The Über Grind

robintrial

i get what you meen, if maybe they could sell a rim that has a built in grind, made in the factory and reinforced some how ^_^ or you could have a aluminum ring thats 3mm thick or something ? you buy it, attach it to your rim using bolts that are square and fit into square holes so they dont move and there flush fitting, do it up on the inside with a nut and so its a flush fit onto the inside also, then grind the ring when its on the wheel and the face of the bolts will grind aswell :) then when the grind goes dead you grind it again then when the second one goes dead you buy a new ring :P sounds like a uber grind or replacaple grind if you ask me :giggle: much cheaper than a new rim :P

chris

Edited by multi tasking male

A replaceable grind surface would increase weight and cost. Unless they cost like 50p each it would be cheaper and a lot less hassle to just grind a rim.

Also a rim with a permanent 'grind' would eat pads like crazy. There has to be some give somewhere.

Edited by 6ft-midget

it would be cheaper in the long run, it would to buy it all but if have a new rim every year thats £40 for a good one or buy a aluminum ring for £10 it would soon all add up, but if you have the rim very thin and half the thickness of a normal sidewall and then it will be reinforced by the ring it would be the same weight, the only added weight would be the bolts and nuts :) but they could be light weight aswell if there chromoly or some thing :P

Onza once tried this with a knurled rim. Would've lasted a long time, but it ate pads very quickly! Plus the tooling involved to make each rim was very time consuming and costly, so they scrapped the idea.

Best thing to do is just go dual disc. ;)

Plasmatic used to do a ceramic type coating on DX32 rims (Atleast 6-7 year ago mind!), there was 3 different levels of harshness, the harshest one would make black magura pads work like the best trials pad from what I had heard but they would wear down in a week or so!

You could make a mega harsh grind, but it would not actualy be beneficial to brake power, light to medium grinds provide the best feeling and working brake for most conditions, the only time that a mega harsh grind might be needed would be in wet and muddy conditions. And as has been said already any grind will wear due to the brake pad rubbing the surface of the rim.

Adam

well i always thought since the age of 5 that the disc brakes on the front of my MTB had holes in because when you pull the lever a metal bolt goes through it stopping the wheel dead...that was not the case BUT it could work you'd just need some seriously strong joins and some seriously strong bolt...

it would be cheaper in the long run, it would to buy it all but if have a new rim every year thats £40 for a good one or buy a aluminum ring for £10 it would soon all add up, but if you have the rim very thin and half the thickness of a normal sidewall and then it will be reinforced by the ring it would be the same weight, the only added weight would be the bolts and nuts :) but they could be light weight aswell if there chromoly or some thing :P

An alu' ring... isn't that a rim anyway? just without a middle as such? two sides no middle.. it'd cost fairly similar to be honest, meaning it'd be more expensive surely?

well i always thought since the age of 5 that the disc brakes on the front of my MTB had holes in because when you pull the lever a metal bolt goes through it stopping the wheel dead...that was not the case BUT it could work you'd just need some seriously strong joins and some seriously strong bolt...

Hahaha I though the exact same!

An alu' ring... isn't that a rim anyway? just without a middle as such? two sides no middle.. it'd cost fairly similar to be honest, meaning it'd be more expensive surely?

yeah but it wouldnt take as much labout to build,it would just be cut a ring from a aluminium sheet with the diameter of 20", 19", 24" and 26" :) there must be some way of getting the costs down, surely ?

Edited by multi tasking male

It'd be silly expensive to build additional rings and fittings as opposed to just stamping out a rim dude :P

For what you pay for a rim, even if you feel the need to grind your rim frequently, they should last you a good while. If you're grinding so frequently that your rim doesn't last, there's most likely be something wrong with either your brake setup or the material the rim is made from!

It'd be silly expensive to build additional rings and fittings as opposed to just stamping out a rim dude :P

For what you pay for a rim, even if you feel the need to grind your rim frequently, they should last you a good while. If you're grinding so frequently that your rim doesn't last, there's most likely be something wrong with either your brake setup or the material the rim is made from!

I just have 6 grinds in one year so i don't grind that frequently :giggle:

it was just a thought ,I don't have problems with buying new rims and the brake is super good atm :lol:

thanks anyway

Maybe i'm missing something but i had one light/medium grind on my rim two/three years ago i haven't touched it since and i use heatsink yellows in normal backings, no booster and i've never had any issus with the brake holding ever and i mean ever. It just holds and holds and holds.....

I wonder if people grind too frequently so the brake never really beds in as the braking surface is always in a state of change.

Again: 2/3 year old grind. Heatsink Yellows. Locks every single time.

I remember years ago a mate used a hacksaw to do some small groves in his rim maybe 1mm deep 5mm apart kind of worked..

Maybe it's possible to do but not really worth while in the long run, just grind your rim doesn't take long