available steel, but yet finishing 3rd in th Tour De France'.

post-21329-1245875998_thumb.jpg

'My Great Uncle Aldolf, during his Tour of Germany'

post-21329-1245876200_thumb.jpg

'My Uncle Dagmar's Scandinavian pursuit bicycle

post-21329-1245876703_thumb.jpg

'His cousin Gerd's 1st Time Trial'

post-21329-1245876857_thumb.jpg

'My Wife on the first day we met'

post-21329-1245876957_thumb.jpg

'Our children on their way to school

post-21329-1245877133_thumb.jpg

'My Dutch Nephew Casper's school engineering project' (made from a carboard box from Ikea and an old Dutch pizza cutter I'm lead to believe).

post-21329-1245877567_thumb.jpg

to be continued... as I can't add the photo's I most cherish........

Edited by middleageman