Is Iceland'S Volcanic Ash Cloud Coming Near You?

Rusevelt

Thing is, we've had volcanic activity from various parts of the globe in the past, but not the kind to impact on international airline services. So assuming this particular volcanic ash cloud doesn't disperse anytime soon, say over the next 24-48hrs, how long can airlines suspend flights for esspecially during time of climbing out of the economic crisis, where airlines need business over the spring summer months. How will the stock market react to this, will the 2010 World Cup be affected by ticket sales, am i rambling over nothing......yes!

The ask is in the Jet Stream above Europe, strangely where the planes fly. The RAF Chief tech who sits next to me was explaining in lamens terms how the ash superheated by the jet engines forms into glass and solidifies, this stalls the engines and bad things happen, previously plane ahve got out of it by trying to restart there engines whilst descending pretty damn quick due to the lack of propulsion, the glass breaks and the engines can restart. So yeah its a good idea to stop flights, can't really be having big planes diving out of their intended flight paths to avoid a huge cloud of ash they can only track by radar and isn't exactly predictable. Nothing will happen to us though, things will be fine in a day or so once the ash has stopped erupting out of the volcanoe and the cloud has broken up.

I for one am not retreating to my nuclear bunker quite yet.

pompeii_bodies.jpg

Haha, brings new meaning to the words, 'danger wank'.

Ha ha ha haaaa!! That's the best post I've seen in a good while!

From the BBC... Nats suggested that the restrictions were unlikely to be lifted after 0700, saying saying it was "very unlikely that the situation over England will improve in the foreseeable future".

Belter! Hard to imagine no planes flying overhead. I wonder how the f'ck they deal with this, i.e. re-routing flights already en route, etc, etc - it must be a complete nightmare.

Tomorrow I embark on a 4000km journey - thank f'ck it's overland, eh?

Made me laugh yesterday with this on the news, they were getting peoples reactions from various airports across the East Midlands, however they only happen to interview some right scum bags - some huge fat man with a fag on who looked rather agressive, some woman covered in jewellery and no teeth...

Each said pretty much the same thing 'Ahh, kin' ell, never heard of flights being cancelled cos of volcanic ash before'. You dickhead. Perhaps because we don't live near many active volcanoes?!

Balls... the GF was supposed to be flying back from Nairobi today... cancelled. She's a teacher who's supposed to be back on Monday but Virgin have said they're not planning to fly until next Saturday. D'oh.

Next Saturday? As in the 17th or the 24th?

An eruption in Iceland..

Kerry Katona has got a lot to answer for!

What's the difference between the Iceland volcano and Cheryl Cole?

The volcano is still blowing ash.

Jeez I haven't seen this much fuss over a load of ash since Hitler was in power...

Experts have warned that it could take years of work by experienced professionals to clean up after the volcano.

That's why Mum's gone to Iceland.

The fact that people are somehow blaming the airlines for the volcano erupting and are demanding they pay for accommodation for them makes me laugh, f**king idiots

Yeah 'cos if you were stranded somewhere with no money and you're flight had been delayed by a week you'd be perfectly happy, yeah? It's obviously not the airlines faults but they still have some kindof duty of care to their passengers and still have to get their customers to where they've paid to go. If that's not for a week I'd expect to be looked after or receive some kind of compensation.