Parking Charges

eskimo

I got a letter through the post (or rather my Dad did as he's the owner on paper); saying that "the vehicle was parked at Retail Centre (address etc) from 15.50.27 to 19.12.26 and they require payment of the parking charge notice in accordance with the parking terms and conditions clearly stated on the signage."

"The amount of £150 must be paid within 28days of the issue dated above. If your remittance is received within 14 days of the issue date, a reduced amount of £75 will be accepted."

There's a few more details on the letter but that's the jist of it. £75 is ridiculous. I never received a note on my car and the letter was not recorded so no signature was required. Also they don't state what i did wrong. I saw some signs but just presumed they said that only customers of the shops could use the car park (which i was). They say they have photographic evidence and i have to pay £10 cheque to get it.

It also mentions "representations: in writing only, within 10 days". Which ain't exactly enough.

The company is Civil Enforcement LTD. And i've been reading about it and in short seems these companies can't actually do this and they actually never follow up on them.

The letter at first seems professional but it really isn't when you look at it more. It's on a pale blue thick A4 paper with no small print and a small picture of some scales in the top right hand corner.

I'm still unsure to why this happened anyway. There were 3 cars in total that went to ride the skatepark and i was the only one who got the letter. (wasn't anywhere else to park). Anyway my mate said the sign said max of 3 hours and 5 hours in evening was allowed. We finished and i went to the KFC drive-though then parked somewhere else in the car park to eat. And my one mate said we wasn't there more than 3 hours. (but i might have been since i moved)

Anyway i'm going to speak to Citizens Advice Bureau today. Yet some people on the forums say they aren't really clued up parking charges.

This happened to anyone else?

I've heard of this kind of set up before, although normally its private comapnies offering clamping and being extrotionate with release fee's.

I personally think its definately a scam, and if the shop owner/manager has no connection with the company in question (you'd have to ask) then I'd just ignore it!

however, the penalty for overstay (of a two hour parking lot) i've not seen any above £60, but different councils = different money making schemes!

Thanks for Googling it, but i've already read that thread. I've been reading stuff for almost 2 hours now.

As my Dad is the named driver and he was at work so he couldn't of been there i should be okay. Hopefully my Dad agrees with me to ignore this.

Thanks for Googling it, but i've already read that thread. I've been reading stuff for almost 2 hours now.

As my Dad is the named driver and he was at work so he couldn't of been there i should be okay. Hopefully my Dad agrees with me to ignore this.

no prob, but i wouldn't bin them keep them as a record, as if it goes further you have a backlist of threats etc

Just bin it. They make enough money from intimidating most people into paying that they don't need to waste time chasing those who don't.

Orrrr they send the odd reminder telling you that the charge is now £250... £500 and then send the Bailiffs round when it's worth their while.

Can you go back to the car park to sus out what the signs actually say? Those places are usually like 2 hour maximum stay from my experience.

I had the same sort of thing from UKPC because I "left the car park once, haha.

This may or may not be useful depending on whether you want to just ignore it or spend months sending useless contact to them which will be ignored but covers your back a little more:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/119802-private-parking-tickets-template.html

Orrrr they send the odd reminder telling you that the charge is now £250... £500 and then send the Bailiffs round when it's worth their while.

Can you go back to the car park to sus out what the signs actually say? Those places are usually like 2 hour maximum stay from my experience.

I don't think they can increase the cost because i'm 100% sure on the sign there was nothing to say it will keep increasing. I think it's wise i don't go back to the carpark and it will show i'm understanding that i'm in the wrong (even though it's my Dad's name on the letter).

I had the same sort of thing from UKPC because I "left the car park once, haha.

This may or may not be useful depending on whether you want to just ignore it or spend months sending useless contact to them which will be ignored but covers your back a little more:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/119802-private-parking-tickets-template.html

Thanks, again, i read that before :) And that's what i intend to do. I guess it's all to do if they can charge me with it and prove i was there.

I have saved all the webpages to show my Dad.

How did you get on with that UKPC?

Massive scam in Southend at the moment is people who steal the cars, park them in a "travellers" area, and charge a £200 release fee, they insist on meeting in obscure places and only accepting cash and not giving receipts out :S madness.

My housemate got one from Morrissons "Parking Eye" scheme.

He sent them a letter saying they couldn't prove he was driving it, it could have been any of his family and that any further correspondence would be classed as harrassment.

He's not heard anything else since... Write it well and they'll be off your back :)