Are You Mostly A Solo Or Group Rider

psycholist

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride trials solo or in a group?

• All solo rides
    • Mostly solo rides
    • Around 75% solo rides
    • About half in half
    • Around 75% group rides
    • Mostly group rides
    • All group rides
  2. 2. When was the last time you rode your bike solo?

• The past 24 hours
    • The past 3 days
    • The past week
    • The past fortnight
    • The past month
    • The past year
    • Never
  3. 3. When was the last time you were on a group ride?

• The past 24 hours
    • The past 3 days
    • The past week
    • The past fortnight
    • The past month
    • The past year
    • Never
  4. 4. Including you, how many people are usually out for an average group ride (Ignore more organised events like Tartydays or competitions)? If the number varies a lot pick an average or comment on it in a post.

• 50+ (Unlikely :-P )
    • Solo riding only

I've seen a good few people say there's nobody in their area to ride with, so they go trialsing alone, other people get out on rides with groups, so here's the inevitable survey. I reckon it'll be interesting to see what the results are like.

Are the same people at every ride or is there a lot of variation? Does who comes out vary depending on where you're riding? How regularly do group rides take place? Is your riding group growing or shrinking? Why you prefer to ride solo or in a group? Are there advantages and disadvantages to solo/group riding etc.

Solo, only me, my cousin and another lad locally who ride.

My cousins very defeatest so if he does ever come out and he can't pick something up very quickly he gives up so he hasn't been out for about 2-3 months.

As for the other lad he's only just started and bought a mod but cause of the shift pattern I work I mostly ride in the day when he's working.

I'm a very regular solo rider. Solo riding is a great time to practice the repetitive stuff and mess with new lines. I also find it very relaxing to stick in headphones and enjoy being alone. It's also a much higher intensity as there are no stops to see what other people are doing and I tend to cover ground a lot more quickly. Much less organising needed for solos rides too of course.

Group rides are great for the chance to push yourself knowing that if you crash there's help at hand. Watching how other people tackle a given line is a great way to learn new techniques or even to see lines you never thought of. If I did all group rides I'd definitely not get out riding half as often and would probably be less fit, though I may well be a slightly better rider in terms of trying dodgier lines.

I like going out with chilled out friends of a similar age group far more than group rides with younger, more argumentative guys. Between 1-6 is usually big enough to keep riding varied and crop up new ideas to copy from each other and expand upon without it getting to the point where people are feeling like they're queuing up to ride more than actually riding.

I don't like going out on rides with people who feel they have to keep trying to assert themselves within the group every 2-3 minutes. So i usually go out riding with people i know around 75% of the time, join a larger ride every 1-2 months and then ride solo if i need to make sure i've set something up right or on the rare occasion that nobody else is out.

In my area there are very few riders so I mainly ride solo, but recently I have become more involved with the Leeds riders and travel most weekends to that neck of the woods for a ride. The other riders are a great asset because they help and inspire me to push myself at a more suitable rate than if I was to ride solo the whole time. Solo riding can be fun but I like the atmosphere of riding with mates. Going back to my thread about the variety of people I ride with. Controversial as it seems to have become, I think that explains best why I prefer group rides

I have literally never ridden on my own.... lol

I have .....For about 5 minutes.

I ride with a group every night, we are all inbetween 12-16 so it tends to be good crack every night. But what always happens when kids that are 12-16 are out on their bike having a laugh and great fun? Either some old fogy comes out and tells us to get away or the bobbies are called, but the bobbies have only came like twice. One time we were out riding a women came out of her house with a video camera videoing us. One of my mates said heads! and i thought a ball was coming so i ducked :shifty:

I have not been riding for more than 2/3 months since getting back into trials. I find that i have only ridden at home due to work and other things. My Fiancee lives 300 miles away, so between work and travelling to see the mrs and my family (also 300 miles away) i only ever get an hour here or there to ride, so its solo all the way for me!!

Nothing to organise, just jump on and go!!

I'm determined to get to barrow farm sometime soon as i live only a few miles away, but as im going to be a dad in 2 weeks, i think time is going to be VERY limited!

As if all of this against me isn't enough to contend with i have a job where i travel the world frequently sometimes for periods of up to 5 weeks, so finding time really isn't easy!!!

Maybe i'll magically find some time soon, but all i know is 24 hours isn't enough for one day, and 7 isn't enough days in a week!!!

I used to ride with other riders but now I only ride alone. A few days ago I went out with a mate at 6am (well, let's just say it's 35 degrees during the day over here) and found it more than annoying. We were just talking all the time. I can't ride on and off, if I go out I have to get into a rhythm and ride non stop for an hour or two. This allows me to do as many moves on a spot as I want and move on when I'm bored.

However, I don't like riding alone because I'm a kind of guy who doesn't like to attract attention. When you're in a group you don't seem to care but if you're just there on your own things are different. That's why I usually ride in big parks. Never go out into the city alone. I'm too self conscious and will only do the moves I have a 100% success rate at - which means no progress, no pushing yourself.

What I hate about riding alone is the people watching. I had my rucksack on the ground this one time and a family came and put money in it thinking I'm some sort of performer :blink: I gave their money back and they asked a few questions about trials.

But yea I ride solo mostly. I like riding with people and trying differnet things but when i go I seem to end up watching a lot because I don't get to see it in person that much rather than riding myself.

always on my own, i use to do dirt jump, down hill and street with a couple of mates and now i moved to a village so i am on my own, there is one kid that as just got a ns so i got out with him now and then and ride but he isnt realy very good on a bike but its good to have company and to teach them.

chris

However, I don't like riding alone because I'm a kind of guy who doesn't like to attract attention. When you're in a group you don't seem to care but if you're just there on your own things are different. That's why I usually ride in big parks. Never go out into the city alone. I'm too self conscious and will only do the moves I have a 100% success rate at - which means no progress, no pushing yourself.

This. Solo's good for not getting bored - but I'm the same as you.