Rear Brake Help? (Somethings Not Right)

mista-neos

Hi all at the moment I'm having some trouble with the hold with the rear brake. The brake has good bite but as soon as being on the edge of walls or whatever it just slips. I never had a problem untill I got a new rim I got tarty bikes to give it a medium grind. one of the problems is what ever pads I use just get shredded (the wall of my tyres coverd in pad :S) I have used heatsink yellows in plastic backings, RockBlues in CNC and currently Heatsink yellows in CNC's. my set up is GU booster, HS33, V!Z superlite wheel, Water bleed medium grind. On my old ground rim light grind on monty 221 rim I had no problems, So I'm putting the blame on the new grind. Has anyone else had this problem? can anyone help me out. Its causing me alot of stress and I'm not enjoying riding anymore.

Thanks Blake

Ive found with my old heatsink reds, they just wouldnt hold if I had a 4bolt booster on as it was too stiff, put a 2bolt on and it would bite and hold just fine - added bonus of saving a load of weight, downside is its noisier :(

Ive not tried my heatsink yellows with a 4bolt, they work perfectly with the 2bolt so never bothered to change :)

Edited by forteh

Giving it enough time to bed in?

Give it a fresh bleed, make sure there's NO air in it at all. Set it up so the pads are dead square, and then let it bed in! It wont be amazing at first, but keep dragging the brake, chuck water on it, drag it, repeat. They'll get better!

If you keep re-adjusting it, the pads wont be able to wear into the set up, so you'll be going in circles. ;)

Pads for a Medium Grind

- Tnn LGM ( I found these to be a little incosistant in performance )

- Tnn Beleay ( Only used these on a mates bike for a few hours. Seem to be brilliant though )

- Rockman CNC Blues ( Brilliant Pads )

- Heatsink CNC Yellows ( My favourite )

- Heasink CNC Coustsinks (Yet to try )

- Phat Pads in CNC backings

If your going to be running a light grind,

- Heatsink CNC Yellows

- Try-All Croco Yellows

(These are the only pads Ive really used on a light grind)

The Heatsink CNC Yellows are truely brilliant though. Work on a medium grind, and will continue to do so as the grind wears out. Mine are on a dead grind atm and bite and hold remains truely amazing. (Y)

Ive been running pure water in my brakes for nearly 2 years with no problems. Just regular servicing will avoid any problems. Only takes about 10-20 mins to service a Magura.

I know but ive heard quite a few of problems with water bleeding and in theory because oil is thicker than water then it should help with brake power because it would be able to push the pads in better.

Hi all at the moment I'm having some trouble with the hold with the rear brake. The brake has good bite but as soon as being on the edge of walls or whatever it just slips. I never had a problem untill I got a new rim I got tarty bikes to give it a medium grind. one of the problems is what ever pads I use just get shredded (the wall of my tyres coverd in pad :S) I have used heatsink yellows in plastic backings, RockBlues in CNC and currently Heatsink yellows in CNC's. my set up is GU booster, HS33, V!Z superlite wheel, Water bleed medium grind. On my old ground rim light grind on monty 221 rim I had no problems, So I'm putting the blame on the new grind. Has anyone else had this problem? can anyone help me out. Its causing me alot of stress and I'm not enjoying riding anymore.

Thanks Blake

You could also sand your rim a little to make the grind less harsh and it shouldn't destroy your pads.

I know but ive heard quite a few of problems with water bleeding and in theory because oil is thicker than water then it should help with brake power because it would be able to push the pads in better.

Purely on that statement no one should ever take advice from you.

• Like 4

My brakes hold just as well as when it was bled with oil.

They bite quicker, as the brake is quicker due to the lower viscocity of water, and the return is quicker. As well as the brake being lighter.

I suffer from terrible arm pump when using oil in my brakes, and water bleed with either a deng or 4 finger lever is the only way I get round this.

• Like 1

My brakes hold just as well as when it was bled with oil.

They bite quicker, as the brake is quicker due to the lower viscocity of water, and the return is quicker. As well as the brake being lighter.

I suffer from terrible arm pump when using oil in my brakes, and water bleed with either a deng or 4 finger lever is the only way I get round this.

I haven't used water bleed brakes but I cant imagine being better as oil when you think about it it should be better if the oil is thicker shouldnt it?