Power Balance Bands?

Sam T

Hey guys,

Came across these bands on Amazon, and it seems pretty cool. But is it all a big scam and its all pyscological/ placebo effect?

Product Description

"Power Balance Sports Bracelets are new to the UK. You may have already seen the Power Balance Sports Bands being worn throughout the world by professional athletes and sportsmen. Power Balance Sports Bracelet sports stars include Rubens Barrichello (Formula One). Shaquille O'Neal and Lamar Odom (Basketball), Wasps RFC and Cardiff Blues (Rugby), Linford Christie, Iwan Thomas, Mark Lewis Francis and Katherine Merry (Athletes) and Matt Stafford (NFL). In addition many hi-profile sportsmen have been seen wearing Power Balance Wrist Bands, ranging from Premiership footballers, rugby players and world leading golfers, to triathletes, world tour cycling teams and ATP tennis players. The fashionable Power Balance silicone wristband comes equipped with two visible Power Balance holograms. The 3mm thick wristband is made from 100% surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable, featuring a 40% stretch feature for extra stretch over the hands."

Product Features

You may have already seen the Power Balance Sports Bands being worn throughout the world by professional athletes and sportsmen.

Power Balance Sports Bracelet sports stars include Rubens Barrichello (Formula One). Shaquille O'Neal and Lamar Odom (Basketball), Wasps RFC and Cardiff Blues (Rugby), Linford Christie, Iwan Thomas, Mark Lewis Francis and Katherine Merry (Athletes)

In addition many hi-profile sportsmen have been seen wearing Power Balance Wrist Bands, ranging from Premiership footballers, rugby players and world leading golfers, to triathletes, world tour cycling teams and ATP tennis players.

Health and Care are an official Power Balance authorised retailer. Please purchase from authorised retailer to avoid being sold counterfeit bands.

Any of you guys using one? If so, do you notice any real effects?

Sam.

even basic common sense / instinct tell's me that they are fake, but they were pretty clever when it came to marketing them, get a completely self satisfied shithorn like david beckham to wear one and then everybody will want to buy one no matter how much they cost.. people love this sort of tack, cocks like this need to be dealt with, to be honest i don't think it will be long now before these sort of companies start trying to sell you your own shadow

even basic common sense / instinct tell's me that they are fake, but they were pretty clever when it came to marketing them, get a completely self satisfied shithorn like david beckham to wear one and then everybody will want to buy one no matter how much they cost.. people love this sort of tack, cocks like this need to be dealt with, to be honest i don't think it will be long now before these sort of companies start trying to sell you your own shadow

this is funny, all the major sports stars in spain wear them like ronaldo, even the minister of health wore one :lol: i know in aussie land they have been taken of the market for false advertising (the only country ro do it atm) but fair play to the guy who invented it, he's made millions :lol:(Y)

You just completed a marvelous day for me with that comment!

• Like 1

this is funny, all the major sports stars in spain wear them like ronaldo, even the minister of health wore one :lol: i know in aussie land they have been taken of the market for false advertising (the only country ro do it atm) but fair play to the guy who invented it, he's made millions :lol:(Y)

Yeah but if they had done a money-back guarantee if the user experienced no positive effects, they would have had to pay back more than they would profit. My local Cycles Uk store have them in stock and all the staff guys tried it, only one of them experienced greater flexibility and improved core strength and balance whilst the others experienced nothing.

I have one. Cant say i've noticed any difference at all but i will tell you why i bought one.

About 3months ago i was serving a customer at work and noticed he had one. Having already heard a little about them i was interested as to whether he rated it or not.

Turns out that 20yrs ago (chap was about 50) he had a major motorbike crash and his right leg was a right f**king mess. Had multiple operations and lots of physio to get him walking again. The strength in his leg is now similar to that of his left but he has NEVER been able to balance on that leg since the accident. He got hold of a PB band and within a day could balance un-aided on his right leg.

Now i know that sounds pretty freekin weird but it was enough for me to get one out of curiosity.

These things are weird. I've actually used one in a triathlon shop I helped out in and much to my disbelief - I assumed they were most likely a nonsense - it made a difference to my ability to balance and move against resistence.

However, the power of states of mind over the body is a well established thing so it could still easily be a nonsense. That, however, works both ways. And, somewhat in that sense, I'd be just as wary of claims of scientific 'proof' against it as I would of the band itself.

Edit: I was just thinking, in a pragmatic sense, it doesn't matter if they don't have the physical effect, via the route claimed, but rather they tell a story which somebody can get into and, as a consequence, perform better through a kind of belief. Anyway, whatever, I shall not be buying one.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

As others have said, Power Balance Australia actually had to come out and admit that they didn't work. They even include it in their ads over there now apparently, but I can't see that being the case.

That said, I did try one (a test item from Power Balance UK) and the mind over matter lark helped balance. I guess I just wanted it to, so I actually did use one while boxing for a while. Forgot it a few times and didn't see a drop in performance so figured I could carry on not using it - obviously it was a placebo, but if it enabled me to increase my ability in a short time then it's a great placebo. Well worth the nothing I paid for it!

Mixed reveiws on them I've heard. The same people who sell Onza sell Power Balance to the Cycle Trade. I've had the test done on me and it worked. Made me stretch further and able to resist being pushed over. I have my doubts whether its a placebo but he is a vid.

It will have its critics for sure but I'm never gonna slag something off that may make you think you can perform better as when you have that mind set then you usually do perform better.

However, the power of states of mind over the body is a well established thing so it could still easily be a nonsense. That, however, works both ways. And, somewhat in that sense, I'd be just as wary of claims of scientific 'proof' against it as I would of the band itself.

It will have its critics for sure but I'm never gonna slag something off that may make you think you can perform better as when you have that mind set then you usually do perform better.

This and This.

I am amazed no one is selling this sort of thing to stop smoking.

Edited by Matt Vandart

I think, but please dont quote me as I really cant be arsed to argue that they have answed back and the reporter in Australia had to apologise for writing the story. Other wise you would not be allowed to sell them right?

Like I said, Really not bothered. Just thought I would say what my experiance was with them.

The NHS is currently funding homeopathic 'medicine' and that's as about as bullshit and this total piece of crap. The idea that to make a sleeping pill you take something that keeps you awake like an extract from caffeine, then water it down to the point that there's actually more fecal matter left in the water than the caffeine extract, an then they sell it as 'natural, herbal medicine'.

The video shows two people who are so totally into this thing and are incredibly bias towards it, so they'll make their experiment look like it really works. The non-band tests remind me of this video:

It's all well and good to say it's only the placebo effect and if it works it works, but what about the 80 year old woman who is suffering so badly from arthritis freezes to death because she had to stop paying her heating bill because she bought a $140 wristband.

Or the kid who's ill from meningitis who's mother is giving him homeopathic medicine for it.

Science doesn't need to come up with anything to show that these don't work. It's the person who's making the claim that these work who has to show that they do indeed work. I bet if there was ever a double blind study done on them, it would fail so badly, but people will still buy them anyway.