Is Iceland'S Volcanic Ash Cloud Coming Near You?

Rusevelt

Yeah 'cos if you were stranded somewhere with no money and you're flight had been delayed by a week you'd be perfectly happy, yeah? It's obviously not the airlines faults but they still have some kindof duty of care to their passengers and still have to get their customers to where they've paid to go. If that's not for a week I'd expect to be looked after or receive some kind of compensation.

Obviously i'd want some sort of help but i'd much rather be safe and on the ground than risk it just to get home quickly

What's crazy is that even flights between Guernsey and Jersey have been grounded. Those things reach about 1,000' before starting the appraoch because the flight's so short. The ash is in the jet stream at 30,000'. What the...?!

I was wondering if it had effected lower flights, guess that's the answer. Weird.

What's crazy is that even flights between Guernsey and Jersey have been grounded. Those things reach about 1,000' before starting the appraoch because the flight's so short. The ash is in the jet stream at 30,000'. What the...?!

Theoretically there may be a chance of ash at lower levels due to the jet strem of previous planes, much like the reason you can't fly a cessna behind a 747. But still the ash would be long gone and surely the low flights wouldn't be affected? Weird :S

According to CNN, flights are being canceled for 2 reasons, closure of air space (more ash related) and closure of airports (due to lack of flights). The latter probably is why those flights are not happening.

Interesting note, Iceland has been effected very little by this, their airports are open and there were no deaths. Biggest issue they have is a few farms being flooded.

The fact that people are somehow blaming the airlines for the volcano erupting and are demanding they pay for accommodation for them makes me laugh, f**king idiots

yeah f**kin funny when you are stuck in austria and have no f**king clue how to get home, with potential delays for a week and 2 courseworks due in for uni and you are going to mis the deadline, yeah f**kin funny

What is even funnier, well not is that insurers won't pay out due to unforeseen circumstances, or an act of god :S

cheers for that

yeah f**kin funny when you are stuck in austria and have no f**king clue how to get home, with potential delays for a week and 2 courseworks due in for uni and you are going to mis the deadline, yeah f**kin funny

Sorry Ash but did you misread what he wrote? Way to go off the handle....

Yes you're stuck in Austria because of a natural disaster. It effects everyone, not just you. If you're going to go abroad you always run the risk of something not letting you get home, so man up and accept that this time the risk didn't pay off for you.

I agree with him, it's hilarious that people expect the airlines to put them up for another 2 weeks of holiday. If you're going abroad you should always budget for having to stay there longer than you expected! It's just common sense.

• Like 1

I think they'll probably give you an extension. Exceptional circumstances and all that.

euro tunnel is booked solid for 7 hours, the ferrys are full too. unles you mean an aqua car? but im not sure avis loan those out

Still, that's better than hanging around for a week surely? It's a 14 hour drive back to the UK so if you booked yourself on a ferry/train or whatever by the time you get there you're laughing. You could even drop the car off near the ferry port and just go over to Pompy or wherever as a foot passenger.

I agree with him, it's hilarious that people expect the airlines to put them up for another 2 weeks of holiday. If you're going abroad you should always budget for having to stay there longer than you expected! It's just common sense.

To be fair if I go on holiday it's because I've just about managed to save enough money to do it or have just rinsed my overdraft enough so I'd be absolutely f**ked if something like that ever happened to me.

euro tunnel is booked solid for 7 hours, the ferrys are full too. unles you mean an aqua car? but im not sure avis loan those out

Shit that you cant get back but you ll definitely qualify for an extension due to extenuating circumstances so don't worry about that. if your worried ring up your uni dept and explain it.

Shit that you cant get back but you ll definitely qualify for an extension due to extenuating circumstances so don't worry about that. if your worried ring up your uni dept and explain it.

finally got back lol. and i do have an extension

the reason people are getting pissy at the airlines is because they are not getting anything. no food, water, hotel rooms, refunds or an alternative way to travel.

ba gave us flights for wednesday, but we have to stay in their accommodation. £375 per person per night, saturday - wednesday = bare with 4 people.

we werent allowed a refund as it was cancelled not delayed. (somehow that works...?)

our travel insurance gave us £300 each (for 4 so £1200) to play with to get us home, car hire and able to leave in another country, £400, hotel room £50 (i slept in the car as the hotel had 3 beds left) somehow got on a sea france ferry as a foot passenger £50 each. then a coach to london £89 between us, then the underground to heathrow, then the shuttle bus to our car and pay the extra charges for being late, then driving home. plus food and petrol.

also the ferrys are very unhelpful. we rang when we were just outside calais at 8am this morning, they said no available ferrys till wednesday. got in there and they had available room :S

so worked out a pretty expensive trip back. but its good to be back.