Japan Earthquake/tsunami

omgnoseat

How's that actually with the overheating powerplants? Did authorities really confirm that one's soon going to blow up or is that a rumour? :unsure:

btw, one of those super volcanoes could end everything pretty fast, no matter which year it is.

EDIT: after skim reading This Sounds as if the cooling equiment for the reactor is fecked, which is what happened at chernobyl...

The cooling equipment wasn't fecked at Cherynobl - the reactor/generator system was in a slightly unstable (by design) during a test of the emergency procedures. A flaw in the design of the control rods led to a spike in the reactor ouput which caused the initial explosion. It was all downhill from there.

ah what, a 3rd explosion over night chucking out high radiation levels (N)

Yeah heard the same breaking news on Sky News this morning. The radiation levels coming out are not much greater than going to hospital for a crt scan.

Edited by Rusevelt

Its bad enough that search and rescue efforts are being hampered by bad weather, and bureaucracy red tape because British rescue teams are not being provided with the right paperwork when they arrive in japan and are being told to go back. Foreign secretary William Hague, needs to get things rolling with the rescue efforts now and worry less about proper channels for international rescue operations.

Thunderbirds are not go...

Do the reactors not have automatic emergency shut downs I would of though they would.

No idea, but I know it isn't an on/off switch. Starting up and shutting down the reactors can take some substantial time. Can't remember the exact numbers but I think around half an hour.

No idea, but I know it isn't an on/off switch. Starting up and shutting down the reactors can take some substantial time. Can't remember the exact numbers but I think around half an hour.

Yeah, the reactors can be SCRAMed which in an emergency shutdown procedure. Dunno how long it takes (having just had a look at wikipedia :rolleyes: , takes four seconds), but none of the reactors were producing full power when the cooling systems failed.